Does this software support 360 Wireless controllers?

Ultrapro

Does this software support 360 Wireless controllers?

Post by Ultrapro »

Hi there,

I have been having problems with my pc gaming of late, it appears to relate to my Saitek controller that I use. Basically on a selection of my games it seems to crash them (blue screen) once I load the profile and begin loading the game. I have 360 wireless controllers but had a few questions before I buy the Crossfire wireless receiver and your software,

My questions are as follows:

I don't really want to have to buy a wireless receiver as I have my Saitek, will this software work with a Saitek controller?? Or would it be better to just use another controller as the Saitek one comes with its own software?

If I do buy the Crossfire and use my wireless controller with it instead of the Saitek, will the controller (with your software) work with any game?? By any game I mean any relatively recent game (a list of the games I have trouble with via my Saitek can be seen below)

Battlefield 2
Halflife Generations
Prince Of Persia Sands Of Time
Ford Racing 2
Quake 2
Far Cry

The Saitek does seem to work with Crysis, Beyond Good And Evil, Colin Mcrae rally 2.0 and a few others such as hitman. I can't work out why though!!

Anyway if you software can help to solve my problem I would be very happy. I would be willing to buy the crossfire if that is the more reliable option. Thanks

Pro

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Does this software support 360 Wireless controllers?

Post by Jonathan »

A controller causing a blue screen means its a driver problem. Make sure you are using the latest version of the driver by going to the official website and make sure you download the exact one for your controller. It may also help to download the latest DirectX.

Xpadder works fine with both Saitek and Xbox 360 controllers.

Xpadder reads your controller and then simulates keypresses and mouse actions. It doesn't add joystick options to a game but it allows you to play the game using a joystick (although not directly).
This means that any game that works with a keyboard and mouse (!) should work with Xpadder.

I cannot confirm that all of those games will work perfectly because I have played none of them on the PC. I'm sure someone else can confirm if they work or not but generally its only some MMORPGs that have issues with Xpadder.

Ultrapro

Post by Ultrapro »

Hi there!

Thanks for the quick reply.

Sorry I should've mentioned, I did actually download and install the latest Driver and Software versions from Saitek last night because thats when I got Far Cry and installed it, because I googled the problem and it threw back a response in their technical help section but it still seems to happen.

When you say Joystick do you mean those age old actual joysticks or are you talking about the analogue sticks on controllers??

I am wondering if the Saitek AND my graphics card are a problem, because my saitek seems to work ok on my laptop. I will try a few things tonight and see what I can figure out, probably will uninstall the Saitek software and drivers completely.

Anyway sorry I don't mean to approach you about my problem with the Saitek!!

But I am interested to know how exactly it will work( your software I mean) For instance, if I download your software, and have a Saitek controller, will I still need to install the software/driver for the controller? Or does your software do all the leg work?

Would it just be easier/safer to buy the Crossfire and your software? I really don't want to risk my pc crashing anymore as it has already happened quite a few times!!

I will try the games tonite on my machine again after I have uninstalled and disconnected the Saitek controller. Thanks again!!

Pro

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder is completely dependant on your gamepad driver. You will need a driver installed. Xpadder is only a program and does not replace your driver.

By joystick I mean Games Controller. Games still tend to use the term joystick so I use that word when discussing problems. Game Controllers is a more accurate phrase and includes joysticks and everything that came after them!

Blue screens are a pain to fix. If you can try your Saitek on both your PC and your laptop with the same OS, same gamepad driver and same game and get a blue screen on the PC but not the laptop then it must be a problem on your PC with a conflicting driver or hardware (such as the graphics card).

If you do decide to upgrade to an Xbox 360 controller then the wired and wireless drivers are both very stable and I highly recommend both, especially the wireless for the freedom is gives you.

Ultrapro

Post by Ultrapro »

Ok thanks for the info, I will probably pick up the wireless receiver for my pc as I would prefer that anyway!!

I am worried that it will turn out to be my PC that is the problem. I think I will simply remove the Saitek Controller (hardware and software) and try the games again without it to try and rule that out. Reason being is that I believe it has blue screened before without a profile being selected. Although I can't be 100% sure. Even so, the Saitek controller was connected and the profile editor software always running while trying to play the games so maybe that is the problem. Anyway Once I've got the wireless receiver I will download your software from your site. My other problem is that my laptop is pretty old and won't be able to run hardly any of the games I mentioned, but I will see what I can do. Thanks again for your help!!

Pro

Ultrapro

Post by Ultrapro »

Hi there,

Right so I tried my pc out again last night, uninstalled the Saitek and Reinstalled Battlefield 2. WORKS LIKE A BLOODY CHARM!! So it must've been the configuration or the wrong driver or something that my pc didn't like. So anyway Battlefield 2 now plays well and so does Far Cry, and might I say thanks to my recently bought ATI 512 AGP card they both look astounding!!

Anyway question again!! Or rather this is more of a concern than anything. Is it possible then that my computer will react like this to all controllers?

Anyway as soon as I get paid I'll be picking up the Crossfire and the xpadder software, it looks very cool. Thanks!

Pro

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

A different controller would use different drivers and I think it would be highly unlikely that the same blue screen problem would occur.
This assumes that the controller was the cause. If you do try another controller and get a blue screen then it's got nothing to do with controllers - perhaps a memory fault or something.
The best (and cheapest) option is to borrow a friends controller and see.

Ultrapro

Post by Ultrapro »

Hi there,

Well I am pretty sure it was just the Saitek as Far Cry worked the first time I played without a profile, then I created a profile and it started crashing, and now it works fine again, and the same for Battlefield 2. It is unlikely it is my pc hardware as plenty of other games worked fine while the Saitek was in use. Crysis for one. Anyway its no big issue, I already have 2 xbox 360 wireless controllers and will just pick up the crossfire receiver for my pc.

I did have one question though, your software apparently supports up to 4 controllers connected at once, correct? And the Crossfire handles 4 controllers too, but what can you actually do with that? I mean is it possible to play pc games in multiplayer offline? I would be amazed if you could as I have 2 monitors and would definitely invest some time into working out how to do this, I would love to have 2 screens, 1 displaying 1 players game, the 2nd displaying player 2. But I suppose that is impossible. Anyway just interested to know your thoughts on the 4 controller support, does a game even exist that supports this? thanks

Pro

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder can handle up to 16 controllers at once but the Xbox 360 receiver can only handle 4.

There are many games that use multiplayer offline. How about 2 player Lego Star Wars or 4 player Bomberman on a SNES emulator ;)

Many new PC games tend to focus on multiplayer online because it's difficult to add support for multiple players around a keyboard, especially as the mouse control can only be used by one person.
Emulated and flash multiplayer games tend to ignore the mouse so they work perfectly with Xpadder.

Ultrapro

Post by Ultrapro »

Ok thats actually a good thought, I might try that. I already have the Nintendo 64 emulator, and would certainly consider for instance a Dreamcast emulator.

I did wonder though, if you CAN play a multiplayer game on your pc offline, is it possible to split the screens so that 1 display is on one monitor and the other is on another monitor?? So for example, it would be just like 2 system linked 360's, 2 seperate screens, 1 with what player 1 sees, the other with what player 2 sees, only having both monitors connected to your pc instead of two seperate consoles? I suppose its probably never been done and wouldn't work but was just a thought really. Kind of an old school split screen thats actually split between 2 monitors rather than 2 halves of the same 1!! Anyway just a thought, thanks again for the info/support/chat!

Pro

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Displaying different players on different screens is technically possible but I don't know of any games that do that.

Return to “Cannot find controller”