W7 64 mouse movements stop while certain system windows are open

kdemario

W7 64 mouse movements stop while certain system windows are open

Post by kdemario »

Hi

First let me say thanks for x-padder , the best 10 bucks I have spent in a while.

Setting up was pretty straight forward and intuitive. I was able t0 get my Phillips(SGC2910) wireless controller to do everything I want it to do. I basically use the wireless phillips controller as my mouse on a system that I use as a Home theater system.(no Games). X-padder loads on startup and I have remote mouse control on my large flat panel display across the room. All of this works well with one exception. When I open some system windows, I lose pointer control. The easiest one to demonstrate is following Cntl-alt-del. Windows brings up a pretty blue sceen with several options to click(lock,switch,log off....) but at this point my controller no longer moves the pointer , a few taps on the "tab" key will highlight "cancel" and I can hit enter to leave this screen and my controller can again move the pointer. This is annoying and I wanted to see if others have this issue or If I may have set something up wrong. Frankly I'm not sure its a bug at all, but I wasn't sure where else to talk about it. Feel free to move it.

Thanks

Espin

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Re: W7 64 mouse movements stop while certain system windows are open

Post by FARSTRIDER »

as of xp the ctrl alt del combo brings up this page which doesnt allow mouse emulation(windows security feature) but i'd imagine you could use mouse keys with xpadder to get it to work

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

In regards to your problem, I have this same "issue" with any system windows, and even with my antivirus' menu windows. I believe this is to prevent hackers from being able to remotely control your mouse or keyboard, though third-party tools and applets. So you're not the only one that has this happen.

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

Seems to be getting worse. Now I can't move the mouse with just the desktop open. My workaround at the moment is to tap the home key on the Keyboard, let the firefox window open, then minimize and I can use the pointer on the desktop. It's getting to the point that this isn't working well enough to consider. Surley there is a way to make the device the primary pointing device. Does this situation occur if you use an xbox controller?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

As previously mentioned by Farstrider and Terra your original problem was due to security windows. Xpadder's safe mouse emulation cannot access this area. This is more of a design issue than a bug and affects everyone.

Moving the mouse on the desktop though should always work so this is a new problem. The controller you use should make no difference.

Some questions:
1) Have you set any auto-profiles in Xpadder? It may be selecting your default profile automatically which does not have mouse assignments
2) When Xpadder cannot move the mouse can you move the mouse pointer using the real mouse?
3) Have you installed any new mouse software recently?

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

Hello,

1) I have auto -profiles set up at startup. When the controller is working all buttons and mouse movements work as expected per the profile.

2) Yes the logitech trackball always works

3) I have not loaded any new trackball software that I am aware of but Windows is constantly updating.

I was wondering if the xpadder software needs to be or if it can be run as administrater from the startup folder.

Might this help?

Thanks

Ken

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i really dobt that it needs to be. are you refering to uac style system windows? if so then this cant be helped as its the way windows vista/7 was designed

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

I get a lot of User Access Control (UAC) pop ups while installing almost anything, but they aren't present when the curser quits. It's not 100% repeatable either.
for instance, right now, I have no windows open or minimized and the xadder controller is working . Just the desktop, and the curser works. Later, after opening and closing some windows, I will be left without control, But if I use my wireless keyboard to open a "home" page with the default browser (firefox) all will be OK although I will have to middlemize the window and move it off to the side in order to double click whatever I want on the desktop.

Ken

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Try adding the Windows key to one of your controller buttons in the same profile that you are having problems with. The next time the mouse cursor stops working see if Xpadder can simulate the Windows key to open your start menu. This will help us to understand whether it is your controller, Xpadder emulation or the mouse that is the problem.

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

I programmed a button to act as the windows button. Now when the controller is working the start menu appears and when I press it again the start menu disappears and the controller stops working. It seems that the controller will work if a non minimized browser window is present or if the start menu is up. with a maximized browser I can freely use the windows button to open and close the start menu. If I minimize the browser I will lose all control since I don't have a "big enough" browser window and the start menu, if present , automatically closes. at this point the controller cannot gain control even with the newly programmed windows button. I have to go to the keyboard and press the home button or the windows button although the home button is still preffered since it can be moved to allow acces to any of the desktop icons while the start menu may cover some of them up and can't be relocated.

Ken

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I wonder if you have a bad Autoprofile entry. Try disabiling Autoprofile and manually load your regular profile and see if that works with and without the browser.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

SGTCableDog wrote:I wonder if you have a bad Autoprofile entry. Try disabiling Autoprofile and manually load your regular profile and see if that works with and without the browser.
thats the same thing i was thinking

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

I looked into the autoprofile settings. I gather they kick in depending on the window you have open and would allow automatic changes in the profile depending on what you were doing. IE. what window was open or in focus. My autoprofile has a circle/slash through "none" and one called "ignore /default both which are greyed out and there is no tick in the "activated" tickbox at the top. Seems like its not active which should be appropriate for my application that should be active and the same at all times. For grins I activated the "none" profile but there was no Joy, so I returned it to the greyed out state. I am able to sit with the logitech USB trackball and open a single browser window(firefox)and then have xpadder control. Later I use the xpadder to close the window and the curser gets stuck right at the close window location. Then I can use the USB pointer to open the window and xpadder is working again. Until I close it. very repeatable.

Ken

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

Feeling dumb this morning. I downloaded and installed latest version,built a new profile and haven't had a problem since. I did notice a squirrly entry for a second controller under "controllers " in the xpadder settings page. It name was some short jibberish and I never intended to have more than the one controller. Now it shows just the one controller and,as I said, it seems to be working fine. Thanks for interest.

Meanwhile, I was considering getting a xbox 360 wireless controller with the chat pad. Any thoughts on if this will work with my HTPC. I have the wireless controller and a wireless keyboard which works well but its a little clunky.

Thanks again

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i belive the experamental driver for chatpad only supports wired controllers & of course i cant quite remember if it works with 64bit or not. ill have to check but heres the post that mentions it
http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php ... pad#p10734

kdemario

Post by kdemario »

Feeling just as dumb and now a little more disappointed. All the same old symptoms are back, and I checked the "Controllers" entry and this time it is clean. That is to say it has only one entry and it is for my controller.

Please help!

Thanks

Ken

Return to “How do I do this assignment? Mouse actions”