Xpadder interface goes blank and program stop responding

legend

Xpadder interface goes blank and program stop responding

Post by legend »

Been using Xpadder for many years and never had any problem until I upgraded to Win8. I'm using the dec 2012 version. It's fine when I first start my pc (it starts with it) but then after a period of time I notice none of my auto launch profiles are working and when I go check the program, I see this:
http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/82 ... reulk.png/

Have to do a restart to get it back. :(

legend

Re: Xpadder interface goes blank and program stop responding

Post by legend »

Jesus. It's because I switched to a wireless controller and it happens to be off sometimes when I check Xpadder. NOW, I get why most of the UI is unavailable with no active controllers, but you got to handle this use case better. Simply show a string in this scenario to inform the user WHY most of the UI is gone.

I'd display a message like: "No active controllers found. Please plug-in a controller to get started."

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

In that case you have posted a screenshot where controller wasn't on already when Xpadder was started. Otherwise there would have still been the tab of the controller with a red background.
The next thing that confused me was that there is no magnifying glass icon instead of the tab, but this is going to be explained with this third button next to the settings and help button. "Automatically detect new controller" is disabled".
legend wrote:..., but you got to handle this use case better. Simply show a string in this scenario to inform the user WHY most of the UI is gone.

I'd display a message like: "No active controllers found. Please plug-in a controller to get started."
Clicking on the search button does nothing at all if no controller is connected. Now if I would think that there is actually a controller connected, I would expect the program to be frozen and would try restarting it. Totally unnecessary...

legend

Post by legend »

Not sure what you're saying exactly......

But anyway, if "auto detect new controllers" if off (which I think it is by default), the main UI should not be blank like it is. Name one other professional app that acts like that in this same scenario. Think of wireless controllers...which go off by themselves all the time. In this case, I might open Xpadder and be confused by the blank screen - it looks like it was in a non-responsive state.

I've been in QA for ~7yrs. and I feel I have a good judgement when it comes to proper error handling and user experience/messaging....and this situation initially confused the hell out of me. Definitely think there should be a "bit more help" in this situation.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I just wanted to say that you are basically right (I don't have anything to do with the development of Xpadder, so I'm not able change this).
But:
legend wrote:...the main UI should not be blank like it is.
Everything is connected to the respective controller, so what would expect to see? The only component that would make at least a bit sense would be a grayed out controller menu and profile menu button.
With "Automatically detect new controller" on (which is of course the default setting) it would also be a stupid idea to directly show an error message if no controller is connected when starting. Imagine you would let start Xpadder automatically with Windows, but only connect the controller if necessary (like I do). That would trigger a error message with every boot up.
But there should be an error message when clicking the search icon (or the search button with "automatically detect new controllers" disabled) that says that no controllers could be found, tells the user to check the basic things (usb connection, wireless connection, battery power, controller on), allows the user to verify that problem by clicking on a button below to open the game controller control panel and tells him to visit the Xpadder forum if he cannot found a solution himself.

beowulf22

Post by beowulf22 »

Okay, Im sick of trying to figure this out,
and frankly I am at wits end.

Ive downloaded xpadder, the drivers for the microsloth 360 controller are up to date, and gtg, but xpadder simply does not seem to "see" it.
YES, the autodetect is on.
the tab in the upper left is blank, not red, no magnifying glass, no controller, just a white box.
I select "new" And nothing happens. NOTHING AT ALL.

I have tried R Clicking on an image from the database, and paste it, NOTHING.
If I copy the image, Xpadder simply does not recognize it at all.

Ive tried following the instructions multiple times, and not a single thing is happening.
For gorrams sake. What the hell?

beowulf22

Post by beowulf22 »

I amend and redact my last.

Turns out for some reason it was being forcibly run in XP svc pack 3.
Not windows 7.

Corrected, moving on.

Return to “Other questions”