Windows 8 Controller Layout + Other Issues

xDevlinx21

Windows 8 Controller Layout + Other Issues

Post by xDevlinx21 »

Controller Layout

Okay, so I'm running Windows 8 Pro x64 + Wireless Xbox 360 Controller and when I go to make a new profile, I can't load / paste any controller images. Not even custom ones. I've followed all the instructions to make my own, I've tried copying the images from the Database and nothing works. I just get a blank White Screen and no images loading.

Set Up

Every time I run Xpadder, it starts up like it's the first time it's been run. I've tried saving a new profile but I don't see any ".ini" files being created.

Freezing

I've had Xpadder starting to freeze up on me at random times and just recently it's been pretty constant, whether I'm trying to edit the Controller Layout or navigating the menus. I'll have to force quit.
Any help / suggestions is much appreciated! :D

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Windows 8 Controller Layout + Other Issues

Post by Primal Fear »

Controller Image/crashes: Some Windows 8 users have exactly these problems, try running Xpadder as admin like explained here.
Can you also please check something? Press Windows key+R, type UserAccountControlSettings (or simply copy&paste it) and press Enter. Is in the opening User Acc window the third (default) or the fourth position from below selected?

Startup dialog/missing .ini: I guess you run Xpadder from your program files folder. Because of Windows UAC programs without administrator rights cannot save config files there. Running Xpadder as admin fixes this problem too, but you can also simply place the Xpadder.exe somewhere else, for example in a own folder under "My Documents".

xDevlinx21

Post by xDevlinx21 »

Primal Fear wrote:Controller Image/crashes: Some Windows 8 users have exactly these problems, try running Xpadder as admin like explained here.
Can you also please check something? Press Windows key+R, type UserAccountControlSettings (or simply copy&paste it) and press Enter. Is in the opening User Acc window the third (default) or the fourth position from below selected?

Startup dialog/missing .ini: I guess you run Xpadder from your program files folder. Because of Windows UAC programs without administrator rights cannot save config files there. Running Xpadder as admin fixes this problem too, but you can also simply place the Xpadder.exe somewhere else, for example in a own folder under "My Documents".
I tire of UAC so I always make sure that's the first thing I turn off.
It was default set to run as admin from when I downloaded it. I tried it from my Downloads folder, My Documents folder.
See picture:

Anything else I should be trying? Thanks for your reply! :) :leftthumbup:

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

xDevlinx21 wrote:It was default set to run as admin from when I downloaded it.
Actually this is impossible. Except perhaps Windows8 does that automatically for every program if UAC is disabled. But that wouldn't make any sense as it doesn't matter anyways as UAC is disables. :?

With UAC is disabled, Xpadder should be able to save the Xadder.ini anywhere. But you need to make sure to close Xpadder in a clean way either like explained here (so not via Task Manager) or by shutting down your PC normally (so not via a forced shutdown when Windows shows you that Xpadder cannot be closed, which is usually the case when you have unsaved controller file or profile data).

One thing you should definitely do is disabling the compatibility mode (and maybe also run as admin as it doesn't matter anyways).

Return to “Problems detecting controller buttons, triggers or other”