Won't autostart with Windows

mrsnooch

Won't autostart with Windows

Post by mrsnooch »

Hi,

I am running the latest version of Xpadder on Windows 8 64bit. I have ticked the box within Xpadder to launch with startup but this doesn't seem to work. I have checked in the config file, and it does say

[Options]
StartWithWindows=1

Yet it still doesn't work.

Secondly, Is it normal behaviour for it to stop working when you access a system menu?
Eg. It was working perfectly until I opened up Disk Management to format a drive and it suddenly stopped working. I used my mouse to close the Disk Management window, and suddenly the controller works again?

I don't have it set to run as Admin, or have any compatibility mode enabled.

Thankyou in advance,
Mark

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Won't autostart with Windows

Post by Primal Fear »

The only thing I know about that prevents the autostart is if the setting to run the program always as admin in the properties of the Xpadder.exe is activated. Obviously this is not the case for you.
You could try tusing the Autostart folder of Windows (to open it press Windows key+R type shell:startup and press Enter, ow place a shortcut to the Xpadder.exe into the folder and that's it), but this won't help you with your other problem.
cs_mrsnooch wrote:Secondly, Is it normal behaviour for it to stop working when you access a system menu?
Eg. It was working perfectly until I opened up Disk Management to format a drive and it suddenly stopped working. I used my mouse to close the Disk Management window, and suddenly the controller works again?
What do you mean with "system menu" (I not even a bit familiar with this fancy Windows8 :noob:)? But I know one thing, the Disk Management most likely automatically runs with admin privileges, so you need to run Xpadder as admin too to have it working while this window is open (so basically yes, this is normal behavior).

To do that while also having the autostart working, follow this tutorial. It's for Windows7, but the only thing you should need to do differently is in step2, you need to press Windows key+R instead of opening the Start Menu.
Also make sure to disable the Autostart setting in Xpadder if you use the way over the Task Scheduler (although it shouldn't make any difference if it isn't working anyways).

mrsnooch

Re: Won't autostart with Windows

Post by mrsnooch »

Primal Fear wrote:What do you mean with "system menu" (I not even a bit familiar with this fancy Windows8 :noob:)? But I know one thing, the Disk Management most likely automatically runs with admin privileges, so you need to run Xpadder as admin too to have it working while this window is open (so basically yes, this is normal behavior).

Sorry, by that I meant any kind of - as you put it - administrator-run program, so Disk Management, any kind of MMC snap-in. It looks like you're spot on though. And so by saying its to be run in Admin mode, that will most certainly break the autostart? I guess it doesn't matter though seeing as it isn't working anyway! I'll have to try the statup folder and admin privileges and let you know!

I appreciate your help,
Thankyou.

Return to “Cannot start Xpadder”