Simulating analog look in games with digital controls -- is it possible? My idea

galneon

Simulating analog look in games with digital controls -- is it possible? My idea

Post by galneon »

I've been playing old King's Field games lately. The d-pad turns left and right, and moves forward and backward. L1, R1 strafe, and L2, R2 look up and down. The look triggers are digital.

I'm thinking about how this could possibly be modernized to allow analog look (analog movement is not necessary--you move slow enough in these games as it is if anyone else has played them :P). We'll just deal with look up/look down for now. Analog up and analog down would be assigned to the keys with a turbo modifier that ramps up the further the stick is moved in either direction. The turbo speed would have to be worked out by trial and error for maximum smoothness. With the stick tilted just slightly up, the turbo would be slow, and when tilted all the way, much faster, with graduation in between.

Is this possible in Xpadder? I'm guessing not currently. It seems like it certainly could be in the future though, and perhaps today with a combination of tools used with it. Has anyone tried something like this before?

To ask concisely, is it possible to modulate turbo frequency based on analog input?

Return to “Other questions”