PS3 Tilt + Analog

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

PS3 Tilt + Analog

Post by Oke_Doke »

I thought I would share my solution to getting everything working with the ps3 controller in xpadder.
I really wanted the Tilt inputs and use of the triggers* and analog sticks. (all at once that is) This is what i came up with.

Step1: In motioninjoy's DS3 tool: I added the tilt axis as a slider and dial input. (Turns out Xpadder just treats these as sliders)
Step2: Remap the Trigger inputs in Xpadder as follows *
Slider1+full
Slider2+full
Name them if you like (instead of trigger left trigger right)
This gives you the full range of your tilt inputs. neutral will be at 50%.

Step3:Add distance zones to the assignments for each input.

The distance zones act as the "deadzones" for your tilt.
For example [20%] [60%] will give you a 20% trigger area on each side.
You can make the "deadzone" as large or as small as you like e.g. [30%][40%] (30% active zones), [40%][20%] (40% active zones).

(i did the math wrong in the image, there should be 4 20% zones here not 3)

After that your set to assign key sequences to your axis. Just place your sequences on either side of the distance zones.

*caveat: PS3 actual Triggers are mapped as Digital buttons. I can live with that. :)

adaweawe

Re: PS3 Tilt + Analog

Post by adaweawe »

I have been trying to figure out how to enable the addition axes in SIXAXIS. I use motionjoy which only enables tilt and pitch. ...Anyone got any way?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I'm pretty sure that PS3 pad actually only detects tilt and pitch. I know up and down on the PS3 only as shaking and that causes a wild movement all over these two axes, which will probably be interpreted by the game.
The other thing would be that Sony is seemingly confident that up&down, left&right and forward&backward are two axes each, which comes up to six in their exes. :roll:

If somebody knows it better, please let us know.

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

Six-axis is not a misnomer. It doesn't apply to only the controller's motion but to the sum of all of the available analog inputs.

When you use DXinput, If you don't count the triggers or d-pad, the ds3 really does send up to 6 axis inputs.

This is an example of what you would see with all the axis enabled.

As you can see my ds3 tool is currently configured to send the analog sticks as Axis X,Y,Z, and Rz, while the controller roll and pitch are mapped as Ry and Rx respectively.

Slider 1 and 2 are actualy "Slider" and "Dial" to the DS3 tool. which could be mapped to the d-pad or triggers. fun fun.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Ah, OK.
But at this point of view Sony forgot the triggers, which means it should be called "EIGHTAXIS" :ugeek: (the triggers are working independently from each other on the PS3).

Oke_Doke
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Oke_Doke »

And the buttons are still pressure sensitive. So yea "Ad-nauseumaxis" might be apropos in the most literal case. :D

Return to “Problems detecting controller buttons, triggers or other”