Issue with Trigger using a PS3 controller

aron.gann

Issue with Trigger using a PS3 controller

Post by aron.gann »

Hello, all.

I am new to these forums, but am familiar with xpadder. (A friend showed it to me and how to use it.) Before I get into the issue, I want to say that I searched the forums for the issue I'm having and couldn't locate it. (needle in a haystack)

My issue is during the layout setup. I got to the triggers and after I held the buttons as requested by the program it set them up; however, when I released the Right Trigger, the left is constantly activated. So whenever I play whatever game (ex: Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion) it's as if I'm holding the button.

The driver I'm using is DS3 Tool and I've never had an issue like this before. Whenever I go into the Devices and select my device to test the buttons and calibrate it the Z axis is centered when nothing is pressed, whenever I press the Left trigger it slides to the left and right it slides to the right. So it seems the driver and controller are functioning, but Xpadder isn't reading it or something. Help?

EDIT: I need to make a correction, the program is DS3 Tool. The actual driver name is Motioninjoy Gamepad. It reads all of the buttons and axi when pressed or used. (full sixaxis capabilities.) Not sure if that has anything to do with it...

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Issue with Trigger using a PS3 controller

Post by Jonathan »

In the main Xpadder window is one of the trigger buttons green all the time? They should both be white and only turn green if you squeeze that particular trigger. As they are both on the Z axis Xpadder can only detect one or the other.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

That's a problem of Motionsinjoy. If you configure it the way that it uses one axis for the triggers, this axis is slightly too far out of the middle when no trigger is pressed.

If you use the most recent version Motioninjoy (and the program should tell you when a new version is available if it has contact to the internet), this issue should actually not occur anymore with the default configurations, as it handles the triggers now as simple digital buttons. Therefore it uses now two axes for tilting and pitching the controller.

If you have made a new config yourself with the triggers charing one axis, this problem will of course still occur. The easiest solution, if you want to have analog triggers in Xpadder, is to choose a full axis for each trigger.
Or alternatively you can select "Xbox 360 Controllers Emulator" in the DS3 Tool, so your PS3pad will work like a Xbox360pad.

Another possibility would be to change the default trigger Deadzone in Xpadder. You can do that in the settings of Xpadder, click on the tool symbol in the upper right of the main window, click in the opening settings window on "Values" and increase the value for the "Default Trigger DeadZone" slightly (it doesn't even have to be 1%).
Close the settings window with OK and the problem should be fixed after loading the profile again.

aron.gann

Post by aron.gann »

To answer Jonathan's question (thank you very much for this wonderful program) yes, it's constantly lit green. Whenever I press the "R2" button, the "L2" button is no longer green and the "R2" lights up.

I attempted the XBOX 360 emulator and my computer sees it as an xbox controller, but xpadder isn't picking it up for some reason. I'm going to double check to ensure I have the latest version. It hasn't prompted me to download anything, but I haven't updated it in a year and I'm pretty sure that may be the issue. I attempted to change the deadzone up 1% and it did nothing. So, I raised it to 50% still nothing. I'll keep messing with it in the meantime, but I can usually figure stuff like this out. The thing that throws me off is that I used motioninjoy on my buddy's computer and all buttons functioned just fine. (Games like Quake 4 and Doom 3.) So that's my next step. I'll post again if I'm still having issues.

EDIT: Downloading the latest version worked. So it was actually a driver issue not xpadder. :) Thanks so much. But whenever I downloaded the latest version, it screwed up my button arrangement, so I basically have to start over. Worse things have happened.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes they have changed the button order and the axes they are using for the right stick in an update. I hope the won't do that again.
But if you like you can change that back in the DS3 Tool by clicking on "=>Options" behind "Playstation3". You can find the former button order here.

Return to “Problems detecting controller buttons, triggers or other”