Ghost input

morgan.garner.1989

Ghost input

Post by morgan.garner.1989 »

Hi,

I'm having a problem with xpadder and a standard Xbox 360 controller with a few games, although for most of the games I've tried, xpadder has worked flawlessly.

The games in question are Rosenkreuzstilette, and Order of Ecclesia (emulated in No$GBA with MyZoom; I do actually own a DS and the cartridge, I just don't find the DS very ergonomic).

Let's consider RKS first. It's a Megaman clone, so the control scheme is simple. I have the four keyboard arrows, which move the character as you'd expect in game, mapped to the D-pad, Z and X (the jump and shoot buttons) mapped to the A and B buttons of the controller, Enter is the Start button, A and S (switch weapons) are LB and RB, and Space is mapped to the Select button. Confirm is set to be Q, mapped to X, and Cancel is set to be W, mapped to Y.
When xpadder is not open, the game works just as you'd expect. However, with xpadder, it's a different story.

Firstly, you can't really move through menus, since the up and down arrow buttons that are normally used won't work properly. With xpadder, at the main menu the up arrow (i.e up button on D-pad) does nothing, and the down arrow moves from the top option to the second option in the list (and the pointer moves back to the top once the down button is released), but won't ever move any further down the list than that, so you're in essence restricted to the first two options. What's meant to happen is pressing the down arrow once moves to the next list entry, pressing the top arrow once moves to the previous list entry, with wrap around (i.e pressing up at the top of the menu moves you to the bottom).

I was able to get around this by using the Z/X buttons (on A and B), which can also be used to move around menus for some reason, and I was able to get to the options screen or start a game, both of which only led to worse trouble. In the options menu, the pointer moves automatically without any input from the controller, and without my having pressed any button on the mouse, keyboard, or controller, so what happens is that the pointer moves from option to option (wrapping around) almost faster than the eye can see, and doing anything is next to impossible.

In game, the character is constantly moving right at all times without any input, as in the options menu. You can go left if you hold the left arrow of the D-pad, but as soon as you let go you're going right again. Jumping and shooting work fine. But the game is unplayable with automatic movement to the right.

I have no idea why the game is registering the move right button when nothing is being pressed (note that the xpadder display itself does *not* register the right movement that can clearly be seen on screen), and I made sure no buttons were being pressed accidentally. My only guess as to what the problem might be is something to do with the fact that RKS has built-in controller support, but it doesn't explain where the ghost input is coming from, and I've had other games with inbuilt controller input work fine.

The situation with Ecclesia is basically the same; at the main menu, the pointer scrolls through the options automatically, and too quickly for me to be able to start a game and see what happens then. I've had a few cases of hypersensitive input with games (i.e, I'd press a button once, and the game would register many presses), but these were at least in response to some input of mine, and corrected themselves once I'd restarted the system. But this is baffling.

I'd love to hear some kind of explanation. I wasn't able to find any other topics that sounded remotely similar. Maybe I overlooked something obvious.

Return to “Other questions”