Access Violation

Dxvid

Access Violation

Post by Dxvid »

Hello, when I try to run xpadder in Vista 64bit I get the error message - Access violation at address 6F771FB8 in module "HID.DLL". Read of address CDCDCDBD. - and nothing further happens. It looks like xpadder is not being allowed to load the gamepad, a Saitek P480 rumblepad, for some reason? Vista recognises the gamepad in Control Panel.

The same gamepad works fine with xpadder in XP 32bit and Win7 64bit.

Any help would be appreciated.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Access Violation

Post by Primal Fear »

I suppose that the problem isn't the gamepad, but another input device that is causing trouble for Xpadder.

Did you test it under XP and 7 with the same PC as under Vista?
What other input devices (models) do you have connected on your Vista-PC?

Dxvid

Post by Dxvid »

Yes, all on the same PC. I don't have any other input devices connected, except usb receiver for kboard/mouse.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Open the Device Manager (via Start Bar), is there any entry marked with a exclamation or question mark? What entries are under "Input Devices".

Can you start Xpadder without the gamepad connected?

Dxvid

Post by Dxvid »

No exclamation marks and no entry called "Input Devices" in Device Manager. The p480 appears under "Human Interface Devices" as "HID-compliant game controller". In it's Properties it says the device is working properly.

Yes I can load xpadder without the gamepad and get a blank screen with a searching magnifying glass icon and a gamepad icon in the top left corner. When I load with the gamepad I get the same thing except with the error message. If I close the error message I can click on the gamepad icon and it shows the p480 settings window. The searching magnifying glass also shows the p480 settings. So it looks like xpadder is loading the gamepad to this point but is prevented going further by the error message?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

is saitek's profile editor running when this issue happens?

Dxvid

Post by Dxvid »

Thanks Farstrider, problem solved! The p480 can't use the saitek profile editor but I used to use the p3000 and the editor software was still on the computer. Uninstalled it and the p480 is working fine with xpadder. The profile editor loads automatically at startup but I had forgotten about it as it doesn't appear until you use a compatible gamepad. And it looks like the profile editor is incompatible with xpadder.

Thanks also to Primal Fear for your help!

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Strange, I have already used Saitek's SST simultaneously together with Xpadder. :?

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i used to have the P880 it had some stange issues on xp(or vista) so i had to remove it & reinstall. if i remember correctly the virtual cursor driver for it had to be uninstalled aswell

Dxvid

Post by Dxvid »

Xpadder worked with the SST for several months then stopped about 6 months ago after, I think, a windows update. Didn't take a lot of notice at the time as I wasn't playing games on Vista at that point.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

could be the issue but ms hasnt really done much with directinput/hid in years but yet they still require their use for keyboards & mice. all depends on how long since vista's install date sometimes you just need a fresh install of windows

Return to “Error message while using Xpadder”