same controller different layouts

ulao

Re: same controller different layouts

Post by ulao »

Sorry about the test, I could not figure out how to register and was planning on editing the post..

So here is the question.

I have two controller identical. I want to assign buttons to the layout independent of each other.
If I set a box like so on one layout ( numbers are joystick buttons )
[1] [3]
[2] [4]

the second layout matches it? I need to rearrange it like so.

[1] [2] [3] [4]

In addition I want to assign all button one one controller to do a set of actions, and the other buttons to do different actions. When I press button 1 on controller one, it is attached to the same box on both controller.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

ulao wrote:Sorry about the test, I could not figure out how to register and was planning on editing the post..
Test post fixed. Details on forum member ship is here.
So here is the question.

I have two controller identical. I want to assign buttons to the layout independent of each other.
If I set a box like so on one layout ( numbers are joystick buttons )
[1] [3]
[2] [4]

the second layout matches it? I need to rearrange it like so.

[1] [2] [3] [4]
The location of the buttons and sticks in the layout is for the user. Xpadder doesn't care where these things are, it will work the same.
In addition I want to assign all button one one controller to do a set of actions, and the other buttons to do different actions. When I press button 1 on controller one, it is attached to the same box on both controller.
I'm not sure what you are asking here. When you press a button on one controller the Xpadder executes the assignments from both controllers profiles? It shouldn't do this as long as you have seperate profiles loaded for each controller. More details please.

ulao

Post by ulao »

Its quite hard to explain. But since I'm the usb developer I just gave the second controller another PID and now it works. Another way of explaining this is if you use two controllers of the same kind, Xpadder does not allow the second to be configure separately. I dont know how else to explain it, but I found a solution for myself, just a big pain...

ulao

Post by ulao »

ok same here.. I just didnt see this the first time

http://xpadder.com/phpBB3.0.5/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=895

ulao

Post by ulao »

Major apologies for doubling posts here, I tried to register but no email was sent..

Going to narrate this ( may miss a step or two)..

I run xpadder, I click new and run through the tabs.
I then get to the main screen and see two controllers
I give them each there own name in the right hand box.
NOTE: I can not change the name in the left hand box, both controller will reflect the change, this does not happen with two controller that are not alike
If I press button 1 down, on controller 1, button 1 will go green on the first controller tab.
If I press button 1 down, on controller 2, button 1 will go green on the second controller tab. So far, so good.
If I move the button one box on the first controller tab, it moves it on the second as well. Its like they are linked..
If I assigned cntrl A to button 1 on the first controller tab it assigns it to the second.

I see in xpadder setting-> controllers that 1 controller is found but is has 2 listed.
(1 controller found 2)

If I change the USB PID I get
1 controller found 1
2 controller found 1

This is what allows them to be configure separately.

If you just pick up two controllers with the same ID you will see what I mean. Hope this helps.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

I'm sure if you have 2 controllers with the same ID, yes your probably going to run into problems. But when you have 2 controllers that are identical alls you need are 2 separate controller layouts and 2 separate game profiles and you should be good to go. They will work independently.

ulao

Post by ulao »

Try it sometime.. It seems as though xpadder is loading the profile based on the ID. So you have no way to choose a second profile.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Why do the controllers have the same ID anyway?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

ulao wrote:... I then get to the main screen and see two controllers
I give them each there own name in the right hand box.
NOTE: I can not change the name in the left hand box, both controller will reflect the change, this does not happen with two controller that are not alike...
I think I see the problem. The left hand name box is the controller layout name. When controller IDs are the same Xpadder and Windows assumes they are the same. I guess you are using an IPAC :?: board to adapt your own arcade controls. Xpadder will load the same layout for both "controllers". Windows should be enumerating them seperately.

The right hand box is the profile name. The profile is the keypresses and mouse movements assigned to the different sticks and button. As long as you have seperated profiles loaded then each controller should be outputing unique assignments. Make sure "Process non-selected controllers" is checked.

ulao

Post by ulao »

They are the same id ( pid ) Every usb device has an id, its the same per device. Xpadder seems to be tracking that. If I have a LogidoHicky and sell it as a usb device I give it a PID. 0c04 and ever time someone installs this device its registered as a 0c04.

I dont know what an IPAC is. I'm a usb developer using a HID. Like every other company in the world my device has an PID. The same problem occurs if I use two logitec joysticks that are the same. It has nothing to do with my device.

That option is already checked. The the profile name, as I stated above, is different. It does not seem to help the issue. If you like, watch this video. I used a profile name of 1 and 2. I go in to profile 1 and move the button, I then go in to 2 and the button is moved? I then move the button in 2, and go back to 1, its again moved..

http://spawnlinux.dyndns.org/DoCz/down_m/temp/1/1.html

Thx for your help. I recommend your software to my customers. I sell quite a few adapters. They love your software, and I agree its the best out there period. So on behalf of us all, we hope you can find a solution.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

In the video you are moving the button in the controller layout. The controller layout is used to let Xpadder know which DirectX (or XInput for Xbox360 compatable controllers) data is represented by each control element of the controller. It also provides a visual reference for the user so they will know which button on the screen represents the same button on the physical controller. If more than one controller with the same ID is connected Xpadder assumes they are the same phyiscally and uses the same layout. That's why when you edit one controllers layout using Xpadders Controller properties window it is also reflected in the other controllers tab. I'm sorry if I'm not to clear.

I thought you might have been using and IPAC card, I think thats what its called, its used by home arcade emulation cabinet makers. It allows them to use actual arcade buttons, sticks, and spinners. It has a number of inputs to hard wire the buttons and uses USB to connect to a computer. Someone could use more than one if they needed more inputs with different physical layouts but would have the same pid.

On the right hand side that you have saved as 1 and 2, this is the profile portion of the interface. The profile is the collection of key press and mouse movement assignments for each of the buttons and sticks of the controller. I saw in the video that you had no assignments for the buttons, so your profiles are empty. If you pressed a button or moved the stick then Xpadder would have no output. You add assignments by clicking on the buttons in the main Xpadder window.

Hope this help clear things up. You have a very interesting controller, is it used for a Atari emulator?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder bases the controller detection on the ID and also the name string as seen in the Windows Game Controllers control panel.
Two controllers that broadcast the same ID and name are identical in Xpadder's eyes. While there are exceptions it is very rare for two different controllers to share the same ID and name and both be owned by the same person.
Each controller can have it's own profile (set of key and mouse assignments) but the button layouts are locked together as they share them.
Forcing controller two to have a different name and/or ID will split this lock.

In Xpadder "profile" refers to the assignments only. The button location layout is called the "controller file". This can cause confusion sometimes.

If you create a controller file (the right hand box) for controller 1 and then create a new controller file for controller 2 then all that happens is the last save you make becomes the controller file for both.

If you can explain a little more about your setup and reasons for needing each controller to have a different button location layout then either I can unlock controller files in a future version or the support officers can come up with a clever way of achieving your desired result with the current version - they have a habit of doing that :D

ulao

Post by ulao »

Well to fix the problem, I used two id's. But I only own one id and like to use it. In this case the device has 2 db9 ports. Each port is responsible for its controller ( atari in this case ). And in addition each port is responsible for switches. The switches (10 in all), are divide up. 5 per controller. Each switch has its own function. So hid button 5 on player 1 need to be different then hid button 5 player 2. I'm not sure why you need to know this? Its just a requests. If you dont feel its worthy of adding an option to allow this, I will make due.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

I always like to improve Xpadder by adding features that may not help everyone but will greatly help one person with a particular setup. You can guarantee it will help someone else in the future too. Plus the request is usually quite technical and I like the challenge :lol:

Your image demonstrates the problem perfectly. I will add unlocking of shared controller files in v5.10 [EDIT: Now added to latest version]
This will allow you to create two different controller files.

ulao

Post by ulao »

Jonathan, Myself and my buys thank you. Looking forward to the new version.

shaun.opp

Post by shaun.opp »

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread but i wasn't able to find info on this anywhere else and Jonathan hasn't answered my personal email. Was this functionality ever added? I am having the same issue with my controllers. I bought 4 retro usb controllers 2 NES and 2 SNES and they are detecting as the same device and thus assigning the same layouts to each other.

shaun.opp

Post by shaun.opp »

Disregard my last post, looks like I had an outdated version. After updating I can assign a different layout. w00t :)

Return to “Other questions”