Throttle like capability using the trigger buttons

dillweed

Throttle like capability using the trigger buttons

Post by dillweed »

Hello and great program Jonathan and team.

I just got a xbox 360 controller to play Skyrim and BF3. I''ve found that setting up the controller via xpadder pretty straight forward for Skyrim, however I'm having some trouble with BF3. I mostly use it for jets and prefer the mouse/keyboard for ground-pounding.

Using the xbox controller works pretty well for jets, however having to hold the trigger button at a certain point for throttle is rather difficult for me. I was wondering if xpadder could be used in such a way that when I push the trigger button down 1/4 of the way the throttle of the jet is put at 1/4 and then held same for other positions 1/2, 3/4 and so on. Additionally, I want to be able to hit the other trigger 1/4 to slow the plane to 1/4 speed and then hold it there. My understanding is that xpadder is only a keybutton/mouse emulator and reading this post http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php?f=86&t=3081 a throttle can be achieved with limited success. (btw, I hope that I'm not posting a question already answered).

At any rate, what would be the best way to accomplish this or at the current time this is not possible with xpadder?

Thanks for the help!

dillweed

Re: Throttle like capability using the trigger buttons

Post by dillweed »

I guess I'm going to have to bump my post...even though it is already at the top. :)

Anyways, the more I think about it, the more I wonder if this could be programmed in such a way as to hold a key position, which is different than having a key repeat. A throttle on a true joystick, like the Microsoft sidewinder, is able to maintain a certain position wherever the throttle position is in. I'm hoping to emulate that with the triggers, but then be able to let go and have the throttle be maintained. Plus, if I push the same trigger either shorter or further than the past position the throttle would be adjusted according. It seems to me that the xbox controller already has the built in range for triggers, I"m wondering if xpadder could hold that position after the trigger is let go. Do you think this could be programmed into xpadder?

Well, maybe I'm just rambling, but I hope someone has an answer. I'm hoping that I didn't spend my money in vain.

Cheers,
Dillweed

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Xpadder cannot alter the input that comes directly from the controller in any way, so holding the Trigger non-physically on a certain point is not possible. I also wouldn't know a different way how to archive this.
Is it possible somehow to alter the speed of a helicopter with keyboard and mouse? Maybe by moving the mouse back/forward or by using the keys 1-0 like in usual Flight sims.

Another possibility would be using a Joystick with a slider.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

You would probably like something like a Saitek P750/P2000. Both are pretty old, but possibly to get as used (Amazon Marketplace/Ebay). Their big drawback, only one analogue stick.

Alternatively, it's pretty simple to remove the springs out of the triggers of the Xbox360pad, but than their would bee need for a way to get the trigger back out another way. :?:

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

guess he could try xbcd(or X360WC if its a wireless pad)

dillweed

Post by dillweed »

Thanks for the input. As far as I can tell in BF3 forward in the jet does not allow you to set a speed in the middle of stop and full speed when using the keyboard. I honestly don't know if the throttle works with BF3 with a true joystick as my Microsoft Sidewinder Pro is too old and the necessary drivers don't work with Win7 64bit. At any rate, I got my controller mapped out pretty well thus far with the thumb joysticks (or whatever you call them) set to emulate my mouse. Now, I just need to get use to it.

Anyhoo, I don't know if I should ask a different question in this thread or now, but I'm going to anyways. :)

I was wondering if there was the possibility of having the mouse emulation speed be linear and not accelerated at the end of the stick movement. The jets over correct with a large acceleration and it makes it difficult to steer. I was hoping that a linear acceleration would prevent this over steering and make it easier to fly.

Thanks for the help thus far.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I suppose that the game interprets a the mouse movement differently while flying.
Click on the tool symbol near the stick with the mouse assignment and click on "Mouse Settings...".
Try out the "Mouse Spring" option for that. Note that the emulation speed setting doesn't have any affect with this setting.

But if you have configured a high mouse emulation speed, you will have this problem that mouse movement is either to slow or to fast. I usually recommend to use a lower mouse emulation speed in Xpadder (in ever way to a value under 100) and to increase the mouse sensitivity in the game instead. But if you use keyboard and mouse too, you have to decrease the DPI-value of your mouse too (if possible).

Return to “Other questions”