Control settings for using analog sticks with camera rotation

t.volkenborn

Control settings for using analog sticks with camera rotation

Post by t.volkenborn »

Hello,

I have a few questions about setting up my right analog stick correctly to use it for camera and rotation in games like SW:TOR or GW2. I uploaded a screensot to visualize my questions :)

1. If you want to use the analog stick for camera and rotation you can configure XPadder in two ways. You can either have the right mouseclick 1st and then the movement or you can have the mouse movement 1st and then right mouse click. (upper two pics in my screenshot). IS THERE A DIFFERENCE IN THOSE TWO WAYS OR SHOULD I PREFER ONE OVER THE OTHER?

2. Do I understand the sequence pause (in this screenshot 0.10s) correct that this is the time XPadder waits before it uses the two commands? If it is, then wouldn't make it sense to reduce this time to 0.00s or maybe 0.05s to start the command you want instantly?

3. What do the 10% distance mean?

Thanks for your help and answers!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Control settings for using analog sticks with camera rotation

Post by Primal Fear »

1. No there is no difference. As long as you doesn't place any Hold, Release or Distance Zone or Pause between them, they will be pressed at the same time no matter which comes first.

2.&3. These Settings are for Pauses, Hold and Release Zones, respectively the percentage for the Distance Zone. They have no effect as long as you didn't place such slots, the assignment will be trigger instantly.
Read this tutorial for more informations.

chaosplm

Post by chaosplm »

Relevant so I'll post this here:

I am using xpadder to play GW2, and using the right analog stick for camera rotation (as shown above), however in-game, I notice that I often see the cursor blinking in and out, and moving in the direction I hold the analog stick in when I pan in any direction. This is especially annoying because unless I manually reset the position of the cursor every 5 minutes or so, the cursor will have moved to the edge of the screen and I can no longer pan in that direction. Additionally, the appearance and disappearance of this cursor acts as a 'right click on this area' in the game, so I often end up auto-attacking things that pass in front of my cursor, or untargeting enemies in mid-combat. Is there something I can do with my setup to prevent this? (ie. make it so that while the analog stick is in use, the cursor is not visible, and acts solely for panning purposes, as it would were I to hold down the right mouse button and move the mouse to pan)

Just to be clear, the right analog stick is currently set up for right click + appropriate direction, with nothing else. (like the first image in this post)

EDIT:

After mulling this over, I thought perhaps it could be set up like:

Distance Zone 0% for Right Click
Distance Zone 1% for Mouse Movement

So that right click is always active? Would that work?

EDIT EDIT:

Okay so I had enough time to try what I suggested above and see it didn't work. Currently set up with a toggle button that toggles right click, and the right stick is only set to mouse up/down/left/right. Works fine until I switch sets, then have to re-toggle. If anyone has a better suggestion, please feel free to respond :)
Last edited by chaosplm on 27 Aug 2012, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have two different possibilities for you. (Edit: another one is now some posts below)
The first one is using the mouse spring, you can activate it by clicking on the tool symbol near the right stick, clicking on "Mouse Settings..." and then clicking in the Mouse Settings Window on "Spring". With it you can center the mouse cursor before holding the RMB and after releasing the stick, by assigning two different mouse directions. Like that:

Code: Select all

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1StickDiagonalSizes=45,85
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2UpMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Right,Right Mouse Button (2),RELEASE ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Up,Mouse Move Down,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Down,Right Mouse Button (2),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down,Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownMouseMode=Spring
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left,HOLD ZONE 0.01s,Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right,HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Left,Right Mouse Button (2),RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftMouseMode=Spring
There are two possible problems with that, that the mouse spring is too sensitive or that it doesn't work correctly (so basically like the normal cursor or look mode, but only with one possible speed). But the last one should be unlikely if the cursor is moving together with the camera movement.

The other possibility is to assign the RMB first then a Hold Zone of 0.02s and then RMB+mouse direction. Like that:

DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01
Name=(Untitled profile)
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),HOLD ZONE 0.02s,Mouse Move Left,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
If you want to implement on of these profiles directly into your existing profile, have a look here.
Last edited by Primal Fear on 17 Sep 2012, 19:09, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: added link to another possibility

chaosplm

Post by chaosplm »

Awesome, I'll try these out tonight and see what works best. Thanks much!

jessepolhemus85

Post by jessepolhemus85 »

I found a program that snaps the cursor to the middle of the screen which helps alot "Ultramon". Also i have problems with the right click button such as an engineer when i place turrets down and if the cursor hovers them it will pick them back up with any slight movement in the right thumb stick! This gets to be frustrating because it lacks my abilities to use anything that can be picked back up.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Really nice tool. But if you don't have any interest in the other features of it, then 39,95$ is a really high price. http://www.realtimesoft.com/

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

When I think about it, you probably have to press a key to move the cursor to the center. If you would assign it directly to the stick directions on release, the cursor would be reseted every time you move the stick in another of the eight directions. So you can only assign the key to a gamepad button, but this way is also with Xpadder only possible. That would be another third possibility:

DataType=Profile
Version=2012.05.01
Name=(Pasted Profile (Untitled profile))
Set1StickDiagonalSizes=45,85
Set1Button10Name=reset cursor
Set1Button10SetSelect=1
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Up,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,TAP TIME 10m00.00s,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=65
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Right,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,TAP TIME 10m00.00s,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=65
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Down,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,TAP TIME 10m00.00s,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=65
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Right Mouse Button (2),Mouse Move Left,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,TAP TIME 10m00.00s,Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=65
Set2Button10Slots=Mouse Move Left,Mouse Move Right
Set2Button10SetSelect=0
Set2Button10MouseSpeed=32
Set2Button10MouseMode=Spring

Return to “Other questions”