Elder Scrolls, Oblivion

jjetsky

Elder Scrolls, Oblivion

Post by jjetsky »

This post is long and rambling but I wanted you to know the things I have tried.

I have been using Xpadder for long time, and even PAID for it last year because I think it is awesome. But this game is driving me nuts.

I have jumped through a lot of hoops. Followed the instructions on this site, Setup Instructions but it only worked when I had it in my Program files, and even then, it was iffy and not consistent. I don't like having Xpadder in my program files. Then I tried this - Change Ini file and that seemed to work. But just sort of.

Several places said to turn off the joystick control in the ini files and I did that, but it definitely did not work for me.

I even tried remapping the in game buttons to match my controller, (but couldn't figure out how to map the movement (left) stick.) That worked ok, turns out the program didn't need that. I still have an unmapped button (#8) floating in Neverland. So far so good. I can jump with the Y, open menu with B, interact and pick up with A and put up my fist with the X. The mouse button look around is working, the movement buttons are working, Crouch is working and so is Cast with the right bumper. But the triggers are dead. I have two frickin' rats attacking and I can't even swing my fists.

Also, the menu seems wonky. I can open it and see what is in it but cannot equip a sword which I took off a dead body. That may be because I need to move around a bit more. I need some help with the arrow keys so I can change screens in the menu area. I am using the mouse currently, and I could continue to do that, if necessary. I haven't tried to drop anything yet, which I understand can be a problem using the Xpadder, so any tips in that arena would be appreciated. My left bumper (Block) isn't working yet, but that may be game oriented and not Xpadder.

I really want to play this game. I played it about halfway through on the XBox some years ago but major health problems (eye in particular) make it impossible for me to play on the TV now and I am using my laptop. Oh, speaking of the laptop, I was able to get my resolution set up perfectly, so that isn't an issue, I saw where some people had that problem. Also, I got the game from Steam. I checked their forum for some help but mostly what you get there is a lot of flack about why anyone would want to use a controller and not use the mouse and keyboard. Grrr. That kind of mentality just infuriates me. :evil:

Thank you very much for listening to me rant. I am looking forward to your responses. JJ

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Elder Scrolls, Oblivion

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, the Steam forum isn't really known for a good manners. :lol:

My solution is here.
Should work great, you can assign all buttons manually in the game.

Edit: The solution from "The Unofficial Elder Scrolls Pages" is anyway total garbage. On one hand they activate the native gamepad support and on the other they want to completely use Xpadder. :roll:

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Thank you for the response, Primal Fear.

Ok, I got the ini changed. I am not nearly as afraid of that thing as I was a week ago. I have changed that sucker a dozen times in the past five days. Not bad for an old lady who will be 70 in 4 weeks. I have the left and right mouse assigned, attack to the right trigger and block to the left trigger. Don't know if they work yet.

My "look around" is really sluggish, I will have to adjust that. I have changed so many things I can't remember all I have done. But I have no left stick. It's dead. I didn't understand all that you said about the zones nor how to set that part, and apparently I have turned the WASD off somehow.

Oh, maybe I need to go back in and reset the buttons to default? I remapped them in the game earlier today, and it did help, I actually got to play for a few minutes. Hmm, now that shouldn't be it, but I will go back and set that to the defualt.

Honest to Pete, this is like looking through a bakery window and seeing a wonderful cheese danish just begging to be eaten but I can't open the door. :(

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You don't have to configure the zones yourself, simply Copy/Paste the profile i have posted there.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Uh huh, well copy paste is one of my specialities, but not in Xpadder, the function flat out eludes me. I went to your link, selected all, selected copy, went to my Xpadder controller which was opened and selected paste and it deleted my profile and gave me a blank page. Copy/paste, import/export do not work either in my brain or in my Xpadder.

Could you please be more specific, Primal Fear. I'm not a geek, just a gamelover. I need baby steps. Thanks, JJ

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have reinstalled Oblivion, so I recognized that the native controller support doesn't work in any menu, not even in the inventory and the journal. That makes it pretty useless, so I have created this profile. Make sure to reset the keyboard and mouse binding in the game back to default and then to follow the steps I have explained there.

Copy/Pasting a profile:
1.Click on "Select all"
2.Right click on the selected area and click on "Copy"/alternatively simply press CTRL+C
3.Open Xpadder, open the profile menu on the right and click on "Paste.."

If the controller image and the button layout disappeared (like following screenshot) you have pasted it on the wrong side.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Thank you so much for your help, Primal Fear.

I have spent the past three hours trying to make this work. :cry: Here is what I have done so far. I followed your instructions on the other page. Turned off the ini joystick; reset the game controls to default; copied and saved the profile as a .xpaddercontrol. So far so good. Saving the file is a royal pain for me, but I'm getting better at it.

Where I ran into a problem was installing the profile. I have two versions of Xpadder, old and new. Well, when I tried to load it on the old one, it told me the profile had been written on a newer version of xpadder. So ok, I opened my newer version, this time I get a message that it was "out of range." I messed around with all this stuff for hours, trying different things and finally gave up. I have switched back and forth with the two versions of Xpadder in the past year or so because it seems the older version works better on some of the older games.

One thing in your instructions I did not understand. You said
3.Change the key binding for "walk" (or kindly, German localization is pretty strange so I can only guess) from Shift to X (conflict between Shift and the arrow keys in the Main and Pause Menu)
and I don't know what you mean.

I know I could make my buttons match yours in the image. (I saved that, by the way, that will be very helpful) but you have additional settings that I do not know how to do. I'm good at applying the keyboard keys to the controller, but not at setting speeds and so forth.

I am determined to make this gamepad work, no matter what, so please don't give up on me. Again, thank you very much for your kind attention. JJ

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

What is "out of range" and when does this error message appear? The complete error message would be useful (apart of long lines of numbers).

Saving is actually simple, open the profile menu (right side) and click on "Save As...". Change the file name as you like and click on Save. If you should remove ".Xpadderprofile" from the filename it doesn't matter, it will be readded automatically.

[quote="jjetsky""]One thing in your instructions I did not understand. You said
Primal Fear wrote:3.Change the key binding for "walk" (or kindly, German localization is pretty strange so I can only guess) from Shift to X (conflict between Shift and the arrow keys in the Main and Pause Menu)
and I don't know what you mean.[/quote]
After starting the game click in the main menu on "Options", then on the lowest entry "Controls" (or kindly), then on the button on the lower left that should be also called "Controls". You should end in the window where you have reset the controls to default. Scroll down the list to the entry "Crouch/Sneak", click on the entry below! ("walk" or "run", in every way the key for it should be LShift) and press X on the keyboard.
Now everything should match with my profile.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Wow, talk about spooky, I decided I was going to try again and went to my email where I had stored a copy of the profile. When it opened, I put my mouse on the top message (the profile), the screen jumped and your new email popped up and was under my mouse icon. I'm serious, I sort of jumped in my chair. lol

That is nice to know about the save as info, Primal Fear. I think I will try that and call it something else. I thought it had to be called .xpadderprofile. That was pretty much the whole message, out of range. But I will go recreate it and do a screen shot if I can. I'll be back.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Ok, I wanted to be sure I had a fresh start, so I loaded a controller image and set up all the buttons. Then, when I tried to download your profile, it asked if I wanted to save the profile, hmm...so I said yes. Then I clicked on the top right bar and picked your profile, I got the message again. I was mistaken, it wasn't 'out of range,' but "range check error." Here is a picture of where I am so far.

The OblivionB you see on the top right is the one I saved of the layout, NOT your profile which is called Oblivion.xpadderprofile.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This version of Xpadder is relatively old, try the actual version from here.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

I downloaded the new version to a new folder, Primal Fear, set up my buttons, tried to download your profile and this is the message I got.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This is still not the actual version I have linked. You have to close Xpadder completely in the system tray and then start the new version.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Oh my gosh! It worked. I don't know what happened with the other download, but I deleted it and made sure the Xpadder was turned off and dowloaded the new version, it worked like a charm.

Thank you so much, Primal Fear. Heck, I am so excited at this stage I don't even care if the frickin game explodes. I am just thrilled that I was able to add a profile.

Well, that's not true, I want to play that game so bad it it like a sore tooth worrying me. Wish me luck!! JJ :D

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Image It didn't work.

I followed all the steps, have the Xpadder profile installed, and can see both pages on the screen, but it won't work in the game; turned off the joystick in the ini directory and changed the Run to X (I do not have walk in my control options, so I guessed at walk.) Only the mouse and keyboard were working.

So I tried turning the ini joystick back on and got some controller options, but only about half the stuff worked, and not on the assigned keys. I am so sad. :(

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Probably the UAC-issue, I don't have this problem as I have directly deactivated Windows User Account Control.
But deactivating UAC isn't the solution want recommend to anybody (security purposes), but there is another possibility to solve this problem for Xpadder, start Xpadder with Administrator right.
http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/11 ... rator.html
First fully close Xpadder in the system tray and then try Option One or Two of the link above.
If that works you can use Option Four to run Xpadder every time automatically as admin.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Thank you, Primal Fear. I am familiar with UAC, on my last computer I turned it off completely because it was obnoxious. Thanks for the ideas, I'll let you know.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

You are a genius, Primal Fear. I changed Xpadder to run as an admin and the controller is working fine. Thank you very much for your help. I love this game and you made ie happen!

I will have to do something about the left bumper though. When I draw my weapon the inventory also opens. It gets really complicated trying to close that and switch between sword and torch.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You said you have reactivaed the native controller support in th Oblivion.ini. This is exactly what is causing these double functions.
Deactivate it again by changing the entry "bUse Joystick=" to "0".

Besides: Does walking and running with the left stick work?

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Phew, I was pulling my hair out. The controller wasn't working right at all. Finally I remembered to run Xpadder as an administator. I didn't think I would have to do it everytime I turned it on. Turning the ini from 1 to 0 did the trick. Thanks. I love the settings. The two arrow keys are a joy to use.

Yes, I can walk and run with the left stick. But to run, I have to press the caps lock. So I only have two speeds, either a creeping slow walk or a run, no inbetween.

Thank you for all your help. JJ

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The running works that way, even with the native gamepad support it's almost the same. It starts only with an even slower walking speed that goes analogously up to the walking speed with Xpadder and then it also switches abrupt to run.

To have Xpadder automatically running as Admin every time right click on the Xpadder.exe, click "Properties", click on the Tab "Compatibility", check "Run this Program as an Administrator" and click OK. I have already mentioned to use "Option four" if "Run as Administrator" works.

BTW: I have made some changes to the profile that makes it even better. The changes are on the lower end of the profile post.

Edit: I forgot to say that there are two more key bindings to change.
Under Keyboard Use=--- to B and under Mouse Use=LMouseButton to --- (by pressing Escape after clicking on it)

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Thanks, Primal Fear. I never did get up to running using just the stick. He would only walk at one speed no matter how I tried, like push a little and then to the max, just stayed the same creeping walk. He actually looks like he is sneaking. But I just had another thought. When nothing was working earlier, I installed a new copy of the .ini, which means the change I made yesterday of changing the Shift to the X was gone. So I need to fix that. That could be why his walk is a sneaky one.

I did that admin setting in Xpadder yesterday, that is how I got it to work for me. But apparently when I shut my computer off for the night, the admin option gets reset. I'll mess around with it and see if I can get it to stay set. Could just be the way my UAC is setup? I left the UAC turned on because my children and grandchildren get on my computer a lot now. And the kids go to some really funky sites. :lol:

I don't know about these new changes, it's working great. But I will check them out. I went into the arena a couple of times trying to earn some money. I won my two fights, but he seems a bit slow with the sword. I probably just need to work on his (my) skills.

I really appreciate all your work at this, you are going to make some folks mighty happy. I am really enjoying the game, and it's because of being to use the controller. :D

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

Just wanted to say thank you very much, Primal Fear. I have been playing with your profile for weeks now and it is working wonderfully. Again, thank you for your time.

Señor Cinco

Post by Señor Cinco »

Every topic on this is rather old, so this one is the newest staying on the Oblivion topic.

I made the move to PC from the Xbox, two mths ago. I just downloaded Oblivion from Steam. To my dismay, it deos not support the Xbox controller. I am actually using an "Afterglow" model, but it functions the same. I have used it for Skyrim, FO3 and FONV. I tried several things and decided to download Xpadder. It was suggested from the UESP pages. BUT it doesn't work like it is laid out on that site.

I am trying to get it to function exactly like the console. This is proven to be an issue. It seems that it does not work that way. I have tried a couple of suggested profiles from here, but they are just not to my liking. I played Oblivion for 5 years and it is hard to see anything different. I am old and my mussel memory is hard to reprogram.

The main issue I have is the movement stick (Left Stick). I cannot deal with having to hit the "Shift" key every time I want to walk or run. The site description says that you can just set it to "run" and the stick will compensate for walking automatically, because it is an analog input. This is NOT the case.

I figured that after all these updated versions of this software and the fact that Oblivion is so old that SOMEONE has figured out how to make it work. Maybe it's just me. I am not CPU savvy by any means. I am used to a Plug-and-Play mentality.

Thanks in advance.

Señor Cinco

Post by Señor Cinco »

OK! It DOES work! I realized I had the Xpadder version from a year ago. That was the version that was downloaded from the "purchase" page. You would think that it would have given you the latest version available. Had it done that I would have been less...stressed with figuring this out.

I tried Primal Fear's Oblivion 360 profile, and with the updated version, it works great. It is still kind of quirky with the other functions, but I believe I can manage. The other thing I will miss is being able to adjust the camera distance on the fly. I must resort to the mouse wheel to preset it during gameplay.

I move the camera around "a lot". Switching from 1st tp 3rd and panning in and out, pending the situation. I guess this is as good as it gets. I will be using this for The Witcher and Morrowind as well. Thanks to all involved in this great software.
Last edited by Señor Cinco on 08 May 2012, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

That's great, Senor Cinco. I was very grateful for the profile I got here. I also plan to play Morrowind again with the mods and downloads, but on the PC. I'm looking forward to it, it is my favorite game of all time.

Señor Cinco

Post by Señor Cinco »

jjetsky wrote:That's great, Senor Cinco. I was very grateful for the profile I got here. I also plan to play Morrowind again with the mods and downloads, but on the PC. I'm looking forward to it, it is my favorite game of all time.
I am fond of it as well. I say that, but I am not fond of the over the top amount of Cliffracers. I have it for the Xbox as well, but want to implement mods to make it look better, give more character creation choices and by all means lessen the numbers of those horrid creatures.

There are a couple of mods i seen, that completely eliminate the Cliffracers. I just want to take out a few. Not throw them into extinction.

Still great game and look forward to getting it set up with this program.

Now. I just need to get use to the set up for Oblivion. I will be posting on my new character's adventures and the new controller set up, in the Bethsoft Forums - The Oblivion Dead Is Dead Thread. Great fun and great people.

jjetsky

Post by jjetsky »

I missed being able to Levitate in Oblivion, and also Skyrim. Morrowind fulfilled a lot of my fantasy expectations. I haven't played it in years so do not remember the cliffracers, interesting, guess I'm in for some major battles. I like to build my character up to ridiculous stats and levels so I can go anywhere and do anything. It's just how I like to play. I also no longer have my game guide which I had annotated and postit notes all over the place. Guess it will be like a brand new adventure for me. Yay!!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Señor Cinco wrote:The other thing I will miss is being able to adjust the camera distance on the fly. I must resort to the mouse wheel to preset it during gameplay.
You can adjust the camera distance with the left stick (forward/backward) while holding the right stick button.

Return to “Other questions”