Switching Profiles

jjetsky

Switching Profiles

Post by jjetsky »

I was playing Half Life and my Xbox 360 wireless controller was working very well. I ran into a constant crash and switched to a different game (Portal) till I could get help from Steam. Portal was also working very well. I tried to play Half Life again to submit an error report to Steam and I cannot get the Profile for Half Life to work/load. Portal still works, but the profile for Half LIfe won't work. I did make a new one, but it still won't "grab." I don't know if this is a normal glitch, do I need to jump through some hoops?

Any suggestions?

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Switching Profiles

Post by Mobeeuz »

Half-Life or Half-Life 2? New Half-Life from Steam or the old disc version?

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Half Life, the old one spiffed up by Steam. Every time I try to pick up a battery for my suit, I get a black screen to a crash. What's weird is that the left stick works in Half Life, but nothing else, no buttons or triggers. I was thinking about this last night and think somehow my Xpadder is hung up on the Portal profile? Because when I switch back to the Portal profile, it behaves normally. I don't know, just thinking out loud.

Chr1s
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Chr1s »

Xpadder should not cause any game crashes. (Unless the game can't handle some odd combination of inputs or something like that.)

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

I wasn't implying that it was the Xpadder. Just why I was trying to use the profile again, so I could get a screenshot for Steam.

Mobeeuz
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Mobeeuz »

Try resetting controls to default in game and verifying the cache in Steam. Also you could delete your cfg files in the half-life\valve\SAVE folder under Steam.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Oh, good idea about the resetting, Mobeeuz. I don't feel qualified to be messing around in the files. It would be my luck to mess up. I was thinking about trying to copy and save my Save files, and reloading the game, but then I might just be saving a problem. I can't use a keyboard to play because of an arthritic condition in my hands prevents rapid movement, but I do fine with a controller, so Xpadder has been a blessing.

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

If you're not comfortable deleting the .cfgs, you could just move them to another folder temporarily. If it doesn't work, you can always move them back. :)

Return to “Other questions”