Is it possible to create a "mod" for Xpadder?

Darkitow

Is it possible to create a "mod" for Xpadder?

Post by Darkitow »

Hi there! I open a thread again (you must be tired of me already) since in this one we discussed a subject that gave me a couple ideas, but I'm not even sure about its implementation or even if it's possible.

If you've been reading my threads you'll see that my main issues have been with multiple set selectors, and trying to overcome Xpadder's glitches that cause it to get stuck in the wrong set when multiple selectors are used together. As I've discussed many times, it would be interesting for me that Xpadder had a function that resetted a profile to its "default" set (usually set 1) when no buttons are being held. Of course, while that's a suggestion that might be implemented someday but most probably won't, I've been looking for ways to address this issue without messing my gameplay too much due to hitting the wrong keys. That landed me in the already mentioned thread about AutoIt, which I tried, but still wasn't a good solution for my issue (my fault for wanting to do something so complicated). But then, AutoIt gave me an idea, which I'm not sure if it's even possible, but worth asking at least.

Would it be possible to create a plugin of sorts for Xpadder with Autoit, that "listened" to the program's internal workings, to detect these issues and maybe work around them? In my interest's case, I would use a plugin that kicked the program back to set 1 everytime it detected that the set selector buttons were not being pushed. This would allow for so much more freedom, since I would be able to ditch many workarounds I've used to suppress the issue (pauses and delays to set selectors), I wouldn't have to worry about mseeing things in the game, and I probably would even be able to cut the number of sets I require since it would somewhat replace the "while-held" set selector (if I had this plugin, I could set a button as an one-way turbo, but it would still go back to the previous set when the button was released due to the plugin's workings).

I have no idea of how AutoIt works yet, and probably I should be asking this in their forums, but I would like to ask for Xpadder "know-it-alls" opinion on the matter before jumping into the sea of attemping to create this.

So, would it be possible?

rockeumel

Re: Is it possible to create a "mod" for Xpadder?

Post by rockeumel »

My Problem is, that a two way set changer on hold, it is not adjustable whether the set is changing on tap or release.
So it happens that i end up in the wrong set, because the set changes on trigger release, but it should only be activated on tap/hold.

Including the setchanging function in the assignment should solve that problem.

Darkitow

Post by Darkitow »

Yeah, the set change is triggered at button's release unless you use a "while-held" mode, and the only way to override that is using the turbo function.

The real problem with set changes is the fact that the set selectors are too sensitive. They're so sensitive that even the program itself gets messed with it, because a split-second tap can trigger it, but then that information is not carried to the next set due to the quick tap. Having the set selectors as a normal assignment would give us more control over this because it would allow us to add delays and workarounds to prevent that. If only hold zones worked with sets, for example, I'm sure this issue wouldn't exist, simply because you could make the set selectors trigger only after a long enough tap.

Another, more internal solution would of course be to, either make the set selector functions less senitive, so they require a longer tap to register as I've mentioned more times, or to add a time frame in which a button is considered "pressed" to carry to the next set. With this I mean that if a button is pressed, even for a split second, it would be registered as being pressed for a longer time, even in between sets, enough to register the full commands and avoid it getting stuck in the middle of them.

In any case, my idea of a mod would be more like a quick fix, of course. Not everybody wants their profiles to reset to a "default" set when no button is pressed because they don't use "while-held" set selectors, but for those that use it, would be a good option.

rockeumel

Post by rockeumel »

I don't know, what's Jonathans plan for xpadder, but maybe he should rethink the extended functions, revise it in a Version 2.0, and include a check, to find out for which version of xpadder is a profil made, to be compatible for older profils.

Also i wish a feature, wherein you can set the validity of single functions in an assignment, something like brackets, to define how many following slots are affected.
"distance zone 85% ( X, Y, Hold Zone 0,30s ( Z) )"

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Nice request.

Darkitow

Post by Darkitow »

Funny thing is this. It's a two-years-old thread where Jonathan himself mentions that there's a poll somewhere to decide whether add a "Set Slot" in a future update. There's also another feature that I was thinking I'd like to see here, on another old thread. I dug these up thanks to the new Set subforum, and I wonder what happened to these polls/plans. I assume that there's a suggestions subforum/thread and I don't have permission to access it (I wonder if the requirement is just post count or a mod should enable it for you), and I'm really curious. Did people vote against it? Are these possible new additions just not in the priority list of stuff to add on the next update?

Because the more I play with Xpadder the more I wish these had been added already.

rockeumel

Post by rockeumel »

It exist a lot of good ideas, but who knows how difficult it is to add it to xpadder, without interupt other functions, or have to rewrite the whole programm.

Darkitow

Post by Darkitow »

Hmm, I'm not sure that "adding" a Set slot is THAT difficult, but I talk from my own lack of knowledge and very basic programming skills.

If we were talking about removing the current Set functions, and putting this Set slot instead, I agree with you, that seems very troublesome because it seems integrated in pretty much every aspect of the program. But just adding a slot to exist along the already existing set functions, to my eyes shouldn't pose that much of a trouble. The function is there already, you just need to add a way to call it as a slot and nottt globally.

But again, I'm just speculating.

pier4r

Post by pier4r »

Darkitow wrote:Funny thing is this. It's a two-years-old thread where Jonathan himself mentions that there's a poll somewhere to decide whether add a "Set Slot" in a future update. There's also another feature that I was thinking I'd like to see here, on another old thread. I dug these up thanks to the new Set subforum, and I wonder what happened to these polls/plans. I assume that there's a suggestions subforum/thread and I don't have permission to access it (I wonder if the requirement is just post count or a mod should enable it for you), and I'm really curious. Did people vote against it? Are these possible new additions just not in the priority list of stuff to add on the next update?

Because the more I play with Xpadder the more I wish these had been added already.
Yep "advanced things" are really welcome also for me.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Darkitow wrote:The real problem with set changes is the fact that the set selectors are too sensitive. They're so sensitive that even the program itself gets messed with it, because a split-second tap can trigger it, but then that information is not carried to the next set due to the quick tap. Having the set selectors as a normal assignment would give us more control over this because it would allow us to add delays and workarounds to prevent that. If only hold zones worked with sets, for example, I'm sure this issue wouldn't exist, simply because you could make the set selectors trigger only after a long enough tap.
The actual problem is the turbo used in the workarounds. When you start pressing the button, it's already predetermined that the set will change. But only after 0.01s when the turbo is causing that the button is going to be release although you are still holding. But if you release the button together with the turbo after only 0.01s, the set selector will only work as a two-way as originally intended. If you would use a slot based turbo and set selector there would still be this problematic moment, just later.
The While-held set selector doesn't have this problem. So what Xpadder would need to do, is checking already before returning to a set (say from Set2 to Set1) if there is a another button with a set selector assigned in the set to return to (so Set1) currently held, and if this is the case directly switch to the set this button leads to instead.
But in reality Xpadder is simply ignoring that and switches the set after the button has been released.
Darkitov wrote:Funny thing is this. It's a two-years-old thread where Jonathan himself mentions that there's a poll somewhere to decide whether add a "Set Slot" in a future update. There's also another feature that I was thinking I'd like to see here, on another old thread. I dug these up thanks to the new Set subforum, and I wonder what happened to these polls/plans. I assume that there's a suggestions subforum/thread and I don't have permission to access it (I wonder if the requirement is just post count or a mod should enable it for you), and I'm really curious. Did people vote against it? Are these possible new additions just not in the priority list of stuff to add on the next update?
Yes, there has been a suggestion sub forum. Jonathan has been hiding it some time ago, I would say because there is anyways too much stuff in it and people have only made new posts of potential futures that were already somewhere there to find.
Seemingly it wasn't possible to add these features (profile-wide toggle, slot based set selection/turbo/toggle/rumble) without turning the whole program code upside-down and leaving a great chaos. You shouldn't give more than a slight hope that these feature will ever be a part of Xpadder.

Darkitow

Post by Darkitow »

That's where my suggestion comes to. I wonder if Jonathan would be willing to allow for user-made plugins, although I don't know how did he code the program so I don't really know if it would be easy or not. I remember that when I was coding some add-on for Ragnarök online in Lua, I had my code done in a way that it was very easy to inject mods, so the code required from my part to allow users to create them easily was like ten lines of code long only. But I consider myself less than an amateur at programming so I'm not trying to be a smartass here, just thinking out loud. My code was extremely basic anyways.

Maybe something that he doesn't consider important for Xpadder could be added in the form of a mod and later adapted by Jonathan if proven useful, saving him the work of doing it himself and testing it. I know I wouldn't really care if I was able to create a mod for the program and he took the idea and adeed it since that would be my long-term goal to begin with. xD But as I said, not trying to tell him what to do. He surely knows better than anybody else what is his plan for the program, so I hope any advice like this doesn't annoy him since is not my intention to tell him how to do his job.

I'm pretty happy with my current setting, and thanks to your suggestion with the timer I've reduced the proportion of set glitches to a very low min. It would be nice if I could get rid of that minimun as well, but it'd be nice as well if I didn't need to bother Jonathan to do so.

Also, I've been thinking about something else. What do you think about a feature that allowed to add hotkeys for Xpadder actions to the keyboard and/or mouse? it would be some sort of counter-Xpadder. For example if there was a keyboard code that allowed to jump to a given set in the same way that clicking on the button does it, we could make stuff like for example an AutoIt application that jumped to set 1 after a while, or add those commands as assignments in Xpadder as well for more customization.

Return to “Other questions”