Analogue Stick to control movement speed

squinky121

Analogue Stick to control movement speed

Post by squinky121 »

Hi, First post :)

I wanted to know if anyone had any ideas about controlling speed of movement in a typical FPS.

I have been working on profiles for the Thief range of games and have come a bit unstuck.

Ideally I was thinking of using the left stick on my XBOX 360 controller to move forward and back but I would like to know if I can assign two keys to the same forward motion depending on how far the stick is pushed forward.

For example, slight push forward would walk, pushed fully would run.

I suspect this may not been possible but any ideas would be great.

Thanks for any advice/

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Analogue Stick to control movement speed

Post by Terra Branford »

Actually, you can do this with the Distance Zone system added to the Advanced options. It's actually REALLY easy to do in Xpadder 2010.05.03 right now.

1) Set a "Walk up" key in your game (for this instance, we'll use "w"), this will be the default "Walking up" keyboard action.
2) Set a "Run up" key in your game (we'll go ahead and use "r", since I'm lazy!), this will be your default "Running up" keyboard action.
3) In Xpadder, chose the button you want to map "Walking/Running up" to (I'm going with "Left Analog Stick Up"), and select "W" as the first slot action.
4) Go to the "Advanced" button on the keyboard layout screen, and look for "Add Distance zone" button. Click the SECOND (blank) slot and then click the Add Distance Zone button. You'll get a default of 10%.
5) Fine tune your distance zone by clicking the "Distance" buttons on the bottom of the Advanced window. For this example, we'll use "90%" for our distance.
6) In the third slot, put "r" (you can click on it from the keyboard in Xpadder, or your real keyboard).
7) Open up Notepad (just click the "Test..." button), and slowly inch your Left Analog Stick upwards. You should see a stream of "w"s being displayed.
8) Now, push a bit further (to your comfort zone, or all the way) and you should start to see "r"s being displayed.

That's all there is to it. You can fine tune distance zones (and adjust your controller's default Dead zone settings, if you get sporatic movements due to the "walk" key being active on controllers whose analog sticks have a little play on them) to your liking.

You can also add in extra Distance Zones for "slow walk", "normal walk" and "running" (just click the Distance Zone button again). Just remember to keep your distance percents even, so it adds up to 100%, or it might not work properly.

xTx

Post by xTx »

this is indeed possible :) the function you are looking for is called a 'distance zone'

once you have set up your sticks, press the button you wish to configure in the main window, and choose advanced at the bottom right.
a new window will pop-up with lots of fancy stuff ^^

now simply just press the button you want XPadder to emulate on the keyboard. (like 'W' or 'Arrow Up' for moving forward, whatever key you use to move forward with on the keyboard)

now weve just told XPadder that up=run, but we want to add a distance zone aswel, so first you need to set the distance zone (how much you need to press the stick up for the run function to actually work). Distance zones work in percentages, so at the bottom of the window just add some percentages to what you would like it to be (here i usually choose around 70, but you might prefer otherwise). Once the distance is set to the percent you want it at, press the 'Add Distance Zone' and then just press the button you would like the stick to do once its over 70 percent pressed down.
and thats it ^^

EDIT:
Dang TBD2009, why do you have to be so fast :lol:

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Terra Branford »

Because I'm all spiffy shadow like. I slink around like Batman, helping out those who need it, without anyone ever knowing I've been here at all.

That, and I'm sneaky.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I don't know exactly about the first two parts, but Deadly Shadows has a native gamepad support. So it is the easiest way to use the analogue input directly in the game. For the rest you can use keyboard keys too and emulate them with Xpadder.

squinky121

Post by squinky121 »

Ok thanks for all the replies.

That helps a whole lot and has solved my problem :)

Thanks

Return to “Other questions”