Help, tap button hold to quit

anileator

Help, tap button hold to quit

Post by anileator »

Hi quick one

I am setting up xpadder with xbmc and emulators.

Following advice I am not using gamepad support in the emulators, instead I'm mapping through xpadder.
(Mostly... I think I'll use native support in PS2/N64 emulator, so I still get rumble and trigger sensitivity etc but I will also use a near blank xpadder profile, with the requested function from below).

It's advised to map a button to quit the emulator so you go back to XBMC (or whatever previous program).

However sometimes all my buttons will already be mapped out.

So I would like to be able to map a button (let's say Xbox's back button) that when tapped, sends a keypress, and when held down for 3 seconds presses Alt+F4 to quit the emulator BUT doesn't stay held down (which quits all my apps as they gain focus)

Any help here? Thanks.

UPDATE EDIT:
Searched and tweaked a little bit more. Is this 'correct'
Adding another hold zone after the ALT+F4 only sends it for that specified time (in this case .05 seconds) then does not send any more key presses?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Help, tap button hold to quit

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, Alt F4 will only be pressed for 0.05s. But if you intend to quit, you also hold Backspace in the three seconds before. If you add a Release Zone of 0.01 in front of Backspace and another Release Zone of 0.30 behind it, you will get Backspace only when tapping the button (directly after the button press).
I would also use also use a time 0.70 for the first Hold Zone. But if the three seconds are not too long for you, you can leave it that way.

anileator

Re: Help, tap button hold to quit

Post by anileator »

I wanted to set it to 3 seconds to definitely make sure that you intended to quit, holding down the back/select key button or whatever isn't an issue for me, it stops if you release before the 3 seconds so that's all it needs really in my opinion.

I can't think of any games you need to hold in select for, so I'll be using this button/command sequence across all games and emulators as that or a similar function, either way I think holding back for 3 seconds is acceptable for a 'QUIT' :)

I was thinking in the event of being distracted whilst pressing a button (eg being called from another room) and accidentally holding the key in.

Excellent, cheers Primal Fear, have tweaked and based a few of my other profile maps on your excellent examples and database.

Return to “How do I do this combo/sequence?”