Cannot get ALT+F4 working

PlayingKarrde

Cannot get ALT+F4 working

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Hey there,

I downloaded XPadder so that I can have ALT+F4 mapped to a button on my controller so I can close emulators with ease, but for some reason I cannot get it to do that.

For some reason, no matter what I try, it simply won't read ALT+F4. I can get it doing other key combinations as a test and that works fine, but it just will not close programs.

Can anyone help me out? It's the final piece of the puzzle to getting a fully working emulator setup in my media center.

Thanks.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Cannot get ALT+F4 working

Post by Primal Fear »

Alt+F4 is working without any restriction for me. Maybe you have to run Xpadder as admin because of Windows UAC.

PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Ah that is highly likely! I'll be sure to test that when I get home. I think that could definitely be the case since I noticed I couldn't ctrl+alt+del too (as a test).

Thanks!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Ctrl+Alt+Del doesn't work anyways. SGTCableDog has said once here in the forum that this is because it is hardware based signal that requires a real keyboard (in short).
Use Ctrl+Shift+Esc instead to open the Task Manager.

PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Hmm tried running as admin but still no joy. Maybe I'm setting it up incorrectly? I'm just clicking on ALT then on F4. I've also tried doing it in the advanced section like this. Am I doing it wrong? I think not since CTRL+SHIFT+ESC works no problem.

For what it's worth I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

as what Primal Fear said i had also remembered SGTCableDog(or was it Jonathan) mentioning in a post that some system key combos are reserved for the os. so maybe anything that uses alt cant be set

PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Primal Fear mentioned it's working for him but yes, this is what I was thinking after CTRL+ALT+DEL didn't work.

Can you suggest some other way to achieve what I'm after? I just bought this program so I can exit emulators with my pad so I'm really hoping I can achieve this somehow.

Cheers in advance.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Do you use Alt or AltGr? It has to be Alt.

Another way would be to make a sequence in the advanced assignment window, that ends the emulation opens the file menu and selects "Exit". So for Project 64 in English:
F12;Pause0.01;Alt;Pause0.01;F;Pause0.01;X

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

[Alt]+[F4] is the short cut to close the current in focus window so it should be able to be emulated. My guess is since the key code for [Alt] is numerically higher than the code for [F4] so Xpadder will send [F4] a fraction of second before the [Alt]. So I think we need to trick Xpadder to sending [Alt] first.

Someone came up with this idea (probably Primal): [Alt][HoldZone .01s][Alt][F4].

PlayingKarrde

Post by PlayingKarrde »

Right...

So I managed to figure it out. Actually SGTCableDog it was your suggestion that helped me track the problem down, although it wasn't what you suggested.

I wasn't getting anything from your suggestion so I upped the hold time to 0.5s. What I ended up getting then was the start menu popping up as if I was pressing the windows key. This then set a light bulb off.

I had set up an autohotkey script to swap my windows key and my alt key (because I'm using a mac keyboard) and this must be interfering with what Xpadder is doing. Turning off the script makes the xpadder script work. Crazy.

So now I need to try and figure out how to make them work together, but that at least is probably easier than this.

Thanks to everyone for the help!

-edit- setting it to Windows+F4 works. haha that's messed up but it makes sense when you think about it. Anyway, thanks again all.

Return to “How do I do this combo/sequence?”