Ps3 6axis/microsoft 360 controller ( forced driver software on usb port )

snugjebus

Ps3 6axis/microsoft 360 controller ( forced driver software on usb port )

Post by snugjebus »

So i originally had a cheap little Radioshack controller Giga Ware, and after only using it for about a month I had to replace it. Tried a ps3 controller which windows did not recognize. I searched and searched and searched online and finally came across a .dl wrapper file that tricks windows into thinking the PS3 controller is a 360 controller. I have used a ps3 controller for months as an xbox controller and did not have one problem with 360 controller supported games everything was fine. I just downloaded Ghost Recon Phantoms and it has absolutely no game pad support at all do I decided to use Xpadder. I set up the layout, assigned game function keys to the buttons works fine however only one button would not register in Xpadder which was the "Home Key" or the little playstation button in the center of the controller that turns it on and off when I hit it to try and add it as a button I get a little microsoft xbox type pop up at the bottom of my screen but Xpadder doesnt register the button at all, how should I classify this controller and what should I do about the home button? Should I put it as an Xbox or PSX controller? ( controller is plugged in a USB port on my pc at all times. There is a way to force a bluetooth driver but I need a separate Bluetooth dongle which I havent gotten around to getting but the controller functions 100% as a 360 controller and works perfectly ) also ran into OS error but im sure it was because I had a game open while creating a controller profile for Phantoms.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Ps3 6axis/microsoft 360 controller ( forced driver software on usb port )

Post by Primal Fear »

The Guide button is not part of the Xinput standard and normally reserved for Windows Live. If you want to utilize it you basically need something like a hack, as there is no official way to read it's input.
snugjebus wrote:also ran into OS error but im sure it was because I had a game open while creating a controller profile for Phantoms.
It shouldn't be any problem to have a game running in background while creating a profile. But some games react really huffy, if you Alt-tab out of them.

Another user has posted a link to a small tool that is just for binding keys to the guide button.
viewtopic.php?f=176&t=5006#p20477
Note that I didn't test it myself. Also you would need to uninstal the driver tool that appears when you press the guide button, otherwise it would show up every time you press the button.

Of course it would be better if Jonathan could directly implement such a hack into Xpadder, with a GUI and the AutoProfile feature.

galneon

Re: Ps3 6axis/microsoft 360 controller ( forced driver software on usb port )

Post by galneon »

There are a number of ugly solutions like the one in the thread you've linked to. I'm guessing a truly elegant solution (wherein the guide button is detected as a standard HID button in the control panel) would require an altered X360 driver.

However, I've heard elsewhere that Pinnacle now has just that without requiring a hacked driver..? I don't own it so I can't verify, but does anyone know if it's true? The guide button (or PS button as I use an xinput wrapper as well) as-is is completely worthless to me and I'd love to assign it directly to profile switching in Xpadder.

Return to “Error message while using Xpadder”