XBOX 360 Controller [ Wireless ]

TheDarkerPhantom

XBOX 360 Controller [ Wireless ]

Post by TheDarkerPhantom »

I am having to unplug and replug the wireless receiver because Windows "stops" issuing commands from the controller. The controller does work, I use it all the time with my 360, I am not sure if its a driver issue or not. I have to have the controller on, and then plug the receiver it otherwise, windows will see the control but even the configuration program won't take input.

I want to upgrade to Windows 7 but I can't live without my 360 controller and World of Warcraft.

spen25

Re: XBOX 360 Controller [ Wireless ]

Post by spen25 »

Going to recommend you upgrade your Microsoft Xbox 360 drivers and also try a different USB port. RF intereference? I'm running Win7 and tested my wireless rx and it works.

TheDarkerPhantom

spen25 wrote:Going to recommend you upgrade your Microsoft Xbox 360 drivers and also try a different USB port. RF intereference? I'm running Win7 and tested my wireless rx and it works.
I am using wireless keyboard and mouse, so I suppose it could be RF interference, but never had the problem with Switchblade. I suspect they went about receiving the signal a little differently ( which I can live with a universal product like this ) but having to unplug it ever 5 minutes is annoying.

I am using the current drivers, I reinstalled them and made sure I installed the x64 drivers, I suppose that could also be a difference between Switchblade and Xpadder? I am also getting an error which prevents xpadder from closing completely.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

When you say Windows stops issuing commands from the controller, is this when you start a game or just randomly as you are using the controller? If so then try running Xpadder as administrator by right clicking the Xpadder icon in the notification area/system tray and choose "Close". Next right click the xpadder.exe application file in Explorer and choose "Run as administrator...", click through the dialogs and restart the game.

If this not the case, when the controller quits lets check the controllers raw data. Click the controllers tab in the main Xpadder window to open Xpadders Controller properties window. If the tab back ground is red and area where the sticks and buttons appear is clear then Xpadder is seeing the controller is disconnected. If the properties window opens you should see some graphs that will change as buttons are pressed and sticks move. What happens?

If this window does not open the lets try Windows Game Controllers control panel applet. Does the controller show up in this list? If not then windows sees the controller as not plugged in. If it does appear then double click the controllers entry to open Windows controller proporties. The test tab will show a representation of the sticks movements and button presses. Any problems in this paragraph indicates a driver or hardware problem.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

spen25 wrote:...I am also getting an error which prevents xpadder from closing completely.
If there unsaved changes to the controller file or profile Xpadder will pop up a dialog and prevent itself from closing until the changes are saved or discarded. The controller or profile name box will be yellow to indicate unsaved changes. Also the current (5.7) betas have a range check issue which may prevent Xpadder from closing correctly.

TheDarkerPhantom

SGTCableDog wrote:
spen25 wrote:...I am also getting an error which prevents xpadder from closing completely.
If there unsaved changes to the controller file or profile Xpadder will pop up a dialog and prevent itself from closing until the changes are saved or discarded. The controller or profile name box will be yellow to indicate unsaved changes. Also the current (5.7) betas have a range check issue which may prevent Xpadder from closing correctly.
range check issue is a problem, what is funny I started to use the beta because the program kept doing strange stuff ( i.e. staying in the 2nd set without using the button ).

I am not sure if its windows or the program that loses the signal.

TheDarkerPhantom

When you say Windows stops issuing commands from the controller, is this when you start a game or just randomly as you are using the controller? If so then try running Xpadder as administrator by right clicking the Xpadder icon in the notification area/system tray and choose "Close". Next right click the xpadder.exe application file in Explorer and choose "Run as administrator...", click through the dialogs and restart the game.
I already do this.
If this not the case, when the controller quits lets check the controllers raw data. Click the controllers tab in the main Xpadder window to open Xpadders Controller properties window. If the tab back ground is red and area where the sticks and buttons appear is clear then Xpadder is seeing the controller is disconnected. If the properties window opens you should see some graphs that will change as buttons are pressed and sticks move. What happens?
The next time it does what I describe I will post a screenshot of the raw data. When it does happen xpadder and windows cannot "see" any commands from the control but windows and xpadder know the controller exists. I adjusted my profile to "reset the set to 1" when it gets locked into a certain set randomly ( likely a problem with my default set ).
If this window does not open the lets try Windows Game Controllers control panel applet. Does the controller show up in this list? If not then windows sees the controller as not plugged in. If it does appear then double click the controllers entry to open Windows controller proporties. The test tab will show a representation of the sticks movements and button presses. Any problems in this paragraph indicates a driver or hardware problem.
If I do not turn the controller on, and then plug the wireless receiver it, if the controller connects then no commands work. I am starting to think my powered hub is the problem ( because this problem did happen on my usb headset ) and since moving it to another port the problem with the wireless receiver seems to have gone away.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Ok, with the 5.7 you are getting range check error. You used the betas because of random sets being selected. My guess is you are using nested sets. You hold a button to go to set 2 then hold another button to go to set 3. If you release the first button before the second button you will get stuck in set 2, if you release button 2 before button 1 then all is good. I usually advise to make a Oh S#@% assignment in the other set that will select set 1 one way, use a button like back or start. If you don't move when in the alternate sets you can assign the directions of the stick to select set 1 one way.

TheDarkerPhantom

SGTCableDog wrote:Ok, with the 5.7 you are getting range check error. You used the betas because of random sets being selected. My guess is you are using nested sets. You hold a button to go to set 2 then hold another button to go to set 3. If you release the first button before the second button you will get stuck in set 2, if you release button 2 before button 1 then all is good. I usually advise to make a Oh S#@% assignment in the other set that will select set 1 one way, use a button like back or start. If you don't move when in the alternate sets you can assign the directions of the stick to select set 1 one way.
I already have made that assignement.

As I was multi-tasking ( I should add this didn't happen this morning ) the controller is connected but even windows does not see input ( control panel test ). Is this what you wanted?

Code: Select all

Controller Properties

Details
================
Name
 "Controller (Xbox 360 Wireless Receiver for Windows)"

ID
 045E:02A1

Axes
 5 (X,Y,Z,RX,RY)

Buttons

DPads

Rumble (Force Feedback)
 Rumble via XInput

Xbox 360 Compatible
 Yes (ID 1)

Xbox 360 Type
 GamePad[0] Gamepad 

Xbox 360 Power
 NIMH battery (Power:Medium)

DirectInput
================
Axis X
Axis Y
Axis Z
Axis Rx
Axis Ry
Axis Rz
Slider 1
Slider 2
Button
 [0] 00:0, 01:0, 02:0, 03:0, 04:0, 05:0, 06:0, 07:0, 08:0, 09:0, 10:0, 11:0, 12:0, 13:0, 14:0, 15:0, 16:0, 17:0, 18:0, 19:0, 20:0, 21:0, 22:0, 23:0, 24:0, 25:0, 26:0, 27:0, 28:0, 29:0, 30:0, 31:0
POV
 -1, -1, -1, -1

XInput
================
LThumbX
LThumbY
RThumbX
RThumbY
LTrigger
RTrigger
Button
Power
 NIMH battery (Power:Medium)

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I was commenting on your issue of random sets which may be cause by nested sets in a profile. There is no fix in Xpadder for this, so it may be worthwhile going back to version 5.6 of Xpadder to avoid the range error issue until it is fixed.

TheDarkerPhantom

SGTCableDog wrote:I was commenting on your issue of random sets which may be cause by nested sets in a profile. There is no fix in Xpadder for this, so it may be worthwhile going back to version 5.6 of Xpadder to avoid the range error issue until it is fixed.
It already updated my controller's profile and layout or I would do exactly that.

Return to “Other questions”