Rotary Switches

splunk4u01

Rotary Switches

Post by splunk4u01 »

I use a Bodnar BU0836A. I have two 6-position rotary switches. This causes a problem as it means that at least 2 buttons are activated at all times (one on each rotary) depending on what position they are in.

My Questions:

1. Can I use Xpadder to tell games that these only click once? (Like the continuous option in AutoHotKey)
2. Because there is always one button activated on each rotary, I cannot get Xpadder to recognize position 1 on each rotary when setting up the controller with the button autodetect. I can get all the others to work by just moving the positions, but not position 1. I even tried starting the autodetect while in another position, but that doesn't work either.

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Rotary Switches

Post by Reboot »

I have been testing with a Bodnar BU0836 and an 8 pos rotary switch, there is no problem setting Xpadder to only click once, look at this picture, a command has to be followed by a pause.

this will send an "S" and only one,

does this help.

splunk4u01

Post by splunk4u01 »

yup, that answers question 1. Thanks :)

Now I just need to sort #2

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

With a rotary switch you can switch something on at pos “1” and then switch it off by turning to pos “2” and at the same time switch something else on,
Pos “1” can have an on command and an off command,
Pos”2” can also have a different on and off command, and all commands are momentary.

If the game doesn’t require a off command then don’t use it.

PS: I am sorry I don’t know what this (auto detect ) is.
Last edited by Reboot on 15 Oct 2010, 20:22, edited 1 time in total.

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

I can’t help much right now, all my equipment is dismantled and in boxes, I can setup some switches tomorrow if you still need help.

Reboot

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I guess he means the way to add buttons under Settings/Buttons.

I tried to "emulate" this problem with the 360pad, and the button that is already pressed when I open this settings was detected immediately. As long I hold a button, I could not detect any other. So you should get problems detecting all position of one of the switches, but the first selected position of one switch should be detected problem free.
But in every way, wouldn't it be a solution to remove the switches technically from the controller and to connect them after opening the button detection of Xpadder?

BTW:I found a strange bug. If I hold a button on my 360pad while starting Xpadder, the input signals of the 360pad will be shown also for my other controller. And the input for this other controller won't be detected at all, no matter if for the 360pad or for itself.
This could cause problems for the equipment of you both, since these switches hold button all the time.

splunk4u01

Post by splunk4u01 »

OK, I got the position 1 buttons to recognize now. Following Primal's logic, Xmapper seemed to be ignoring buttons that are depressed when it starts. I moved the positions to 2 and restarted it. That allowed me to map position 1 on both rotaries.

I'm now going to try to make a profile as Reboot suggested with a pause.

I'll let you know how it goes

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

I got my 8x rotary working but now I think about it, there were problems at the start, and I think I did just that! Use two attempts to set up one profile.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

As for the bug I found, now I think this should occur only with the 360pad. Xinput switched from my 360pad to my other non-xinput controller, so if a controller doesn't support xinput nothing should happen, I guess :?.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Primal Fear wrote:As for the bug I found, now I think this should occur only with the 360pad. Xinput switched from my 360pad to my other non-xinput controller, so if a controller doesn't support xinput nothing should happen, I guess :?.
To keep this topic on-topic can you post this bug in the Bugs forum and I'll check it out.

splunk4u01

Post by splunk4u01 »

Well, I tried everything but it seems the games just ignore the assignments and record the button that is held down.

I noticed that a program called SVmapper has a check field labeled "Continuous". People have been reporting that un-checking that works for them. Unfortunately, SVmapper doesn't do all the other cool things I want to do that Xpadder does. Would something like that be possible in Xpadder?

For now I've filed a feature request here: http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=115&t=2085

I'll take any other ideas!

Return to “Other questions”