Problem with screensaver on windows 8

UWLD

Problem with screensaver on windows 8

Post by UWLD »

I'm runnig Xpadder with wireless xbox360 controller and Windows 8 pro. My problem is that when the screesaver is showing on the screen Xpadder with my controller can't stop/get pass the screensaver. I must press a button on a keyboard or use the mice to deactivate the screensaver. Then there's no problem using Xpadder. This is really anoying since it is a gaming/HTPC and I normally don't use keyboard and mice. I'm really confused beacause I didn't have this problem on windows 7. Anyone have a clue what to do?

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Re: Problem with screensaver on windows 8

Post by Jonathan »

I have tested this and can confirm this is a problem.
I set the mouse to the thumbstick and the Escape key to a button.
When previewing a screen saver in Windows 8 both the emulated mouse movement and key emulation interrupted the preview as expected.
But when the real screensaver starts after your set time Xpadder's emulations are ignored.

If it used to work in Windows 7 (can anyone confirm it still does with the latest version of Xpadder?) then I'm guessing this is a security issue. There are certain areas of Windows that Xpadder cannot push keys to and certain key combination it cannot do (Ctrl+Alt+Del). It appears that the screensaver in Windows 8 has been added to this list.

I've now created a subforum for discussion of these emulation problems in Windows and potential fixes.

I have tried running Xpadder as admin, disabling UAC via EnableLUA and both together but the screen saver still ignores Xpadder.
After trying all sorts I discovered that Xpadder can interrupt a Turn Off The Display function in the Power Options :D
Moving the mouse via Xpadder will turn the display back on. Not sure if this is suitable for your needs but its possible workaround.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Jonathan wrote:(can anyone confirm it still does with the latest version of Xpadder?)
Still working for me under Windows7, with UAC disabled.
Although I never used a screensaver since I have a flatscreen, stand-by is the smarter choice.

UWLD

Post by UWLD »

Primal Fear wrote:Still working for me under Windows7, with UAC disabled.
Although I never used a screensaver since I have a flatscreen, stand-by is the smarter choice.
Can I use Xpadder to wake up windows from stand by?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

No, of course not as Xpadder isn't running while your PC is in stanb-by state. I mean the screen.

UWLD

Post by UWLD »

Primal Fear wrote:No, of course not as Xpadder isn't running while your PC is in stanb-by state. I mean the screen.
Well, I didn't think so. I will think about the power options, maybe the best for me right now is to use Turn off display instead. Thanks for answer. Hopefully a solution will come.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

do you mean the lock screen if so it can be disabled
http://www.extremetech.com/computing/14 ... ock-screen

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

That would totally make sense. If Windows goes to the welcome screen when the screen saver gets active, then Xpadder cannot work.

mattdawson75

Post by mattdawson75 »

I have the mouse set to my left thumb stick, it still doesn't wake up my pc from screen saver. Am I doing it wrong?

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Perhaps you have to run Xpadder as admin because of the UAC-issue.

Return to “Xpadder not working in Windows”