More than 5 controllers?

doom.ooseventh

More than 5 controllers?

Post by doom.ooseventh »

Hi guys, fantastic app =)
However, I'm having a bit of pain ton set it up, because I've got 10 controllers and... Past 5 controllers, I already have all the keys of my keyboard used! What can I do to configure more?
thanks a lot =)

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: More than 5 controllers?

Post by Jonathan »

Are you configuring Xpadder to play a game?

doom.ooseventh

Post by doom.ooseventh »

Yes... Precisely, Saturn Bomberman =) Or the fantastic 6-player X-Men on MAME...

Edit: What I'm doing is that I made an Eventghost script (also a fantastic app) which automatically loads the good Xpadder profile according to the pad I plugin... But for every controller I've got, I have to make 1 profile per "player position", for instance if I plug, in this particular order:

Pad A
Pad C
Pad B

It will load into Xpadder, the profile for player 1 with pad A, the profile for player 2 with pad C, and the profile for player 3 with pad B...
Thanks to this, when friends come and we play to some emu games, I only have to plug the first pad I have in hand (I've got many different models) and everything will be configured accordingly automatically, i never have to configure a button...
But it only works up to five players at this time =(

doom.ooseventh

Post by doom.ooseventh »

A little up guys, it would be cool =)
If it isn't doable don't worry I' won't blame you =p
But if there was even a remote imperfect way... I'd be.. Ah.. =p
Maybe assigning ascii or unicode chars? other keystroke data? or it won't ever work like that?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

There is a command line profile order bug that you may be able to use!
The bug means that Xpadder will load profile1 onto whichever controller Windows sees as the first controller and not the first controller in the Xpadder settings.
If you use different controllers and connect then differently each time then this bug will bypass any ordering problems.
Create 1 profile for each player and start Xpadder via "Xpadder.exe player1profile player2profile" etc

The Windows order of controllers is based on the USB port order not the order you connect controllers. Each port is checked in order so you will have to experiment to see which controller gets priority.

Alternatively, if you start Xpadder with a long list of profiles on the command line and then connect controllers one at a time then Xpadder will assign the first profile in the list to the connected controller and remove the profile from the list. The second controller you connect will then get the second profile in the list (now the first one because the original first one has been removed).

All this assumes that your controller layouts are similar enough to handle a generic profile.

If none of these ideas work can you list the controllers you have.

doom.ooseventh

Post by doom.ooseventh »

lol in fact I already made use of this bug in my script but the main problem is to have simultaneously 10 players! Which means 10 profiles loaded on xpadder... on 13 buttons paddle it makes something like 130 different keyswhich have to be active at the same time... and as far as I know keyboards are roughly 102 keys... and many keys can't be used (escape, print screen, ...) in some emulators...

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

doom.ooseventh wrote:A little up guys, it would be cool =)
If it isn't doable don't worry I' won't blame you =p
But if there was even a remote imperfect way... I'd be.. Ah.. =p
Maybe assigning ascii or unicode chars? other keystroke data? or it won't ever work like that?
Ok, I've woken up now :D
What you're suggesting is a method of simulating more keys than exist on the keyboard. You don't care if the key exists - you just need Xpadder to simulate it so the emulator can differentiate between more than 102 keys?
While it does depend on the emulator it should be possible to simulate 254 different codes and maybe more using a different method. For example, Windows can simulate up to 24 function keys even though most keyboards only have 12.
I've added it to my recently reorganized to-do list and I'll see what I can do in the future.

doom.ooseventh

Post by doom.ooseventh »

Thanks for the interest ^^

I've thought of another solution too :
wouldn't it be possible to map... (it will sound strange because it's clearly at the opposite of the "standard" goal of Xpadder)... gamepads to themselves!
Not exactly to themselves, in fact, but to "other gamepad buttons"

For instance to map the gamepad 1 button 3 to gamepad 2 button 7.

=D thanks!

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Gamepad button emulation is a different area and there are no plans to add it to Xpadder.
If a game or emulator can read all those buttons anyway then its best to program them directly using the gamepad.

Return to “Multiplayer/multi-controller problems”