Joystick rudder sensitivity

stealthstorm

Joystick rudder sensitivity

Post by stealthstorm »

Hi,

I've got the game War Thunder and a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, the only problem with this game is the sensitivity of the rudder, it's too much. So I bought Xpadder with the hope of it being able to change the sensitivity of the rudder. I've tried it with the Logitech Profiler but it didn't help one bit. The rudder can also be controlled with Q en E if this is of any use.

I want less sensitivity on the rudder, I've been messing around with the program but have not been able to get this working yet.

Is it possible and what is my best option in doing so?

pier4r

Re: Joystick rudder sensitivity

Post by pier4r »

(I'm a WT player too ;) )
Are you using the joystick axes as mouse emulation, and with that control the rudder? Or do you have set some buttons of the joystick as keyboard keys to control the rudder?

PS: anyway some images to use xpadder with more ease - http://xpadder.com/gcdb.php?make=Logite ... 203D%20Pro

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

I like to play in realistic control settings.

I've set Q to rudder left and E to rudder right in Xpadder. I've also done some settings with the mouse though but no luck in changing sensitivity of the rudder.

I've got the image allready in there.

Does your rudder work without the wobbly effect? Could you send me the config file of xpadder (and possibly War Thunder).

Btw, what is the use of using the joystick as mouse emulation if you can't control the rudder with the mouse in WT? Or is that possible? :?:

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Unfortunately i have an xbox 360 pad ( here my replies http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... er-anyone/ ) so i have a lot of axes to control my plane (even if i use mouse aim in the end, that is lethal in arcade mode).

I guess that the 3d extreme pro has only 2 axes (up/down ; left/right ) but we can sort these out imo. Now i open WT to see the realistic controls, just wait.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

pier4r wrote:Unfortunately i have an xbox 360 pad ( here my replies http://forum.warthunder.com/index.php?/ ... er-anyone/ ) so i have a lot of axes to control my plane (even if i use mouse aim in the end, that is lethal in arcade mode).

I guess that the 3d extreme pro has only 2 axes (up/down ; left/right ) but we can sort these out imo. Now i open WT to see the realistic controls, just wait.
I was just reading that post on WT. :D

My joystick's movement work fine though, except for the rudder. The rudder is the only problem, it should be less sensivite, more precise.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Important: WT recognize the joystick so, before any settings, set the control in WT as you want to use only keyboard and mouse. Then report these keys and mouse buttons in xpadder to emulate them with xpadder and your joystick.

Ok, given the assumption that you will use your joystick as a mouse, the realistic control have these axes:

But these are not a problem since you can fly with mouse control* (try mouse usage - relative or joystick). In that case remember: mouse control rudder means -> while i move the mouse, the plane should use the rudder more or less to turn?

If you want to control, anyway, each axis can be assigned to keys and key sensitivity can be modified, in xpadder, with turbo settings (less keypress or more keypress) and in WT with multiplier/relative steps and so on. You must play with controls a bit.

* and xpadder can't help so much if you don't want to fly with mouse control.
Last edited by pier4r on 08 Mar 2013, 19:18, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

pier4r wrote:I guess that the 3d extreme pro has only 2 axes (up/down ; left/right ) but we can sort these out imo. Now i open WT to see the realistic controls, just wait.
This joystick also has this rudder control and a slider. Rudder control means that you cannot only tilt the stick left/right/forward/backward, you can also twist it by moving your wrist.
The slider is a lever on the socket that basically works like a trigger on the Xbox360pad with the only difference that it isn't returning to zero on it's own. Slider are usually used to control the throttle.

@marioverkerk
I guess you have configured the rudder control as stick2 in Xpadder. When you click on the tool symbol near this stick and then on "Settings...", you can change there the DeadZone of the rudder. It defines how far you need to move it until it is triggering something.
According to pier4r's screenshot it seems like you can control the rudder in the game with the mouse, so I would recommend to go that way and to assign mouse left&right to the rudder controls of your joystick in Xpadder. Then you can adjust the sensitivity in Xpadder by changing the mouse emulation speed again by clicking on the tool symbol near stick 2 and then clicking on "Mouse Settings..." instead.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

Well I've been messing around with the tips you guys gave me but for some reason the game connects rudder and roll together in mouse/keybord mode, so when I try to use the rudder on my joystick, the plane starts rolling and using the rudder at the same time. Still working on trying to fix this.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

marioverkerk wrote:Well I've been messing around with the tips you guys gave me but for some reason the game connects rudder and roll together in mouse/keybord mode, so when I try to use the rudder on my joystick, the plane starts rolling and using the rudder at the same time. Still working on trying to fix this.
Yes, it's intended by WT. You can only select, when you turn, a threshold after that you roll instead of using the rudder. In fact is "Mouse contro: rudder " in other words "How much the mouse control [automated] will use the rudder".

To avoid that, put "mouse control: rudder" to zero (or close to it) and set as you want the yaw sensitivity.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

I'm afraid that because of that it's not going to work. Since the rudder hardly moves when moving the mouse left and right. Instead the plane just rolls very slowly now. Which should've been the rudder moving very slowly.

WT devs just wants to see the world burn I guess :cry: :x

I appreciate the help you guys have given me. :leftthumbup:

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

marioverkerk wrote:I'm afraid that because of that it's not going to work. Since the rudder hardly moves when moving the mouse left and right. Instead the plane just rolls very slowly now. Which should've been the rudder moving very slowly.

WT devs just wants to see the world burn I guess :cry: :x

I appreciate the help you guys have given me. :leftthumbup:
I suggest to you: play a bit (1) with mouse control rudder and yaw sensitivity (assing button/axis to yaw axis), it will work with the right setup ;)

(1) good setup needs time, i just found one great setup after 45h of trials in game.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

Yaw sensitivity is on the lowest and mouse control rudder at it's highest for maximum rudder control. It's impossible to have the rudder functioning normally with the mouse. You will see what I mean if you have it setup like that with a joystick. Moving the mouse left and right does not really move the rudder even though "mouse control:rudder" is set at max where it should be. When you press Q or E the rudder functions normall without the plane rolling. It just how WT works apparently when using the mouse.

I must either give up or find a different solution. Would be nice to have a sensitivity option for axis in Xpadder, that way I could change the sensitivity of the twist/rudder outside of War Thunder.

Using turbo in Xpadder isn't a option either because the rudder won't automatically turn back to it's normall position.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

marioverkerk wrote:Yaw sensitivity is on the lowest and mouse control rudder at it's highest for maximum rudder control. It's impossible to have the rudder functioning normally with the mouse. You will see what I mean if you have it setup like that with a joystick. Moving the mouse left and right does not really move the rudder even though "mouse control:rudder" is set at max where it should be. When you press Q or E the rudder functions normall without the plane rolling. It just how WT works apparently when using the mouse.

I must either give up or find a different solution. Would be nice to have a sensitivity option for axis in Xpadder, that way I could change the sensitivity of the twist/rudder outside of War Thunder.

Using turbo in Xpadder isn't a option either because the rudder won't automatically turn back to it's normall position.
Nuooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. yaw sensitivity is, actually, the rudder! If you set it to minumum, you can't use it!

Anyway yaw axis let you command the rudder, directly, while mouse rudder control let the flying instructor to use the rudder.

So
roll axis: wings
yaw axis: rudder
pitch axis: elevator
( http://www.grc.nasa.gov/WWW/k-12/airpla ... rplane.jpg )

To use the rudder with instructor you should set the same value for roll, pitch, and yaw sensitivity (i suggest, for a trial, 5-8 bars) then put the mouse rudder control to the max and see how the instructor use the rudder.

To use the rudder without much interference by the instructor you should set same values for roll, picth, yaw sensitivity, set a "normal" mouse control rudder and the set the yaw axis on some axis of the joystick. So you can control the yaw axis directly.

Try this pls and, to be clear, post the screenshot about yaw/picth/roll sensitivity and axis ;)

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

I know what is what :keen:

Having the value of yaw on the lowest makes the rudder move very slowly (it doesn't stop entirely), setting it higher makes the rudder move faster. No worries, I've tried different settings.

I don't have a flying instructor in realistic controls if that's what you mean.

Here are two pictures that show the rudder in-game

This one is when moved with the joystick twist/rudder + xpadder linked to left and right mouse movement, it's hard to see but the rudder actually moves a tiny bit:

http://s20.postimage.org/vo6ooj8p7/shot ... _45_22.jpg

This one is by just using Q on the keybord, rudder moves fully:

http://s20.postimage.org/66oa4xqyz/shot ... _47_08.jpg

It should move this far with a slow sensitivity. But mouse aim prevents that from happening I guess.

Settings when these screenshots were taken:

http://s20.postimage.org/rhlu9793f/shot ... _54_22.jpg

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

marioverkerk wrote:I know what is what :keen:

Having the value of yaw on the lowest makes the rudder move very slowly (it doesn't stop entirely), setting it higher makes the rudder move faster. No worries, I've tried different settings.

I don't have a flying instructor in realistic controls if that's what you mean.
Mumble, there are two instructors. One is the istructor shown in the game (to avoid stall and so on), one is the "mouse instructor" that select what axis should work to get a given direction. It's automated, out of the control of the pilot unless the pitol himself control these axes directly.
Here are two pictures that show the rudder in-game

This one is when moved with the joystick twist/rudder + xpadder linked to left and right mouse movement, it's hard to see but the rudder actually moves a tiny bit:

http://s20.postimage.org/vo6ooj8p7/shot ... _45_22.jpg

This one is by just using Q on the keybord, rudder moves fully:

http://s20.postimage.org/66oa4xqyz/shot ... _47_08.jpg

It should move this far with a slow sensitivity. But mouse aim prevents that from happening I guess.

Settings when these screenshots were taken:

http://s20.postimage.org/rhlu9793f/shot ... _54_22.jpg
Thanks a lot. One question: in the screenshot of settings throttle, roll and pitch axis are bind with the joystick axis. Are these settings with xpadder off?

Because if you want to use xpadder, then (at least it works for me), your joystick 's buttons/axis should not be assigned to any control. To be more clear: any button or axis of the joystick should be mapped to a key/mouse button and then used in the game. Mixing things doesn't help (from my experience).

For example, the following screenshot shows that what i use on the pad is mapped and the assigned in the game. No original pad buttons/axes are used in WT.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

The only thing I've setup in Xpadder is the rudder of the joystick which is bind to mouse left and mouse right.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Mumble... can you try to setup the entirely controls list of WT by kb and mouse buttons? (and then emulate these, or at least the controls useful for you, by xpadder)
A sort of: save your current config ; reset to "mouse and kb only" ; assign keys as you want (only kb and mouse input!); sign these on a sheet of paper ; exit and emulate the signed keys by xpadder.

Because i guess that not xpadder, but WT, won't work well if you mix controllers (kb-emulated/mouse-emulated/joystick). In other words, if some joystick inputs are active in the controls list then WT will work as a joystick is enabled (then not so smooth as the community reports).

For that i said "pitch, yaw and roll axes can be left unassigned because you will control the plane basically by mouse [emulated]".

edit:
Anyway if you want to use the mouse only to control the rudder, with these settings:
pitch, yaw, roll -> with 3d extreme pro original input
mouse control rudder: max
mouse usage: relative
rudder control of 3d extreme bind as mouse left&right in xpadder

Then there will be a conflict, in WT, between mouse assisted flight (that receive only left/right movements by the emulated mouse) and your direct plane control via 3d etreme pro axes. If you want to use mouse usage relative/joystick (via xpadder), you should use it completely because, and that it's normal, assited flight kicks in if you set the mouse usage (relative or joystick). [An it is obvious, if one has a joystick he won't use the mouse for flight control]

Then i renew my suggestion: try a complete mapping to keyboard and mouse of your 3d extreme pro OR map some keyboard keys in xpadder and use them in WT but don't set mouse usage (here i mean: mouse usage -> none or view ).

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

pier4r wrote: Then i renew my suggestion: try a complete mapping to keyboard and mouse of your 3d extreme pro
Will still have the rudder problem :(
pier4r wrote: OR map some keyboard keys in xpadder and use them in WT but don't set mouse usage (here i mean: mouse usage -> none or view ).
The problem here is that I can't change sensivity of keys.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

Here is something to think about which I have tried before.

If I bind Q and R to left and right rudder.

Then in War Thunder remove my joystick axis from yaw and lower yaw sensitivity. Then turn on relative control.

In Xpadder bind my joystick rudder axis to Q en E.

Then go to Turbo settings and change the speed value to my liking.

Then go to War thunder, the problem you have now is that the rudder will stay in the position I left it in because relative control is on, which is needed otherwise it doesn't work.

But there is an option called "reset value", I bind that to a key.

Then I need a way in Xpadder to have the button R pressed when the button Q or E is released so it resets the rudder in War Thunder to the normal position. Maybe this is possible in assignments in Xpadder but I haven't figured that out yet.

edit: now that I think about it, this might not work either, because it could be hard to control the rudder this way, because everytime you release it, it jumps back to it's normal position making it hard to aim properly.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

stealthstorm wrote:
Will still have the rudder problem :(

The problem here is that I can't change sensivity of keys.
Mmmh, strange, because with a complete mapping you will use the mouse "fly control" in WT that have no problems. Can you post your settings of xpadder and WT with a complete mapping (joystick -> kb/ms ) ?

Thanks!

And what do you mean with key sensitivity? Repetition of the key? Keypress (how much a key is hold down) ? Sorry but there is some ambiguity.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

stealthstorm wrote:Here is something to think about which I have tried before.

Then in War Thunder remove my joystick axis from yaw and lower yaw sensitivity. Then turn on relative control.

Then go to War thunder, the problem you have now is that the rudder will stay in the position I left it in because relative control is on, which is needed otherwise it doesn't work.

Then I need a way in Xpadder to have the button R pressed when the button Q or E is released so it resets the rudder in War Thunder to the normal position. Maybe this is possible in assignments in Xpadder but I haven't figured that out yet.

edit: now that I think about it, this might not work either, because it could be hard to control the rudder this way, because everytime you release it, it jumps back to it's normal position making it hard to aim properly.
Oh! Finally i start to understand a bit more!

Let me clear what i understood. Given the mapping on Q and E , you want the following: press Q to move the rudder left, but if Q is not pressed (or is pressed E) the rudder should return in the original position. Is that correct?

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Ok, i have just done some testing (with the throttle axis, is the same). WT is really awful, thanks xpadder i love you!

There are two modes with keyboard: max and minimum value only (in terms of throttle i mean - WEP and 0% ), that it's awful. And relative control (and why not a relative control with a decay time? That will solve your problem. Thanks WT devs. Update: no, now i think that WT devs have done a good work).

In relative control, you raise or decrease the value (in this case the throttle) but this doesn't back to value 0 in a smooth mode. Then we need to... found it!

Wait i sec, i adjust some settings!

edit: done, with relative control (hint:play with relative sensitivity a bit in this mode) in the axis settings there are two more options "enable axis and reset axis". If "enable axis" is on, then the rudder will move from the default position to the last position given by Q and E pressing, smoothly (so you your plane will turn slowly) ; and that is a realistic movement (you can't have a abrupt turn in a plane simulatior... else, is not a plane in the air, maybe is a plane in a vacuum space!).

Anyway the best solution, imo, is the reset button. Conversely to what i thought, it doesn not move the rudder in an abrupt mode, but quite slowly, to the default position. So it should be quite usable (because your crosshair position will not change fast during the movement) and moreover, if you press Q or E while the rudder is returning to the default position, you'll halt the rudder movement.
For example: your rudder is 90% on the left, press "reset", the rudder slowly change its position to 80%, 70%, 60%,... to the left, while it is at 25% to the left, you want to move it again and you can, starting to the 25%-Left position, before the rudder hits the default position.
Last edited by pier4r on 09 Mar 2013, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

pier4r wrote:
stealthstorm wrote:Here is something to think about which I have tried before.

Oh! Finally i start to understand a bit more!

Let me clear what i understood. Given the mapping on Q and E , you want the following: press Q to move the rudder left, but if Q is not pressed (or is pressed E) the rudder should return in the original position. Is that correct?
In this post it's what I mean yes. But overal it's just another possible solution to the sensitivity problem me and alot of other joystick users are having. Because using relative rudder control gives me more control over the sensitivity of the rudder movement.

Right now everyones problem is how wobbly the rudder movement is. When you're flying straight at a target you want to correct the path by using the rudder so you get your target right in your crosshair, but when doing so the planes moves left/right/left/right (wobbly).

There are videos on youtube showing the problem, I can't find the video I wanted to show but this one shows it a bit as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Y-0xQ_vGI

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

stealthstorm wrote:
There are videos on youtube showing the problem, I can't find the video I wanted to show but this one shows it a bit as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Y-0xQ_vGI
uaaaa awful (and that it's why i use a full mouse control thanks to xpadder remapping), just wait, i'm thinking about it.

edit:
Ok let's see. Scenario: the same of the youtube one (enemy ahead that goes straight).

Yaw axis - Q,E and relative control on. Problem: if i press Q then the plane turn slowly to the left to align the crosshair with the enemy, then i should press E to compensate and so on (as the video quoted). Solution, i should press Q anyway, to do the aling but, in a certain moment, the rudder should go back in the default position smoothly (and the pilot should know the effect of this movement, to left the plane align with the enemy without new corrections).

Imagine that the crosshair is on the right of the enemy

You press Q and the crosshair move to the left. Your rudder axis is in the higher distance zone (see screenshots below) in Xpadder.

But, anyway, you should know the crosshair movements when you release the rudder control, in other words "how the plane move itselft when i reset the rudder"). So the A distance is the distance covered thanks to the movement of the rudder that is returning back to the default position.

Note that, to cover the A distance without using the "reset" button, you would have moved the rudder axis just a bit. This bit should measure the lower distance zone (see below, is the zone where R is active).

Now, when the rudder axis is in the deadzone, the R button should be pressed as you ask here: http://xpadder.com/forum4/styles/prosil ... target.gif

And it is possible.

anyway, if you want to use the full xpadder help, you should play with mouse fly control (i mean, no joystick axis or buttons used in the WT's controls).
Last edited by pier4r on 09 Mar 2013, 17:15, edited 1 time in total.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

Ok, it turns back to default position now with the xpadder settings you've posted on the screenshots above, but now we have the problem that I mentioned earlier when coming up with this solution, it returns to default position very quickly, is there anyway to control the speed of this returning motion with xpadder?

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

stealthstorm wrote:Ok, it turns back to default position now with the xpadder settings you've posted on the screenshots above, but now we have the problem that I mentioned earlier when coming up with this solution, it returns to default position very quickly, is there anyway to control the speed of this returning motion with xpadder?
The pilot (you) should account this "turn back movement" and set accordigly a "distance zone" to avoid strange behaviours, as i wrote in the previous post.

Anyway have you tried that? Does it turns Quickly? In test flight it seems to move slowly (about 1 sec to turn to the default position from the maximum turn, and it is a lot of time for an alignment)

Moreover the "reset" is controlled by WT, xpadder or ther controllers can do anything on the speed of "turn to default position" but it should be a quite smooth turn.

Or, as last solution, i can only say that with a mouse control in WT (with the mouse emulated by xpadder an no axis used in WT) i have no problem at all.

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

No settings feels good in this game when it comes to the rudder. Hopefully their next patch fixes this.

How often do you use the rudder when aiming at targets? I don't get why using a gamepad would be any different.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

stealthstorm wrote:No settings feels good in this game when it comes to the rudder. Hopefully their next patch fixes this.

How often do you use the rudder when aiming at targets? I don't get why using a gamepad would be any different.
Yes, you are right, gamepad sticks and joystick stick are the same (in logical terms).

Anyway while you control the plane directly with axes, i control the plane without any axis, only by mouse movements (that are generated by the right stick and then translated by xpadder). This is the difference (and i said it somewhere in earlier posts). I let the instructor (the "hidden" one, which translate the mouse movements in the right pitch/roll/yaw axis inputs) work on the rudder for me.

A video (put annotations on):

stealthstorm

Post by stealthstorm »

pier4r wrote:
stealthstorm wrote:No settings feels good in this game when it comes to the rudder. Hopefully their next patch fixes this.

Yes, you are right, gamepad sticks and joystick stick are the same (in logical terms).

Anyway while you control the plane directly with axes, i control the plane without any axis, only by mouse movements (that are generated by the right stick and then translated by xpadder). This is the difference (and i said it somewhere in earlier posts). I let the instructor (the "hidden" one, which translate the mouse movements in the right pitch/roll/yaw axis inputs) work on the rudder for me.

A video (put annotations on):

I'm now messing around with mouse+keybord setting in realistic mode in War Thunder and binded them to my joystick in Xpadder. See what happens.

What control mode in options are u using (mouse aim, simplified, realistic etc. ?

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Arcade: mouse-aim ; historical: simplified

Note that you can use direct mouse control AND axis (with keyboard keys mapped on xpadder) but it requires a lot of fine tuning.

Return to “How do I do this combo/sequence?”