Cannot Start :: Resolution too small

RandomClown

Cannot Start :: Resolution too small

Post by RandomClown »

Hai!
I built a new gaming machine that runs on a TV.

The resolution is fixed to 622x467px, no more, no less.
The minimum requirement for Xpadder is 600x480.

I cannot start Xpadder on this computer. [no extra monitors available.. :(]

Jonathan, could you reduce the requirements like 13 or 15 px for people running less that the requirement?
That would help a lot! :D

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Cannot Start :: Resolution too small

Post by mnl1121 »

That is a really small resolution! Is it for some kind of an arcade cabinet? Anyway Jon is away for a few more days so he won't see your request until he comes back. In the meantime you can put it on another computer and set everything up that way. Set Xpadder to start with windows and start minimized. Once you set up the game and controller profiles they will automatically open the next time you start Xpadder. As long as you only need one game profile everything should start fine without you ever needing to actually see Xpadder. If you put Xpadder in its own folder just copy the folder and any files it creates to your computer where you can't run it on.

Hope that can help.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

I didn't know Xpadder had a minimum resolution, and I'm surprised how low it is. Too bad its just outside your needs. You must be using a standard definition TV, do they even make those anymore? :lol: NTSC has 525 lines of resolution with 485(?) lines visible. (The government reads our thoughts via the over scan ;) *puts on tin hat*) Are you using a arcade monitor? Hopefully this can be an easy tweak for Jonathan.

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Yeah I think he mentioned that was Xpadder's minimum rez a long time ago. and I mean a LONG time ago.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

could he bypass the requirement with cmd line instructions?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Xpadders command line options allow to open a profile, start minimized, close Xpadder, or run a shortcut. No error options unless they are undocumented. Maybe it would be a good idea to add new options like bypassing last profile, bypassing the ini file, debug mode, who knows.

RandomClown

Post by RandomClown »

sorry, was on vacation. :D

No, its not an arcade machine.
I made a portable gaming machine.
iNow, Its plugged into my Standard TV.

I will try out your advice about configing on another computer.
<edit>No haz work.. :(
Guess I will just have to wait.</edit>

Thanks

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

Sorry. I guess if Xpadder is set to start minimized it still won't start if the rez of your computer is below the minimum. I'm not sure exactly when Jon will be back, but he should return soon.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Sorry for the delay in replying to this issue.

The resolution has a fixed size to ensure that Ok buttons in the bottom-right corners are always accessible. I also make sure all subwindows fit within this limit (if you run with a low res then the long keyboard assignment window actually shrinks to fit)

If the feature X request is for v6.0 (resizeable window etc) then the Xpadder window can be any size and everything will auto-fit and scale.

I'll see if I can lower the 480 depth for v5.7 - if not I will see what I can do for v5.8.

dapsaille

Post by dapsaille »

i won't ask to put minimum requirement to 320x200 ... no i don't ^^

Really .. i use vnc and put off my old arcade monitor for do that ^^

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

For the latest beta of v5.7 the lowest resolution is now 600x400. All windows and buttons are accessible.

320x200! :shock: The controller image is 512 wide!

Solution=Change your resolution :D Although, that's not really a solution - let's do better :geek:

Ok, there are some options:
1) Vote for Feature X v6.0 - this will have fancy scaling visuals so you can have the window as large or small as you want and everything will auto-fit
2) I add scrollbars to every window so you can scroll around if the resolution is too low
3) I add an "ignore resolution" command line switch - Xpadder will start and you will just have to handle it as best you can - or set it up on a larger monitor first

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

How about a "no gui" startup option. Xpadder is just in "profile emulation" mode. He could make controller layouts and profiles on another computer and copy them to his arcade machine. He could manually load profiles with the tray icon. I think someone that could create a arcade cabinet could edit xpadder.ini to add Autoprofiles.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

That gives me another idea.
Xpadder could only check the resolution if the actually GUI shows. If you start via /m then Xpadder runs as usual. When restoring the window the resolution check will say "Hey, I cannot fit" and give hints or options as I mentioned before.
So instead of Xpadder not running at all at a lower res it will instead only run minimized.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Nice! 8-)

Return to “Error message when starting Xpadder”