Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - Stick Trouble

Sophie

Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - Stick Trouble

Post by Sophie »

Hello guys,
I've been playing several games with Xpadder and they were working excellent. That's really a great program :mrgreen: But currently I've got a problem with this game :oops: (see subject) So, I assume that my 'Logitech Rumblepad 2 Gamepad' should not be the reason for the trouble. I try to explain it at short as possible ;):
The left stick should controll my avatar via WASD, the right one should emulate the camera (mouse movement) - default for all my games. Sadly, this game has the following problem: It doesn't recognize the left stick perfectly (right one works perfect). With the use of default deadzone of 25%, my guy only goes forward when I just tick the left stick a little bit. If I push the stick forward as normal, the guy just makes one step and stops. As I increased the deadzone to 45% (50% is too much, almost no reaction at all), the avatar only moves if I really push the stick to exactly one direction (left up doesn't react at all) That's a bit frustrating.
Could you give me any other hint or option I could change, so the stick simply emulates WASD (without a kind of speed control - I assume that this is the main probelm)? (when pressing the keyboard keys, everything is fine)
FYI: As I exchanged the stick assignments (left = mouse, right = WASD), it works best for WASD but whenever I pushed the left stick (better direction control with 'mouse' :)), my avatar stops immediately - also not the best solution. And the mouse movement itself is worse... don't worry, no further explanation ;) I just want some help for the WASD functionality for left stick. So, I'd be really pleased for any support or hint for solving this issue.
Thanks to all in advance, Sophie

Originalgamer13

Re: Divinity 2: Ego Draconis - Stick Trouble

Post by Originalgamer13 »

Hey sophie, just a quick thought. Decrease the deadzone, not increase. Take it to like 20, or even 15 and then see. Let us know if that helps ya!

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

To be honest i'm really stumped. This issue just doesn't make much sense (i know what your saying, but i'm not sure where to start). Is it possible that the game has some sort of gamepad support (whether its partial or full gamepad support doesn't really matter)? Its possible that Xpadder and the game is conflicting with each other. Thats one place to start but its unlikely thats your issue. Maybe try Originalgamer13' suggestion but i doubt that will work either. Try those suggestions and get back to us. By then hopefully me or someone will have a better idea of how to fix your issue.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Try mnl's idea by playing the game with the pad but with no Xpadder and see if the game sees the controller at all.

If it doesn't then maybe there is a problem with your left stick? Try doing a simple WSAD profile and test it in Notepad and see if holding forward repeatedly types "W".

Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Hi guys,
thanks for the quick answers :) I've made some testing with your suggestions and here are my results for everyone:
Decrease the deadzone, not increase. Take it to like 20, or even 15 and then see. Let us know if that helps ya!
I decreased the deadzone to 20, 10 and 1 (the last value just for fun - my avatar was just running without any hit of the stick by himself :lol: foreseeable :roll:) Sadly, it shows not the result I hoped for... The avatar just moves when I tick the left stick (the same as with 25%, just even more sensitive) - whenever you tick the stick a little to much, the avatar stops... Changing the direction is almost impossible... While fighting and hectic this is not healthy ;) So, this is not the solution but much thanks for the input, Originalgamer13 :)
Is it possible that the game has some sort of gamepad support (whether its partial or full gamepad support doesn't really matter)?
I've also tried this and I was astonished that the game seems to assign the gamepad buttons to movements. But first of all, the game doesn't outline it anyway in the options (first indication for really!!! partially gamepad support) and the most important part - the avatar movement cannot be handled by the sticks - doesn't matter which one I chose. The buttons are working fine like jump or fight or so, but the avatar doesn't run at all. And there is no possiblity at all to assign the camera movement to the right stick... :| So, I can say that the game supports the gamepad partially but I don't know how to disable this feature (if I remember correctly, it should not be gamepad supported at all - although it is also published for XBOX 360, too - can't understand this ... :x )
Do you have any idea how I could fully disable the gamepad support or if it is really a conflicting problem with Xpadder? Much thanks, mnl1121 :)
If it doesn't then maybe there is a problem with your left stick? Try doing a simple WSAD profile and test it in Notepad and see if holding forward repeatedly types "W".
I tried the functioning of the sticks and couldn't detect any faults... Whether trying writing in notepad or playing other games (with XPadder) - no problems at all. If you have any other guess as coder of Xpadder, I'd be pleased to get it ;), Jonathan

That's all for now, thanks again to all for your support in this, Sophie

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

When a game has partial gamepad support the best way is to either find out how to fully disable gamepad support or use the games support along with Xpadder. If possible find out which buttons work in the game natively, then use xpadder to emulate the others. Its possible that the game uses a file for gamepad support. in the installation folder try finding a .ini or .cfg (it might be just a simple .txt (text) file) which may indicate gamepad support. Many big games use configuration files this way. It might have joystick = 1. Try changing that 1 to a 0 (as in 1 equals on and 0 equals off). This is just an example and I have no clue if this is the same way with your game.

I have an idea though. Maybe the left stick is mapped to movement (up, down, left, right by the game's gamepad support). If this is true then you dont need to map wasd to the left stick with Xpadder. What could be happening is that when you move the left stick say to the right, the game is detecting your stick movement and moving your character to the right. Then at the same exact time Xpadder is sending a "d" command to the OS (which is read by the game). This is possibly why your character is moving just 1 step and stopping. The right command by the left stick and the d command by xpadder are conflicting with each other. It might be confusing the game.

Sophie

Post by Sophie »

Hey,
:mrgreen: I'm so happy! I could solve the stick problem :mrgreen: BOOYAH!!! - So my avatar runs in the exact and right way as I'd like to... no matter how far I tick the sticks :lol: Yieha!!! And that's only possible because of Xpadder - I love this program... OK, I assume you want to hear my solution, hehe ;): The only thing I've done was - besides testing - implementing the recently released patch for this game... (It's just 10 days old and I've found it just yesterday :oops:) But that's all!!! Although the patch notes didn't mention any adaptations in the movement or program itself - just some graphic improvements... but - to be honest - it really doesn't matter... :lol:

Just for your information *mnl1121* and before the patch update: I tried playing the game without Xpadder and gamepad - no reaction at all of the sticks - if I assign the buttons to some actions, it works for them but never with the sticks... And - don't laugh at me ;) - but I couldn't find any cfg or ini file for the game in the directory (there is also nothing in documents and settings) I really don't know, where to find the config file in which all the information of my avatar control or gamepad support is located (if there exists anyone)...

OK, I'd like to say thank you to all for your support and discussion of this problem - although it was fixed by a patch for the game... But hey, this is a proof evidence for the fact that Xpadder is compatible with all programs or games - as far as they are correctly coded ;)
OK, I have to fly a bit as a dragon through the air with my gamepad :mrgreen: - so, see you anytime :D

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Good to hear that it was all fixed. I'm still a bit puzzled how the patch fixed your problem. Anyway that doesn't matter.

P.S. Some games don't actually have a .cfg or .ini file to store game information. In fact it seems like most recent games are doing away with it and hard coding these settings in game files we can't access. Oh well...

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

mnl1121 wrote:P.S. Some games don't actually have a .cfg or .ini file to store game information. In fact it seems like most recent games are doing away with it and hard coding these settings in game files we can't access. Oh well...
And with Vistas UAC and its virtual store it becomes a true treasure hunt. Glad you got it worked out, GAME ON.

Return to “Other questions”