Xbox 360 Controller & Google Earth Flight Sim

trevor432990

Xbox 360 Controller & Google Earth Flight Sim

Post by trevor432990 »

Hi there ... I've installed the latest Xpadder software and set-up the profile and mapping of keyboard characters to controller buttons but when I load Google Earth and enter flight simulator mode only the look Left/Right stick seems to work (which is how it was before I purchased the Xpadder product) and so the keyboard emulation software does not seem to work with this program.

Anyone else had experience trying this or can put me on the right track to solving the problem I'd be grateful? :roll:

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Xbox 360 Controller & Google Earth Flight Sim

Post by Jonathan »

If you open Notepad can you press your gamepad buttons and have Xpadder simulate pressing the keys? This will check if Xpadder is setup correctly.

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Hi Jonathan thanks for the suggestion but things have taken a turn for the worse I'm afraid and my PC becomes unusable now when I load Xpadder.

For example with it loaded when I move cursor to the START button and the program list appears as soon as I move the cursor across the list the PC loads the first application the cursor passes over without me left double clicking on it !??? :shock:

When I eventually managed to load notepad (as you suggested) something began looping within the program creating blank lines ad nauseum and so I had to terminate it using Windows Task Manager. I've also noticed in MS Outlook 2007 with Xpadder loaded some strange things happen like it added a flag to one of emails and would not let me clear it.

It may not be a software fault I hasten to add because I'm not running a particularly standard PC setup. I have three identical monitors which are hooked up to a piece of Matrox hardware called Triple Head 2 Go which created an enormous Desktop and super widescreen for my applications and games so when I run Google Earth it is impressive but was hoping to use your software to control the GE Flight Simulator software as it does not seem geared up for the Xbox 360 Game Controller for Windows that I have.

Do you have any suggestions to clear the problem at all? I could restore back to before I installed the Xpadder app and try the install again but I don't think I did anything wrong in the first place.

Apologies for the essay ! :oops:

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Could you post your profile here and I'll try it out. Choose copy from the profile menu (icon between the controller and profile names). Then reply here and paste (regular [ctrl]+[v] clipboard short cut :mrgreen: )

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

trevor432990 wrote: For example with it loaded when I move cursor to the START button and the program list appears as soon as I move the cursor across the list the PC loads the first application the cursor passes over without me left double clicking on it !??? :shock:

When I eventually managed to load notepad (as you suggested) something began looping within the program creating blank lines ad nauseum ...
This can happen if the controller axis are not set-up properly. Xpadder thinks you want the key emulating so it holds the key and it can cause unexpected problems. Xpadder will emulate something if any button in main window is green (as opposed to white). Delete the INI settings file and run Xpadder again. This will reset everything and remove the problem.

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

I have deleted the .ini file as suggested and tried to paste the profile in this post without success due to continuing bug. I think problem is down to the use of the ENTER key when mapped against any of the controller keys. Google Earth flight sim expects the ENTER key to be used for the RUDDER RIGHT command but I'm gonna try recreating without this particular key and see what happens. Thanks for your help will keep you posted.

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Did the above and wierd app failures have stopped for now but Google Earth does not respond to many of the Xbox 360 controller button/trigger pushes. Will try and paste in the profile again ......

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
Version=5.5
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1Button5Slots=Arrow Left
Set1Button6Slots=Arrow Right
Set1DPadUpSlots=End
Set1DPadRightSlots=Left Shift,0
Set1DPadDownSlots=Left Shift,Arrow Up
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Left Shift,9
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Insert
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Left Control,Arrow Up
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Left Control,Mouse Wheel Right
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Left Control,Arrow Left
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Page Down
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Page Up

Love the idea of Xpadder program but I'm failing dismally to get it to work with Google Earth flight sim at moment. I am presuming you have to have Xpadder running in background before loading GE ??

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

trevor432990 wrote:Love the idea of Xpadder program but I'm failing dismally to get it to work with Google Earth flight sim at moment. I am presuming you have to have Xpadder running in background before loading GE ??
Xpadder needs to be running for it simulate key and mouse actions. You can start it either before or during any program that you want to use it with. Think of Xpadder as a keyboard - it doesn't matter when you plugged it in but it needs to be plugged in to work :D

Have you disabled joystick support? http://earth.google.com/userguide/v4/ug_flightsim.html
"Joystick support - Check Joystick enabled if there is a joystick device on your computer that you would like to use"

If not then Xpadder will read the joystick and press a key even though Google Earth Flight Sim is already responding to the joystick itself.

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Hi Jonathan ... I've tried it with both Joystick enabled & disabled (no joystick connected by the way). If I try it with joystick disabled there is no control whatsover and the plane drops from the sky. With joystick enabled the plane can be steered but the thrust adjustment which I've assigned to the right trigger is not being recognised and the plane stalls or becomes unmanageable. Have you tried it with GE flight sim yourself?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

trevor432990 wrote:Hi Jonathan ... I've tried it with both Joystick enabled & disabled (no joystick connected by the way). If I try it with joystick disabled there is no control whatsover and the plane drops from the sky.
Connect your joystick and use the GEFS with joystick disabled. If you plane drops despite you moving the joystick then this is good because GEFS is ignoring the joystick correctly. From now on always have joystick disabled so we can elimate it from the problem. We only want Xpadder reading the joystick.
trevor432990 wrote: With joystick enabled the plane can be steered but the thrust adjustment which I've assigned to the right trigger is not being recognised and the plane stalls or becomes unmanageable.
This is because the default Xbox 360 triggers axis is not a common axis and tends to be read incorrectly. Not to worry, we'll get Xpadder to sort it out :D
trevor432990 wrote:Have you tried it with GE flight sim yourself?
Not yet. Can you let us know which Windows version you are using and also paste your Controller file (same process as pasting the Profile but with the menu on the left). I do have an Xbox 360 controller so with your controller and profile file I can try it out myself. If I know the Windows version too I can test it in the right one to check for admin problems.

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Thanks for your continued patience, here is a copy of the document you requested:-

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Controller Data ---
Version=5.5
Name=My Controller (XBOX 360 For Windows)
Button1Location=396,136
Button2Location=436,97
Button3Location=353,95
Button4Location=395,54
Button5Location=94,9
Button6Location=397,7
Button7Location=186,97
Button8Location=300,98
Button9Location=90,95
DPadUpLocation=163,155
DPadRightLocation=195,187
DPadDownLocation=163,219
DPadLeftLocation=131,187
Stick1UpLocation=90,63
Stick1RightLocation=122,95
Stick1DownLocation=90,127
Stick1LeftLocation=58,95
Stick2UpLocation=312,158
Stick2RightLocation=344,190
Stick2DownLocation=312,222
Stick2LeftLocation=280,190
TriggerLeftLocation=4,4
TriggerRightLocation=478,4
DPadUpAccess=POV
DPadRightAccess=POV
DPadDownAccess=POV
DPadLeftAccess=POV
Stick1XAccess=Axis X
Stick1YAccess=Axis Y
Stick2XAccess=Axis RX
Stick2YAccess=Axis RY
TriggerLeftAccess=Axis Z
TriggerRightAccess=Axis Z -
Button1Name=Button 1
Button2Name=Button 2
Button3Name=Button 3
Button4Name=Button 4
Button5Name=Button 5
Button6Name=Button 6
Button7Name=Button 7
Button8Name=Button 8
Button9Name=Button 9
DPadName=DPad
DPadUpName=Up
DPadRightName=Right
DPadDownName=Down
DPadLeftName=Left
Stick1Name=Stick 1
Stick2Name=Stick 2
StickUpName=Up
StickRightName=Right
StickDownName=Down
StickLeftName=Left
TriggerLeftName=Trigger Left
TriggerRightName=Trigger Right
ImageLine3=0,0,FF00FF,10,DDE1DB,DDE1DB,DDE1DB,D5DAD4,D0D3CE,DDE1DB,D0D3CE,DDE1DB,CBD2CB,0,D0D3CE,6,D5DAD4,CBD2CB,C4CAC4,C1C4BD,E0E3DE,0,FF00FF,1BF,EEF0ED,EEF0ED,ECF5F2,E0E3DE,E0E3DE,DDE1DB,D5DAD4,CBD2CB,D0CDC6,C1C4BD,C4CAC4,C1C4BD,D0CDC6,C3CED2,CCD6D1,E6E8E4,EEF0ED,0,FF00FF,C
ImageLine4=0,0,FF00FF,F,F0F1EE,DDE1DB,E0E3DE,DDE1DB,DDE1DB,E0E3DE,E0E3DE,E0E3DE,0,DDE1DB,4,D0D3CE,D5DAD4,CBD2CB,D0D3CE,CBD2CB,B8BDC0,A29D94,848B95,ACB1A8,E6E8E4,0,FF00FF,1BC,DDE1DB,D5DAD4,D0D3CE,CBD2CB,C4CAC4,C1C4BD,C1C4BD,B8BDC0,B8BDC0,B8BDC0,C1C4BD,B6BBB4,B8BDC0,B8BDC0,B1B6AD,ACB1A8,9DA197,A29D94,A3ABB3,CBD2CB,0,FF00FF,B
ImageLine5=0,0,FF00FF,D,FEFEFD,F0F1EE,E6E8E4,E6E8E4,E0E3DE,DDE1DB,0,E6E8E4,7,EEF0ED,E0E3DE,EEF0ED,DDE1DB,DDE1DB,D5DAD4,B8BDC0,9DA197,7B8378,716C64,B8BDC0,EEF0ED,0,FF00FF,1B9,E6E8E4,DDE1DB,CBD2CB,C1C4BD,C4CAC4,C1C4BD,C1C4BD,C4CAC4,BCC6C3,C4CAC4,CBD2CB,C1C4BD,C4CAC4,CBD2CB,C1C4BD,CBD2CB,C1C4BD,B8BDC0,B1ADA5,848B95,8D9287,918D84,B8BDC0,0,FF00FF,A
ImageLine6=0,0,FF00FF,C,FEFEFD,F0F1EE,EEF0ED,E0E3DE,0,DDE1DB,6,E0E3DE,E0E3DE,DDE1DB,E6E8E4,0,E0E3DE,4,EEF0ED,DDE1DB,C1C4BD,969CA4,85867B,716C64,9DA197,DDE1DB,0,FF00FF,1B8,ECF5F2,E6E8E4,D5DAD4,C1C4BD,C4CAC4,CBD2CB,D0D3CE,C3CED2,CBD2CB,0,D0D3CE,8,C3CED2,CBD2CB,B8BDC0,A2A69C,888A83,4E716A,85867B,B8BDC0,0,FF00FF,9
............... I removed the remaining 250 image lines as they got bigger & bigger filling the post up but if you definitely want them I can email them separately to you?

I am on Windows XP Home Edition Build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.090206-1234(Service Pack 3)

Hope this all helps ... I don't actually have a joystick to connect anyway and just tried it enabled to see if it would help to recognise the Xbox 360 Controller but it didn't appear to do so.

Regards

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Ok, where to start?!

First of all thanks for the controller data. I forgot about the masses of image data! It is not needed in this case.

I have installed my Xbox 360 controller and GE v5 in Windows XP SP 3.
trevor432990 wrote:I don't actually have a joystick to connect anyway and just tried it enabled to see if it would help to recognise the Xbox 360 Controller but it didn't appear to do so.
Technically the term is Game Controllers. This refers to flight joysticks, gamepads (like the Xbox 360 one), dance mats etc. Any gaming device is generally seen as a Game Controller and Xpadder can see it :D
The term "joystick" implies the same thing. The "Joystick enabled" really means "Game Controllers enabled" so this will include your Xbox 360 controller.

Google Earth appears to only decide whether the joystick option is available when it starts and if it finds a controller it will frutratingly enable it even if last time you disabled it :evil:
Worse still if you start flying with the joystick option off (because there was no controller) then when you do connect one it will turn the joystick option on without asking you :evil: :evil:
This means that *must* connect the controller *before* starting GE and disable the option each time you fly.
If you don't then you will get problems.

The keyboard shortcuts were badly documented so here is my improved list:

Command                                       Keystroke(s)                          Joystick   Xbox 360 controller
==================================================================================================================
Exit flight simulator mode                    Ctrl+Alt+A or Escape                  ?          ?
Open flight simulator options                 Ctrl+Alt+A after Exit                 ?          ?
Display flight simulator help                 Ctrl+H                                ?          ?

Toggle HUD                                    H                                     ?          ?
Rotate pilot viewpoint                        Arrow keys+ Alt(slow) or Ctrl(fast)   ?          ?
Pause simulation                              Space                                 ?          ?

Increase thrust (accelerate)                  Page Up                               Button 4   Y Button
Reduce thrust (brake)                         Page Down                             Button 1   A Button
Elevator push (dive)                          Up arrow                              Axis Y-    Left Thumbstick Up
Elevator pull (climb)                         Down arrow                            Axis Y+    Left Thumbstick Down
Aileron left (bank left)                      Left arrow                            Axis X-    Left Thumbstick Left
Aileron right (bank right)                    Right arrow                           Axis X+    Left Thumbstick Right
Rudder left (strafe left)                     Insert or Shift+Left arrow            Axis Rx-   Right Thumbstick Left
Rudder right (strafe right)                   Enter(numpad) or Shift+Right arrow    Axis Rx+   Right Thumbstick Right
Center aileron and rudder (stop turn/stafe)   C or 5                                ?          ?

Reduce flap setting                           Left square bracket or Shift+F        ?          ?
Increase flap setting                         Right square bracket or F             ?          ?
Elevator trim nose down                       Home or Shift+Up arrow                ?          ?
Elevator trim nose up                         End or Shift+Down arrow               ?          ?

Extend/retract landing gear (if any)          G                                     ?          ?
Left wheel brake                              , (comma)                             ?          ?
Right wheel brake                             . (period)                            ?          ?
Notice that flap settings are done with square brackets and not brackets as Google Help states. Also all repeated controls are merged onto one line and split into categories for easier reading (see the junk before: http://earth.google.com/intl/en/usergui ... index.html)

Now here is a basic profile (I've added names and fixed a bad Viewpoint Down assignment from your original profile):

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
Version=5.5
Name=GEFS
Set1DPadUpName=ElevTrimNoseUp
Set1DPadUpSlots=End
Set1DPadRightName=Increase Flap
Set1DPadRightSlots=Right Square Bracket
Set1DPadDownName=ElevTrimNoseDn
Set1DPadDownSlots=Home
Set1DPadLeftName=Reduce Flap
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Left Square Bracket
Set1Stick1UpName=Elevator push
Set1Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set1Stick1RightName=Rudder right
Set1Stick1RightSlots=NumPad Enter
Set1Stick1DownName=Elevator pull
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Arrow Down
Set1Stick1LeftName=Rudder left
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Insert
Set1Stick2UpName=Viewpoint Up
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Left Control,Arrow Up
Set1Stick2RightName=Viewpoint Right
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Left Control,Arrow Right
Set1Stick2DownName=Viewpoint Down
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Left Control,Arrow Down
Set1Stick2LeftName=Viewpoint Left
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Left Control,Arrow Left
Set1TriggerLeftName=Reduce thrust
Set1TriggerLeftSlots=Page Down
Set1TriggerRightName=Increase thrust
Set1TriggerRightSlots=Page Up
I'm now flying around with Xpadder :geek:
Just make sure you follow the rule at the top about the joysticks and you should have no more problems :D
But if you do let us know...

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Johnathan ... Thanks for all your hard work and time but trying to implement the changes you suggest will work have just returned me to the old problem previously posted whereby strange things start to happen on my PC i.e. when I try the 'Save As' on Xpadder all 3 save option buttons begin to flash in turn and the system seems to be looping, tried changing the filename and the cursor moves right to left on it's own accord on the filename. I've deleted the ini file and started again from scratch but problem re-appears whenever I get to the save part. The only way to get save to work then is to clear all the controller button assignments and then save works ok but obviously this is not satisfactory.
Is there a way of importing the profile you sent me as I could not see that option in Xpadder? Glad you got your PC to work alright with GEFS just hope I will be able to soon as well. :cry: Regards

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

trevor432990 wrote:...strange things start to happen on my PC i.e. when I try the 'Save As' on Xpadder all 3 save option buttons begin to flash in turn and the system seems to be looping, tried changing the filename and the cursor moves right to left on it's own accord on the filename
99% of the time it's because Xpadder is simulating a keypress and so Windows is busy responding to it and moving and selecting things seemingly at random! Before opening the save dialog have a look at the main window - all the buttons should be white or maybe red for some stick directions. If they are green then Xpadder is currently simulating that particular key. Usually it's because a stick has been added with the wrong axes and Xpadder thinks you're moving the stick when you aren't. Check for any green buttons in the main window as this will tell you exactly what's going on.
trevor432990 wrote: Is there a way of importing the profile you sent me as I could not see that option in Xpadder?
Of course :D In my last post click the "Select All" link at the top and press Ctrl+C to copy the Profile text. Now in Xpadder go to the Profile menu and select Paste.

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

When I try to create a new key layout the left stick right button is constantly green and it remains that way. The right stick right button is always red. Any ideas or is this normal?

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Jonathan think I've worked out what the problem is. In Xpadder settings if I uncheck the Running option 'Use XInput (if installed)' the GREEN button goes away and then run GE with joystick 'enabled' it all seems to work. Just need to work out how to calibrate the left stick to fly straight and level cos it's constantly in a climb right now. Thanks for all your help again and I'll try not to clog up your support log anymore :oops:

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

trevor432990 wrote:...Just need to work out how to calibrate the left stick to fly straight and level cos it's constantly in a climb right now...
You may not need to calibrate your controller but calibrate your plane. Straight and level is quite difficult in real flight. You have to have all forces on your aircraft in harmony. Many amature simunauts gun the engines and go. The increased speed causes increased lift, with no input to the controls the plane will find a balance between airspeed, lift, density altitude, and rate of climb. You'll have to dial in the throttle and elevator trim to maintain straight and level flight with no stick control.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

trevor432990 wrote: In Xpadder settings if I uncheck the Running option 'Use XInput (if installed)' the GREEN button goes away and then run GE with joystick 'enabled' it all seems to work. Just need to work out how to calibrate the left stick to fly straight and level cos it's constantly in a climb right now.
It sounds as if there is a problem with your left stick. For a standard Xbox 360 controller there should be no difference between XInput on or off. The constant climbing is also controlled by the left stick so I think something is still wrong. Check out the controller properties by either clicking the tab in the top left or selecting Properties from the Controller menu:

The Axis X and Y should roughly match LThumbX and LThumbY (note the the Y's are opposite to each other). If one is way off compared to the other then there is your problem and we can figure out how to fix it.
trevor432990 wrote: Thanks for all your help again and I'll try not to clog up your support log anymore :oops:
No problem. This is exactly the reason why this forum exists - we're here to help :D

trevor432990

Post by trevor432990 »

Thanks again SGT and Jonathan I'll follow-up with the suggestions you've made. Am now using Xpadder with Fallout 3 and it se seems to be working nicely. Need to tune the controls still as there are so many within the game to allocate. All the best and please close the post as completed now.

Return to “Other questions”