Profile Submission Format Requirements

baobobafet

Profile Submission Format Requirements

Post by baobobafet »

Hi,

I looked around the forums, checked out a few profiles and did a search on submitting profiles but didn't notice any info. I can get a pretty good idea of submitting a profile based on what is on the board already, but I have a few questions.

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro joystick I wrote a profile for and would like to share it, but wondered if I need to supply the controller layout file code (.xpaddercontroller) as well. My gut tells me not since I haven't see this done in available profiles.
Is there no reason to include this file?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Profile Submission Format Requirements

Post by Primal Fear »

How to post a game profile, you can find such topics in the Game Profiles sub forum, these are the light blue topics (the stickies) on the top.

It isn't necessary to add the layout as everyone with the same controller will created the same controller layout, at least in the important areas. The only part that could become a little bit problematic with joysticks are the twist (rudder control) and the slider(s), so you should mentions this in your profile post
I use the second stick left/right for the twist and and the right trigger for the slider (so you can place the right trigger over the left one, to see only the one you use).

baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Thankyou for the forum links. So what I am so far taking away from what you wrote is, controller files are okay to post just generally not required under most circumstances.
Since 'most' people who have an Extreme 3D Pro stick, already have a controller file made for it.
Though I suspect, the people who don't already have a controller file made for their 3D pro joysticks - might be the first to appreciate the availability of a pre-configured one.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If you want to post a controller file you'll get a problem. The image, if it is included, has a few million characters which means that it exceeds the limit of allowed characters in one forum post. So posting Controller Layouts is only possible if you remove the image before.

baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Roger that.

I noticed some conversation on the board in regards to to this issue 8)
Apart from taking the image out to keep the code short, I suppose posting an (ImageShack) pic of the controller image file (and perhaps adding a link to the controller image database) might be a considerate option.

Perhaps easier than this :lol: I could post a link to the controller file at some file share place. on the off chance someone might find it helpful.

Edit: Is is worth noting (for any new users reading this) that fileshare sites don't like files with non standard file extensions (like xpadder files) so any file as such needs to be archived as a zip or rar file first before it can be uploaded.

Unfortunately even pastebin.com has a 500 kilobytes per paste limit.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I see two possibilities of services that I use, one is Google Docs and the other Box.net.
At Box.net I can simply upload a controller file and offer it for direct download, like that. If I would replace ".xpaddercontroller" with ".txt", there would be a preview visible, but it's useless as it cannot be copied.
At Google Docs I have two possibilities. I can simply upload it as ".xpaddercontroller", like that. That would actually be exactly the same like on Box.net. The second possibility would be to create a copy of that controller file and to replace the ".xpaddercontroller" with ".txt". When I upload this text file, Goggle Docs shows a preview option, so it can be Copy&Pasted like profiles.

baobobafet

Post by baobobafet »

Excellent to know Box.net allows to upload/download Xpadder controller files directly without the need to archive as zip or rar.

--------------------------
Primal Fear wrote:
If I would replace ".xpaddercontroller" with ".txt", there would be a preview visible, but it's useless as it cannot be copied.
At Google Docs I have two possibilities. I can simply upload it as ".xpaddercontroller", like that.
---------------------------
(broken link?)

Primal Fear wrote:
That would actually be exactly the same like on Box.net. The second possibility would be to create a copy of that controller file and to replace the ".xpaddercontroller" with ".txt". When I upload this text file, Goggle Docs shows a preview option, so it can be Copy&Pasted like profiles.

A very good point (& xlnt link btw), although personaly, I'd prefer downloading the controller file directly.
Since I get to sidestep the issues of either accurately pasting large files - or removing the controller image to reduce the size for posting,
only to have to reinstate the controller image file again later.

Thanks again Primal, for the helpful info. :)

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

baobobafet wrote: [quote="Primal Fear]If I would replace ".xpaddercontroller" with ".txt", there would be a preview visible, but it's useless as it cannot be copied.
At Google Docs I have two possibilities. I can simply upload it as ".xpaddercontroller", like that.
(broken link?)[/quote][/quote][/quote]
No, the link for Google Docs works fine and for the preview version on Box.net I didn't post any link as it is useless anyways.

Return to “Other questions”