Tab + Win8

smta.parfitt

Tab + Win8

Post by smta.parfitt »

Just installed Win8 (fresh install), and Xpadder has worked perfectly so far other than the tab key. It doesn't seem to register at all. If I hold down the button mapped to alt (on a 360 pad) and hit the real tab on the keyboard, it will cycle programs just fine, but the tab buttom mapped to the 360 won't do anything at all.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Tab + Win8

Post by Primal Fear »

Open the Xpadder settings (tool symbol in the upper right corner) while you have a profile that has Tab assigned to a button loaded.

Activate under "Options" the entry "Show debug settings" (the last one in the section "Window"), click on the new appearing entry "Debug - Keyboard" on the left side and activated "Test Enabled". Does Tab show up in the list below when you press the button with Tab assigned?

freund.paul

Post by freund.paul »

I am not the original poster, but yes ist does

Code: Select all

?.??s 
0.03s Tab
0.14s 
0.05s Tab
0.11s 
0.06s Tab
And with key codes

?.??s 
0.08s Tab 09(009) 
0.19s 
0.08s Tab 09(009) 
0.29s 
0.12s Tab 09(009) 
0.39s 
0.10s Tab 09(009) 
Doesn't work for me either ( Win8Pro X64, Xbox 360 Wireless Controller )

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Open Notepad and try to use Tab via Xpadder (Xpadder's keyboard test checks for BIOS key signals and Windows itself uses Windows key signals). Does it make the text cursor "jump" or a certain area?

Anatta

Post by Anatta »

I have the same problem. But it is kind of strange. The tab key works
for most things like text or tabbing through items, however Alt-Tab
will not work at all. Alt on controller plus tab on keyboard works fine.
Windows key plus tab on controller also doesn't work. In general, combining
a key with tab on the controller does not seem to work I guess.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Then we have pretty much all data gathered. I suppose that Windows8 handles Alt+Tab now on a special security level, like all versions before already did with Ctrl+Alt+Del too. That means that it needs hardware based keyboard input (or at least input via a virtual keyboard driver) for this key combination.

You can try one thing to test this. Press Windows Key+R, type osk and press Enter. That opens the On-Screen Keyboard of Windows where you can press Alt+Tab by clicking first on Alt (it should get locked) and then on Tab. If it isn't working, it's definitely not intended to do so by Microsoft.
Anatta wrote:Windows key plus tab on controller also doesn't work.
Flip-3D is anyways only working in the Metro surface but not on the dektop in Windows8. Perhaps this program works as a solution for this whole problem.

Anatta

Post by Anatta »

Yes, I know that the metro flip only flips through metro apps. But I
Just tried that to see if the tab key is working in this case, which it is not.
Alt-Tab on the virtual keyboard does indeed work however.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

If it works with the virtual keyboard... :?:
...then try it with this profile (How to download a profile):

;--- Xpadder Profile Data ---
DataType=Profile
Version=2012.12.31
Set1Button1Name=faster
Set1Button1Slots=Alt,HOLD ZONE 0.05s,Alt,Tab,HOLD ZONE 0.05s,Alt
Set1Button1TurboRate=100
Set1Button3Name=slower
Set1Button3Slots=Alt,HOLD ZONE 0.50s,Alt,Tab,HOLD ZONE 0.50s,Alt
Set1DPadRightSlots=Arrow Right
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Arrow Left
Maybe the problem is that Alt and Tab will be pressed exactly at the same time and Windows expects (now) that the modifier key (Alt or Windows key) is already held before pressing tab. The profile contains a faster version holds Alt only 0.05 seconds before pressing tab and the slower version holds Alt 0.50 seconds before pressing tab. You need to hold one of these buttons and to selects the program with the Dpad.

Anatta

Post by Anatta »

The profile you posted doesn't work either. And that can't be the problem because tab on the controller doesn't work for Alt-Tab if alt is pressed on the hardware keyboard beforehand. So alt is clearly already pressed when using tab on the controller.

Very strange ^^

List of combinations:

-Alt on one controller button plus tab on one controller button; not working
-Alt on one controller button plus tab on keyboard; working
-Alt on keyboard plus tab on one controller button; not working
-Tab by itself on one controller button; working
-Alt plus tab both on one controller button; not working
-Alt plus tab on on-screen keyboard; working

Same for windows key for example. As long as Tab is pressed on the controller it only works by itself and not in combination with other keys. It doesn't matter if the other keys are pressed beforehand or are on the same button.

Edit
Played around a little. In programs things like ctrl plus tab do work.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

The On-Screen Keyboard works automatically with administrator rights, maybe it works if you run Xpadder as admin too.

chrism

Post by chrism »

Hey guys,

unfortunatley I cannot add any new info to this issue other than that I'm having the exact same problem in Windows 8 64bit with the Alt+Tab Combo not beeing recognized.

Is there any solution to this yet?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Did you try what I mentioned in the post above yours?

chrism

Post by chrism »

Yes, running it as an administrator has no effect on the problem.

I'm having the exact same problem anatta is describing in the post above yours.

Using the OSK as an "indicator" doesn't work either.
It doesn't pick up the "Tab" command, however it also doesn't pick up other commands that do work in windows such as the "Backspace" Key that I have mapped to another button on my controller.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I have found detailed informations for this issue from a programmer that make a similar tool like Xpadder for mouse input.
http://forums.highrez.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 097&p=5147
Seems like Windows becomes more and more a closed system like Mac/iOS. :roll:

I wonder if the testmode could make it working, if it even exists in Windows8.

To try activating it, press Windows key+R, copy&paste the following phrase,

BCDEDIT -SET TESTSIGNING ON
click on OK and reboot your PC. After that you should see something like "test mode Windows 8" in the lower right of your desktop (I don't know if this is visible in the Metro surface).
If you can activate the test mode but it doesn't help do the same steps again, this time of course with "OFF" instead of "ON", to deactivate the test mode again.

Edit:
chrism wrote:It doesn't pick up the "Tab" command
Actually according to Annata and partially also freund.paul the Alt and the Tab are working individually form each other. Only the combination doesn't work.

nick578

Post by nick578 »

Hi!
I have been using Xpadder on Win 7 without problems. Now on a fresh Win 8.1 the alt+tab combo doesn't work as described by users above. Is there any fix for this by now? Using my gamepad as a "remote control" for my computer was the most important reason to purchase Xpadder and alt+tab is quite important for this scenario. :shifty:

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Errol »

nick578 wrote:Hi!
I have been using Xpadder on Win 7 without problems. Now on a fresh Win 8.1 the alt+tab combo doesn't work as described by users above. Is there any fix for this by now? Using my gamepad as a "remote control" for my computer was the most important reason to purchase Xpadder and alt+tab is quite important for this scenario. :shifty:
On windows 8 or 8.1 Microsoft has now taken the Alt-Tab exclusively for windows. As far as I found out, developers have to purchase some type of signed certificate from Microsoft to get to use the Alt-Tab exclusively. But their is a registry fix to get back the Alt-Tab to function in windows 8 and 8.1. Look at these two website to see how to modify the registry to fix it.

http://www.optimizewindows8.net/2014/02 ... ows-8-8-1/

http://m.kapilarya.com/fix-alttab-menu- ... dows-8-8-1

I personally found a way to do it, it is awkward but it works. You program Xpadder to use the windows task bar shortcut that chooses between active windows (e.g., Winkey + 1 chooses the first application in the task bar). Then you just have to make sure that the windows you want to choose are at the beginning of the task bar, which you can do by dragging the task bar item.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

That looks great an pretty simple actually. I just ordered Windows 8.1 yesterday for my netbook,
thanks for sparing me trying and searching :D.
I will test this as soon as I can install it on my currently unused SSD.

A open OS, as Windows was once, would simply let the user say "I know that program and I trust it, handle it like it would have a code verification and don't bother me again with it". That way I wouldn't even take the "risk" of disabling UAC completely and to only rely on an up to date Anti-Virus a firewall and of course my brain. I mean UAC isn't that wrong (blocking programs from accessing system relevant functions), but it should be more flexible. I suppose it's all about the money or Microsoft really thinks that their users are mindless zombies in front of a PC, but in that case the UAC prompt would be useless too.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Okay, what Smiley has linked didn't work. There was no such registry entry.
But I found out the Alt+Escape respectively Alt+Shift+Escape would work as a replacement. Only disadvantage is that it simply switches through the active windows, so you don't see a interface where you select the window.

Edit: Actually there is still a mayor drawback, it only switches between open windows and ignores minimized ones.

Edit2:Actually it doesn't really ignore minimized ones, it simply doesn't restore them and you only see in the taskbar that they were selected. So if you have configured the taskbar to fadeout, you don't see it all. :roll:

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This works quite good:

DataType=Profile
Version=2013.06.07
Name=AltTab replacement
Set1DPadMode=FourWay
Set1DPadUpName=Restore/Maximize
Set1DPadUpSlots=TAP TIME 0.01s,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Alt,Space,PAUSE 0.01s,W,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s,HOLD ZONE 0.30s,Alt,Space,PAUSE 0.01s,X
Set1DPadRightName=next window
Set1DPadRightSlots=Alt,Escape
Set1DPadDownName=Minimize/Close
Set1DPadDownSlots=TAP TIME 0.01s,RELEASE ZONE 0.01s,Alt,Space,PAUSE 0.01s,N,RELEASE ZONE 0.30s,HOLD ZONE 0.70s,Alt,F4
Set1DPadLeftName=prev. window
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Alt,Left Shift,Escape

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

OK, my first solution also has the disadvantage that it ignore full screen applications (means games), you can get out of one but you cannot get back in.
Windows Key+T is a good alternative, it switches through the applications in the Taskbar. The only slight disadvantage would be that it also lists the pinned applications, even if they are not running.

DataType=Profile
Version=2013.06.07
Name=AltTab replacement 2
Set1DPadUpName=open, start
Set1DPadUpSlots=Enter
Set1DPadRightName=Taskbar->
Set1DPadRightSlots=Windows Logo Left,T
Set1DPadLeftName=<-Taskbar
Set1DPadLeftSlots=Windows Logo Left,Left Shift,T

nick578

Post by nick578 »

Thanks for your efforts! I will try this out eventually and let you know it it worked for me. :ugeek:

Errol
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Errol »

Hello Primal sorry about the misinformation. I also checked it out and you're correct. But it was fixable in previous windows 8 build. It would seem Microsoft did some revisions and no longer available to tweak. But don't despair I found a really cool way to solve it.

If you use this small program, its called VistaSwitcher. This will make Xpadder work with ALT-TAB again as well as making app switching look better.

http://www.ntwind.com/software/vistaswitcher.html

It does work on Windows 8, 8.1 try it out and you'll see.

nick578

Post by nick578 »

A workaround that I can live with is to use Win+T to navigate across the items in the tastbar, then select with Enter.

nick578

Post by nick578 »

Smiley wrote:If you use this small program, its called VistaSwitcher. This will make Xpadder work with ALT-TAB again as well as making app switching look better.

http://www.ntwind.com/software/vistaswitcher.html
Thanks for the tip with VistaSwitcher! I really like it and it works well with my gamepad "desktop" configuration.

geezanansa

Post by geezanansa »

Having trouble with ALT + TAB in win8.1 and xpadder is easily resolved once you know how. This thread has been very useful in providing information for other issues i have been trying to workaround/fix. (i.e. osk appearing not to be working with xpadder)

Updates for win8.1 may have resolved the tab issues listed here as i have not had this specific issue and only recently started trying to make a more useful desktop profile for xpadder.

Primal Fear posted another two or three working solutions for alt + tab not working as expected in another thread without the need for installing third party apps.
Primal Fear wrote:I found a much simpler solution in the AHK forums.
http://www.autohotkey.com/board/topic/8 ... /?p=656501

So for Xpadder you go to "...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch" and copy the WindowSwitcher.lnk (note that the file name will be somewhat translated to your language) to your Desktop or to "...\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs" (or any sub folder there), right click it (the copy)->Properties. There you bind any key combination to launch this file and click OK. Assigning this key combination will now do the same thing as Alt-Tab should do.
Simply copy and paste the Window switcher application shortcut to where suggested and assign ALT + NUMPLUS as keyboard shortcut. ( i had numplus and ctrl assigned to separate controller buttons for zoom as well as alt and esc to separate buttons.)

I also found
Primal Fear wrote:Okay, what Smiley has linked didn't work. There was no such registry entry.
But I found out the Alt+Escape respectively Alt+Shift+Escape would work as a replacement. Only disadvantage is that it simply switches through the active windows, so you don't see a interface where you select the window.

Edit: Actually there is still a mayor drawback, it only switches between open windows and ignores minimized ones.

Edit2:Actually it doesn't really ignore minimized ones, it simply doesn't restore them and you only see in the taskbar that they were selected. So if you have configured the taskbar to fadeout, you don't see it all. :roll:
applicable to using alt + tab using keyboard as well as shortcut assigned to WindowSwitcher application. i.e. you cannot see xpadder window in list if it is minimised to system tray and you have auto hide enebled. ;)

Thx to all for posting here and credit to Primal Fear. :)

P.S. The only other issue hindering a useable desktop profile for me is described in http://xpadder.com/forum4/viewtopic.php ... ows#p21577

Return to “Xpadder not working in Windows”