[RESOLVED] Dual screen issue?

Taxee

[RESOLVED] Dual screen issue?

Post by Taxee »

I have been playing Word of Warcraft for a while using Xpadder (quad core running Vista with Logitech Wireless Rumblepad 2 and dual screens - 37" and 22"). I work out on a recumbent bike while I play. The second screen is actually extremely useful as I have Xpadder displayed on the second screen which allows me to see the specific profile set I am using. This makes using and moving between multiple sets very user friendly.

Xpadder generally works fine but sporadically Xpadder loses control. When this happens, I simply use the mouse to click on Xpadder, use the mouse to move the cursor back into the WoW screen, hit a button on my gamepad and things are back to working fine. I have been unable to figure out what causes Xpadder to lose control but it hasn't been a big problem.

I recently upgraded to 5.6 when I started to play Mass Effect 2 and have been having some serious issues with Xpadder as I am trying to get the profile working properly. I also downloaded the 5.7 beta to see if the issues would be any better but am still having issues.

Again, the problem seems to be that Xpadder loses control from time to time. This is more of an issue with ME2 than with WoW because I have to alt-tab out of the game and then go back into ME2.

I also had an issue last night where the stick assigned to movement (WASD) would revert to mouse controls. This was very strange as the profile clearly indicated WASD but ME2 was translating it as mouse directional commands. Needless to say this was very frustrating.

I ran out of time last night and will try it again tonight but so far my experience with Xpadder and ME2 has not been particularly positive. Again, i am not sure if this is a dual screen issue but expect it may have something to do with it.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Dual screen issue?

Post by SGTCableDog »

The loss of control issue made actually be a UAC issue if you use Vista or Win7, and having dual screens may be letting you work around this without you knowing. I think this because you have to use the physical mouse to bring Xpadder into focus then it works. Games that use PunkBuster run with elevated priviledges so when they have focus then Windows prevents programs like Xpadder running with standard privledges from inter acting with the game. Try running Xpadder as administrator. You must first fully close Xpadder by clicking on the icon in the notification area/system tray and choose close.

As for the issue with ME2 reverting from WASD and mouse, does ME2 have native controller support? It have unadvertised controller support. Experiment by loading a new blank profile in Xpadder and see if controller works in the game.

Taxee

Post by Taxee »

I have been running Xpadder as administrator for quite a while as I had read elsewhere in the forums that this was recommended. So that isn't the issue.

Based on what I have read, ME2 does not have native controller support. A lot of people have been complaining about this as apparently ME 1 did have native support but this was purposefully left out of ME2.

Having said that I will try using a blank Xpadder profile and see what happens.

Thanks.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

You could also try minimizing Xpadder and see if the problems occur still. If things work fine then we know it's a dual screen issue.

Taxee

Re: [DISCUSSING] Dual screen issue?

Post by Taxee »

I minimized xpadder and I am still experiencing the problem.

It only occurs when I press the key that is emulating the left mouse button and does not occur all the time. However, sporadically (every 5 minutes or so) I will get the equivalent of an alt-tab which will kick me out of the program, minimize the ME2 screen and put the cursor on the second screen. Needless to say this is frustrating in the middle of a game as I have immediately come back into the game only to find my character dead.

This also occurred in WoW although it was not as problematic as the game screen did not disappear and I could quickly move back into the game. With ME2, it is much more problematic. I may be able to make it a tad better by playing ME2 in windowed mode but there is definitely something strange going on.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

This leads me to my second suggestion. Play one of those games in Windowed mode with Xpadder initially running on the main screen also. If possible, disable the second screen so it is completely removed from the equation. Do you get problems still?

Taxee

Post by Taxee »

Sorry that it took me a while but I was on the road for the last couple of weeks and haven't had a chance to test things out. In response to the last post, I can report that

1. Playing ME2 in Windowed mode (dual screen) with Xpadder initially running on the main screen - the error occurs whether Xpadder is running on the main screen or is minimized. It seemed to occur at different occasions than in fullscreen mode, particularly when ME2 was changing screens (e.g. on completion of an "episode").

2. The problem does not occur when the second screen is disabled (i.e. I rebooted with only the main screen plugged in).

So it definitely appears to me that this is a problem that exists with dual screens (which are becoming more and more common).

Thanks again for your help on this.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Some of the problems you mentioned remind me of the old days when assigning Shift and tapping it caused the Sticky Keys window to appear and interrupt everything!
Perhaps your profile has some sort of key combination that does something which Windows is picking up and processing when it shouldn't.

Can you copy and paste the ME2 profile here. Unfortunately I do not have ME2 and a demo is not available but I can test dual-screen scenarios.

Taxee

Post by Taxee »

Something very strange happened tonight while playing - the assignments for the left joystick and the d-pad flipped, i.e. the left joystick assignments moved to the d=pad and the d-pad assignments moved to the left joystick. When looking at xpadder, the assignments were as programmed and not "flipped".

Here is the profile I am using:

Code: Select all

;----------------------
; Xpadder Profile File
;----------------------

Version=5.7

[Profile Settings]

[Set Settings]

[Assignments]
Set1Button1Slots=X
Set1Button2Slots=R
Set1Button3Slots=F
Set1Button4Slots=M
Set1Button5Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set1Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set1Button7Slots=Space
Set1Button8Slots=Left Shift
Set1Button9Slots=Escape
Set1Button10SetSelect=1
Set1Button11Slots=Space
Set1Button12Slots=Space
Set1DPadUpSlots=E
Set1DPadRightSlots=Q
Set1DPadDownSlots=C
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Space,W
Set1DPadUpSlots=M
Set1DPadRightSlots=H
Set1DPadDownSlots=Q
Set1DPadLeftSlots=X
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1RightSlots=D
Set1Stick1RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1DownSlots=S
Set1Stick1DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set1Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1UpSlots=W
Set1Stick1UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick1RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick1DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set1Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set1Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set1Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set1Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set1Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set2Button1Slots=1
Set2Button2Slots=2
Set2Button3Slots=3
Set2Button4Slots=4
Set2Button5Slots=Left Mouse Button (1)
Set2Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set2Button7Slots=Space
Set2Button8Slots=Left Shift
Set2Button9Slots=9
Set2Button10SetSelect=0
Set2Button11Slots=Space
Set2Button12Slots=Left Shift
Set2DPadUpSlots=8
Set2DPadRightSlots=7
Set2DPadDownSlots=6
Set2DPadLeftSlots=5
Set2DPadUpSlots=0
Set2DPadRightSlots=9
Set2DPadDownSlots=8
Set2DPadLeftSlots=7
Set2Stick1UpSlots=W
Set2Stick1UpMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1RightSlots=D
Set2Stick1RightMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1DownSlots=S
Set2Stick1DownMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set2Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1UpSlots=Arrow Up
Set2Stick1UpMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick1RightMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick1DownMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set2Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set2Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set2Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set2Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set2Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set3Button1Slots=Space
Set3Button2Slots=Left Shift
Set3Button3Slots=F
Set3Button4Slots=R
Set3Button6Slots=Right Mouse Button (2)
Set3Button8Slots=Space,W
Set3Button9Slots=Escape
Set3DPadUpSlots=M
Set3DPadRightSlots=E
Set3DPadDownSlots=Q
Set3DPadLeftSlots=C
Set3DPadUpSlots=M
Set3DPadRightSlots=E
Set3DPadDownSlots=Q
Set3DPadLeftSlots=C
Set3Stick1UpSlots=W
Set3Stick1UpMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1RightSlots=D
Set3Stick1RightMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1DownSlots=S
Set3Stick1DownMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1LeftSlots=A
Set3Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1UpSlots=W
Set3Stick1UpMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set3Stick1RightMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set3Stick1DownMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick1LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set3Stick1LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2UpSlots=Mouse Move Up
Set3Stick2UpMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2RightSlots=Mouse Move Right
Set3Stick2RightMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2DownSlots=Mouse Move Down
Set3Stick2DownMouseSpeed=32
Set3Stick2LeftSlots=Mouse Move Left
Set3Stick2LeftMouseSpeed=32

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

The profile seems okay.The flipping problem is strange though. You mentioned before about your WSAD and mouse assignments swapping.
If it happens again can you quickly get back to windows and test Xpadder in Notepad to see if Xpadder has flipped them itself or whether the game has flipped them.
It could be that the game loses Xpadder and resorts to using its own settings, which happen to be the reverse?!
Or maybe the game performs some admin stuff which means Xpadder gets lost?
Something strange is going on but it has something to do with Xpadder dying on you.
If it was the game that we'd have many other reports of problems.
It must be something to do with Xpadder emulating the mouse onto the second desktop and that game in particular cannot cope and gets confused.

Here's an idea! Try using the game as usual using a keyboard and mouse an ignore Xpadder. It could be a problem with ME2 and dual monitors.

EDIT: Check out this

Taxee

Post by Taxee »

I think that I have figured it out. This has to do with the Logitech Rumblepad more than the dual screen.

I was unaware that Logitech installs a profiler but it appears to have been conflicting somewhere when in dual screen mode. I nuked the Logitech profiler and it now appears to be working generally correct, although the mouse seems to be very slow.

I'm still testing it and will let you know how it goes.

Thanks.

Return to “Other questions”