Movement Speed in Splinter Cell

jacobschaer

Movement Speed in Splinter Cell

Post by jacobschaer »

Hello! I got XPadder to make my classic Xbox controller work with the PC version of Splinter Cell Double Agent (I know it's a 360 game, but I'm too cheap for the new controller haha). Anyways, besides the WASD for movement, the game has your speed controlled by rolling the scroll wheel. Is there any way to make the Analog stick use distance zones to not only move forward/backwards, but to move the scroll wheel appropriate to how far I'm pushing? It turns out that several of the minigames are unplayable without being able to control the movement speed. It's a shame they didn't include native controller options, because a lot of the game's functionality varies heavily between the two platforms control wise.

Thanks,
Jacob Schaer

Terra Branford
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Movement Speed in Splinter Cell

Post by Terra Branford »

You should be able to do this with the last few Xpadder versions, using "Distance Zones". I just gave it a try (without the game, sadly, since I don't do PC games), and you can have the MouseWheel and W/A/S/D motions working at the same time... so you should be able to amp up your Wheel speed by having multiple distance zones assigned.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Movement Speed in Splinter Cell

Post by Jonathan »

No-one has found a solution to this yet. There are a number of others topics on the same subject so I'm merging the content:
SubGum wrote:I'd like to set my mouse scroll wheel to roll up or down depending on how far I move the right thumbstick up or down on my 360 controller.
Does xpadder support having different assignments to different thresholds like this?
Or is it only possible to have one set for each direction?

For perspective, I'm trying to do this for the old "Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow" game, which adjusts the speed of your character by scrolling the mouse wheel up or down.

I hope that question makes sense.
Jonathan wrote:I remember the SC speed method but I recall that you needed to move the mouse wheel up or down to set the speed. I think what I did was set DPad Up to Mouse Wheel Up and DPad Down for Mouse Wheel Down. The stick just moved forwards based on the current speed. A quick click on the DPad changed the speed.

However, this was way before some of the new features were added to Xpadder so I'm wondering if we can now do this properly. What we need is Xpadder to move the wheel up one notch and hold W until the stick is moved further and then do the same. When moving the stick less we need to move the wheel down one notch and still hold W.

Return to “Other questions”