[HELP] Mass Effect 1

scott243

[HELP] Mass Effect 1

Post by scott243 »

Hi there,

I'm new to the xpadder program, and I'm trying to set up my own profile for Mass Effect 1, as I play it on my laptop and I don't have a mouse. Unfortunately, playing this game with the keyboard and touchpad is not the greatest. Anyway, the problem I'm having is with the trigger buttons. I currently have the profile for my ps3 controller set up so that the L trigger is zoom (right mouse button) and the R trigger is fire (left mouse button). If I tap the R trigger, the gun will fire and if I hold the L trigger, the reticle zooms in. The problem is that if I tap the R trigger to fire while holding the L trigger, it doesn't fire. Instead, it does some kind of double-zoom effect or something. I haven't told xpadder to do this at all, so I'm unsure how to tell xpadder to stop. I can fire while being zoomed in with the touchpad, so I can confidently say this behaviour is being cause by xpadder somehow.

Can one of you gurus help me out here? Also, since you might ask, I'm not really interested in using the mass effect profiles listed here because I'm not looking for a complicated multi-set profile. I'm fine with using the keyboard for lesser-used features, I just want to use the gamepad for movement/looking/basic functions. I have everything else working the way I want so far, with this one exception. Thanks!

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Re: [HELP] Mass Effect 1

Post by Kloreep »

Are these triggers analog? Depending on the driver, non-XInput triggers are sometimes read as a single axis, which can cause them to cancel each other out.

If the problem is only with Xpadder, then it should probably be observable in Xpadder. With the Xpadder window open and visible, try pressing each of the triggers in turn; they should each light up green when held. Now try doing the same L-Trig + R-Trig combination that's problematic in-game; what lights up green? If the axis issue is the problem, neither will.

If they're both lighting up like you'd expect them to, perhaps you could paste your profile in so we can see what you're using.

scott243

Post by scott243 »

That must be the issue then. When I hold both buttons down, they cancel each other out. I'm guessing there isn't a way to get around that in xpadder if it's a driver issue. I use motioninjoy to get my pc to recognize the ps3 controller, so I'm going to look through that program to see if there's a way to change the axis of the trigger buttons. Thanks for clearing this up though. It gives me an idea of where to look. :)

*UPDATE* I can in fact change the button assignments on the controller through motioninjoy, but it causes problems with xpadder. By default, the L2 and R2 buttons are assigned to the Z+ and Z- axes, so I changed those to none, and assigned the L2 and R2 to 2 of the unused buttons on the profile. When I tested it through motioninjoy, they were working properly, but when I fired up xpadder again, L2 was lit up green like I was holding it down even though I wasn't touching the controller. The only way I could stop it from doing that was to reassign L2 to the Z axis again. So maybe this isn't going to work after all?

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

Make sure you change the Xpadder Controller file to match the change in driver. (Delete the Z axis triggers and put in the new button triggers.)

scott243

Post by scott243 »

This is probably a stupid question, but how do I do that?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Clicking the controller name box will open the Controller Settings. You can then choose the trigger section and clear the enable check box.

Then go to the buttons section and you know what to do. :)

Return to “Other questions”