connecting 360 controller

simplycannotsitstill

connecting 360 controller

Post by simplycannotsitstill »

just got xpadder and it will not reconise my controller. Now im not the saviest on the computer but i have jumped through all the hurdles and still cannot get padder to reconise my controller.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Re: connecting 360 controller

Post by FARSTRIDER »

is it a wireless controller? if so you need one of these https://www.microsoft.com/games/en-US/H ... ndows.aspx to use it

ijfarmer

Post by ijfarmer »

I have the usb connected 360 controller, after downloading and selecting run I get the following message instantly:
DirectInput Error
Command
EnumDevices (Exception)

A device is preventing the controller scan from completing. Remove all non-controller devices and restart this program. If you are using the DirectX SDK check that the Retail Version of DirectInput is selected in the DirectX Control Panel. For assistance, please visit the website xpadder.com

with an OK link, which when selected leaves Xpadder on a continual search. Do I disconnect all other usb connectors and try again? If I close Xpadder I have to reboot pc to get it to run again. I have Windows XP

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If the automatic scanning has been disabled, then there should be three instead of two buttons in the upper right corner of the main window. You need to click on the first one, the one with the magnifying glass to start a manual controller scan.

You need to close Xpadder before you can restart it.

ijfarmer

Post by ijfarmer »

No third button, same happening this morning on initial boot up!

ijfarmer

Post by ijfarmer »

OK, sorted, seems Xpadder could not find it in the USB slots that I tried, swapped it to where I had mouse connected, rebooted pc and there it is. plugged all other USB connected devices one at a time, rebooting after each and no conflicts now. Amazing how my brain worked better after some decent sleep!

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

i have the same error message, and i've tried plugging the controller in different usb slots, no lukc
(windows 8 32bit updated the directx earlier today)

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Is is the official controller and if so are you using the drivers that Windows automatically installed when you first plugged it in?

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

It's an official Xbox 360 controller and I'm using the drivers which are automatically installed plus drivers which I downloaded form Microsoft.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Some things to try:

1) Remove all other USB devices first
2) Try every other USB slot
3) Disable Automatic Scanning as mentioned above by Primal
4) Are you using the DX SDK - if so check the control panel
5) Does the Game Controllers Control Panel list your controller ok and can you perform its test on it?
6) Copy Xpadder to a USB drive and test your controller with it on another PC

We don't get this error often - it's something to do with setups of certain PCs

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

Thanks,
1) done, same error
2) done, same error in all three
3) I'm not sure if it's disabed, but there's the little maginfying glass is moving and there'es two buttons in the top right
4) I don't know how to check that
5) Yes, it recognises it apart form the triggers which don't seem to do anything (works on my xbox fine)
6) I've tried it on my other pc and that works fine, also it used to work on the affected laptop before i bought a new hard drive and installed windows 8

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, so it's not a USB issue, the controller is detected by Windows ok (control panel cannot pick up triggers so that is ok), the controller itself is good so it must be a DirectX problem with your current setup.

First disable the automatic scanning in the Xpadder settings. This will prevent the magnifying glass animation from appearing and Xpadder will only scan for the controller when you click the Scan button (that will now be visible in the top-right).
If the error appears when clicking this Scan button then we need to look at your DirectX installation.

If it is installed the DirectX Control Panel is in the main Windows Control Panel - this should provide some info.
If not try running dxdiag.exe and see if it contains any error information.

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

okay, i found how to disable auto checking and the porblem still occurs, what should i look for in the directx thing?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

It should show information about any errors and whether all the files are correctly installed. Have a look through each of the tabs for any error information.

When you tested on another PC was that one running Windows 8 also?

I don't have access to Windows 8 at the moment - can anyone running Windows 8 with a wired Xbox 360 controller confirm that it works ok?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

I just tested my wired 360 s controller on my windows 8 RTM enterprise 32bit WTG trial install works fine in xpadder but in the game controller Cpl(only the Cpl) I cant seem to see the triggers status change even after successful calibration

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

It didnt show any errors and everything is fine
no, i dont have access to anohter pc running wondows 8, and the other pc's it worked on were running 7 and vista

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Are you using the final version of Windows 8 or one of the preview versions?

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

I got it through a student thing, so about a week or two before the official release, so i'll assume a slightly early version

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

The version and architecture is displayed in the Xpadder Help button window. Click the Help button in the top-right corner of the main window. We can then check with the same Windows version to see if this is a Windows version specific error.

stephan.doehr

Post by stephan.doehr »

Hi,

i have the same problem. Here is what the help window shows:

_____

Help

About

Detailed help is available on the website xpadder.com

Version

System
Windows 8 Build9200 64bit
XInput v1.3 DirectX 2007+
Last edited by Primal Fear on 15 Nov 2012, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed credits and everything behind, as unnecessary

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

Help

About

Detailed help is available on the website xpadder.com

Version

System
Windows 8 Build9200 32bit
XInput v1.3 DirectX 2007+
Last edited by Primal Fear on 15 Nov 2012, 23:06, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed credits and everything behind, as unnecessary

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I tested an initial Xbox 360 wired connection on a clean installation of Windows 8 build 9200 (the final build) and had no problems.
I did notice that Xpadder listed "XInput X9.1.0 (Windows)" in the About box which means you have both installed DirectX since Windows 8 was installed.
I wonder whether this has introduced a problem.
Try opening File Explorer and searching for "dinput.dll" on your C drive.
The default file properties (in 32bit) are 132KB (2012-07-26) v6.2.9200.16384
Do these match your file?

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

The product version matches, and so does the date modified yet it's 282kb in size

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, I have released a new nightly build here
This should give us some more information.

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

this message:

Error

DirectInput Error

Command
EnumDevices

Error
Exception

Controllers

A device is preventing the controller scan from completing. Remove all non-
controller devices and restart this program. If you are using the DirectX SDK check
that the Retail Version of DirectInput is selected in the DirectX Control Panel. For
assistance, please visit the website xpadder.com

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

This means that Xpadder found 1 controller and then an error occurred because it found something else.
Try this new version with the controller unplugged and see if the error message appears.
Also, are you using the wired or wireless version (with the wireless receiver) of the controller?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Had a quick idea. :idea:
Do you have a touch screen?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

As well as answering those 2 questions here is a quick tool that does the scanning bit that Xpadder does.
Try running it and see what it says.

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

It says:
Scan Result=0
(sorry for the late replies)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

And what about the two questions above?

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

oh yeh, wired, and i dont have a touchscreen computer, no

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, so this seems fine.
Please can you now try it with your Xbox 360 controller attached. This result should be interesting.

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

The scanning tool?
I already said what happened

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, the scanning tool. I guess that Jonathan was assuming that you were running the tool without having the Xbox360pad connected (as I did too), as it should find at least 1 device (the xbox360pad) if it is connected. I don't think that it helps now to run the tool without the controller, but it cannot hurt. Maybe it reveals something unexpected, I mean the 0 is probably wrong too if I understand the sense of this tool correctly.

Also does Xpadder show the error message too, if the Xbox360pad is not connected?

Stanleyckuntz

Post by Stanleyckuntz »

So i have an adapter that connects wireless Xbox 360 controllers to usb. i believe it installed an odd driver, in device manager it is not categorized as a game-pad / game controllers. the driver falls under "Microsoft Common Controller for Windows Class" instead of "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" so maybe the software doesn't even look for it?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The section "Sound, Video and Game Controllers" has nothing to do with USB Game Controllers, I suppose that name comes out of the time when game controllers were connected to game port of the sound card. USB game controllers are listed under "Human Interface Devices". Xbox360pads have also another entry in an own section, "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class". In the end it should look like here, at least in Windows XP, Vista and 7. I don't know exactly if it also has to be that way in Windows 8, but I would expect that.

The wireless receiver itself is a own device as it can handle up to 4 wireless Xbox360pads, it should have it's own entry under "Microsoft Common Controller For Windows Class".

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

Sorry for not responding
the scanning tool says Scan Result=0 whether the controller is connected or not

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

This is strange. Is the controller listed in the Game Controllers Control Panel at the same time when you get Scan Result=0?

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

My laptop died, and the windows 8 has been re-installed (should still be the same version mind)
but i now do not have access to the controller tool, could you either re-send it or change the permissions?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You should be able to download Xpadder at any time here. You only need to login into your forum account.

ruthbarlow

Post by ruthbarlow »

My windows was re-installed after a drive partition error and now it all works fine -_-
Thank you for the previous support, you are an excellent dev, sorry that i cannot help fix the issue.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Probably there was simply something wrong with your Windows installation. Such problems are hard to find and often not even fixable without reinstalling Windows.
The problem is that you sometimes don't even know if it is worth to do this large step, or if you will have the same problem after going through this trouble.

mail325

Xpadder cannot find Xbox360 controller

Post by mail325 »

Please help!

I too am having problems having XPadder recognise my XBOX 360 controller.

I just bought and downloaded XPadder today, connected the controller, but it is not recognised.

I am using a brand new machine with WIndows 8 and a wired XBOX 360 controller. I have tried a all the USB ports on my PC - each time I connect I get a confirmation sound from Windows. The control panel seems to list the controller okay.

I have tried the above suggestion of switching off automatic detection and I do get the third button but cannot click on on it. My machine is running Direct X 11.

Many thanks

Stephen

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Press Windows Key+R, type Control Printers and press Enter to open the Devices and Printers.
Press Windows Key+R again, type this time joy.cpl and press Enter to open the Game Controller Control Panel.
Is your controller listed in both windows when it is connected or only in Devices and Printers?

Return to “Cannot find controller”