Games not recognizing triggers->mouse clicks

DaWolfman

Games not recognizing triggers->mouse clicks

Post by DaWolfman »

A little background info: I'm running Windows 7 x64, with an xbox 360 wireless pad. When I map the mouse buttons to the triggers, they work fine in Windows. No Issues. But the moment I load up certain games (Penumbra, System Shock, etc.) the triggers don't respond. If I quit those games and go back to windows, I can start using those triggers to browse explorer again.

Ideas???

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Games not recognizing triggers->mouse clicks

Post by SGTCableDog »

The first thing to try when Xpadder stops working when you start a game is to run Xpadder as administrator. Close Xpadder by right clicking the icon in the notification area/system tray and choose the close option in the menu. Then right click the Xpadder.exe application file in windows explorer and click on "Run as administrator..." and click through the dialogs.

If this doesn't work, does the other assignments for the sticks and buttons work in the games?

DaWolfman

Post by DaWolfman »

Yup, tried running as admin.

All of the other buttons work fine; it's just the triggers for some reason. I remember having to map the left-click button to B or something crazy like that just to be able to play System Shock 2 with a controller. (An awkward game to use a controller for, yes, but I like to sit back when I play my games.)

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Try playing the game without Xpadder running. The game may actually be reading the controller itself and due to a quirk in the Xbox 360 controller driver the triggers tend not to be read correctly. This would explain why they are the only parts of the controller not working.

If this is the case then you need to disable game controller support from within the game. The game will then only respond to keypresses and Xpadder will do its thing in the background, even with the triggers.

DaWolfman

Post by DaWolfman »

Nah, that's not it. Of the two games I can confirm this glitch occurring on, System Shock 2 and Penumbra, neither was designed for a gamepad. I could've sworn I've seen it elsewhere, too. I do know one thing, though. This all started happening once I installed Win 7.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

When you installed Windows 7 did you change to a different Xbox 360 controller driver or did you just plug it in as usual and let Windows do its thing? Also, update DirectX here.

DaWolfman

Post by DaWolfman »

Knowing me, I probably installed the Xbox drivers by hand before plugging in the remote adapter. That was a couple months back though. I also tried installing the new DirectX. Nada.

But I did some experimentation. The problem seems to be limited to left mouse clicks, and only in certain games. It failed again in Silent Hunter 4, but worked OK in UT2K4.

In Penumbra, the right trigger (which is bound to left mouse) is unresponsive. BUT, the left trigger (which is bound to right mouse) IS RESPONSIVE. When I tried swapping the mappings, the right trigger now works but the left one fails. This confirms that the problem was with the call to the left mouse button event, and not the right trigger's axis.

Hope this helps.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

1) Try mapping the left mouse button to the right bumper button and right mouse button to the left bumper button. Basically put the commands you want on the buttons above the triggers instead of the triggers themselves. Now do things work correctly?

2) Using the Controller and Profile menus (where the Save menu options are) select Copy and then Paste the Controller and Profile data into a post here so we can see if there is a problem there.

3) I did receive an email a few months ago about Penumbra. Does this problem sound the same as yours: "I once tried to get it to work with my Wireless Xbox 360 and Xpadder but since it has this unique system with the mouse and meelee tools (hammer & pick-axe) it was almost impossible to get them to work"?

DaWolfman

Post by DaWolfman »

1)
I tried mapping the mouse buttons to the bumpers. I got the same result as before. The right mouse event fired (left bumper), but left mouse did not. However, when I left Penumbra, both the left and right mouse functions worked fine.

2)
I've set the functions back to their original settings, and posted them below:

Code: Select all

;----------------------
; Xpadder Profile File
;----------------------

Version=5.6

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=Space
Set1Button2Slots=R
Set1Button3Slots=Left Shift
Set1Button4Slots=X
Set1Button5Slots=Q
Set1Button6Slots=E
Set1Button7Slots=Tab
Set1Button8Slots=Escape
Set1Button9Slots=Left Control
Set1Button10Slots=Middle Mouse Button (3)
Set1DPadUpSlots=F
Set1DPadRightSlots=N
Set1DPadDownSlots=G
Set1DPadLeftSlots=P
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Left Mouse Button (1)
3)
No, that does not sound similar. Penumbra has a unique UI, where you literally pick physics objects up and drag them across the screen. I haven't been able to use it /w Xpadder, so I don't yet know how well it would work. Since xpadder is not responding to left clicks, you cannot pick up anything nor swing a weapon. FWIW, I've also experienced this issue /w games besides Penumbra.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

1) If you still get the problem with the bumpers then we can rule out any trigger issues.

2) Your profile file appears to be ok.

3) Can you use Xpadder to navigate the main game menu? In other words, do left-clicks work correctly in non-gaming areas of P but once you start the actual game the left-click ceases to work?

DaWolfman

Post by DaWolfman »

No, I couldn't navigate the main menu, unless I used right-clicks. The main menu responds to right clicks.

Another interesting tidbit: I tried playing COD4 last night. Played great. But now, I tried playing it this morning, and now it seems like all of my guns are stuck shooting semi-auto. When I tried shooting with my left mouse button (the REAL mouse), it shot fine. Can't figure it out.

EDIT: I tried recalibrating my controller, and nothing came of it. I guess that makes sense, since we already determined it's the mouse click event. :roll:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Okay, we've got to the stage where we're not getting anywhere :roll:
I am currently downloading the demo of Penumbra Overture and I will test in Windows 7 x64 with my Xbox 360 wireless controller.
If I can reproduce the left-click problem then we are half-way to fixing it.
If it works fine for me then we know that the problem is you :lol:

Which version of Penumbra are you using by the way?

DaWolfman

Post by DaWolfman »

Unfortunately, Penumbra doesn't have a version number. I am using the Steam version, so it should be the most recent one.

FWIW, I've seen this /w more than one game, so if you need another test case, I can dig that up for you.

Thanks!
DW

MAJOR EDIT:

GOT IT WORKING! It turns out it was a conflict with another program. :( I was running an AutoHotKey script in the background ( http://www.ocellated.com/2009/06/04/taskbar-overlord/). This must have been causing the left click conflict... I didn't even realize it, since I have it set to run automatically on boot. Sorry about the mix-up. :oops: Maybe this will help future diagnoses?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Good find.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Glad to hear you fixed it. I'm sure the solution will come in handy in the future for others.

Scraper

Post by Scraper »

There will be some problems later with Penumbra.
For example when you try to hit with hammer or pick axe in Overture with Xbox 360 Wireless (doesn't really matter is it wireless or not) and Xpadder.

I had some issues, not the same you had, but all worked fine untill I had to use hammer or pick axe.
Since you'll have to move the mouse to hit, not only click it. (For example hitting in right, you'll have to hold left mouse button, move mouse to upper left corner and then fastly back to lower right)

And when you try to do that in game, almost everytime it fails. Nothing happens.
Sometimes it does hit, but it's more common that it doesn't.

chiporama

Post by chiporama »

Jonathan wrote:Try playing the game without Xpadder running. The game may actually be reading the controller itself and due to a quirk in the Xbox 360 controller driver the triggers tend not to be read correctly. This would explain why they are the only parts of the controller not working.

If this is the case then you need to disable game controller support from within the game. The game will then only respond to keypresses and Xpadder will do its thing in the background, even with the triggers.
I have a similar issue with 'In-Game Controller Support' over riding Xpadder.

From what I have been told, there is not an option to turn the in-game support off, so I am asking if there is another option to get game to not recognise the game controller, but rather think its a just a keyboard via Xpadder?

Thank you in advance.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

There are a few ways to disable controller support. One would be in-game, which you have said already doesn't exist so thats out. Another way is to not plug in your controller while the game is starting up. Keep it unplugged until the game is fully started. Once fully started plug in your controller and hopefully your game isn't one of the few that detect your controller on the fly. If it doesn't then your good to go. Another more advanced way would be to find some sort of .cfg or .ini file in your games directory. Then you would need to go into the file via Notepad and then delete or change the line that enables gamepad support. One problem with the last option is that most modern games no longer allow you to modify these settings and are hidden in other key game files you can no longer read with simple file readers, thus may not even be possible. I suggest doing a quick google search on your game on how to disable controller support. Hope that helps.

chiporama

Post by chiporama »

Thank you. Will try those. :P

Return to “How do I do this assignment? Mouse actions”