Vibration activates Buttons

GoW

Vibration activates Buttons

Post by GoW »

Hi,
I use xpadder to play Gears of War for Windows with my Gamecube Controller.
I'm pretty satisfied but I have got one major problem:
The rumble is so strong that it often activates the upper Dpad. As I have mapped "mousewheel-up/down" to the Dpad the game sometimes switches weapons by accident. This is really annoying especially during a tough fight. Unfortunately lowering the rumble in the menus is useless, its intensity remains always the same.
Is there maybe a way to decrease the sensivity of the buttons?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Vibration activates Buttons

Post by Jonathan »

Sometimes the gamepad driver has its own rumble strength settings and the values that Xpadder uses are ignored.
Check out the Windows Game Controllers Control Panel for your controller (there is a handy button to open it in the Controller Properties window).
Here you might be able to lower the rumble.

GoW

Post by GoW »

Sry, for some reason I can't calibrate the rumble on Windows 7 64 bit anymore altough I could on XP.
Is there a way in xpadder to increase the time a button has to be held in order to detect it?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

well in gc games i dont remember having anyother option but on/off there wasnt any level options except for pressing on/off a dozen times for more intense rumble

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

GoW wrote:Is there a way in xpadder to increase the time a button has to be held in order to detect it?
You can add a pause before the mousewheel up/down assignment. Click the direction of the Dpad to edit (up) this will open the Assignment window click the Advanced button on the bottom to open the Advanced Assignment window. Click the first slot (mouse wheel up) the click the "Insert" button then click the "Add Pause" button. Close the windows and test. You will have to experiment to find a pause time that will prevent the rumble presses and not interfere with the game play.

GoW

Post by GoW »

Thx for your advice but this doesn't help at all, I can't even feel a difference no matter how long the pause is.
Any further suggestions?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Even if you add a pause of 1 second? You would have to hold up on the Dpad for one second before the mouse wheel up is given. I tried it using internet explorer with my 360 controller.

GoW

Post by GoW »

The one and only problem is that it doesn't eliminate the recognition of the pressed button, it only delays it.

GoW

Post by GoW »

Does no one else have a solution to this problem?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

GoW wrote:The one and only problem is that it doesn't eliminate the recognition of the pressed button, it only delays it.
This is correct. Adding a pause will only turn the assignment into a sequence and so Xpadder will pause and then move the mouse wheel. All it will take is a single 0.01 second tap of the button to start the sequence!

If you can't fix the rumble issue then what you need is assignments based on how long the button is pressed for.

This feature does not exist in v5.5 but it is on the Feature X list. If I'm not adding it right now to v5.6 (it's all a mystery isn't it!) then it will be added soon as it's one of the more popular votes.

For now, is it possible to add the assignment to a more sturdy button seeing as the DPad is too sensitive to the rumbling? Or maybe even embed it in another set somewhere to make it harder for accidental activation? Neither solution is better than the above but it is the best way around the problem for now.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

My thought with the sequence was that the button would need to be pressed for the duration of the pause. If the button is released before the end of the pause then it wouldn't continue to the key press. I thought I tried it but I'm having problems with my laptop with Xpadder on it.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

SGTCableDog wrote:My thought with the sequence was that the button would need to be pressed for the duration of the pause.
A pause slot has only one job. To pause during a sequence. If it is at the start of the sequence then this gives the ability to delay the first key in a sequence but only from the moment the button is pressed. The pause slot is basically a keyboard key that sends no data and has a variable down time.
SGTCableDog wrote:If the button is released before the end of the pause then it wouldn't continue to the key press.
A sequence will start the moment the button is pressed. It will play all pauses and key presses and mouse actions in the sequence until either the sequence ends or you tap the button again to halt the sequence.

The pause slot will never monitor button-press duration. To add button-press duration detection I will need to add a new feature.

Return to “Other questions”