Un-needed Installation Instructions ???

gderry

Un-needed Installation Instructions ???

Post by gderry »

I have Windows XP.
Logitech Dual Action USB.
I've had Xpadder installed before. And loved it.
When following SGTCableDog's Xpadder for Dummies Guide. I get the installation instructions. A. Getting Started. #3. Installing Xpadder. I get these instructions every time I restart my computer. Is there a way to just use it, without getting these instructions? Everytime, I have to go through these instructions, Re-Load my Gamepad, Re-Load my saved profile. When I used it before. I could just re-start my computer, and none of this. It was going. Just started playing.
I'm not very Computer Literate. So if something that needs checked in a box, or unchecked. PLEASE let me know. I have start automaticaly with windows, use last profile checked. I have done the pictures. Saved my profile. Its in My Computer.I'm unknowledgeable on how to do pictures. BUT if you'd look in :
SGTCableDog's Xpadder for Dummies Guide
A. Getting Started
3. Installing Xpadder
I get these installation instructions everytime I re-start my computer.How can I just start useing program without getting these instructions? I know I can. But when I updated from v2010.11.17, where everything was working fine. To v2011.06.24 where there is no in-program help descriptions. I just do not want the instructions described above to appear everytime I restart my Computer.
This computer is used just to entertain this real life disabled person.
PLEASE Help,
Greg
Last edited by gderry on 29 Jul 2011, 08:49, edited 1 time in total.

gderry

Re: Un-needed Installation Instructions

Post by gderry »

OK. Everytime I restart my computer, I get this Conformatin window, which leads to this un-wanted installation process. I have checked in Xpadder Settings:
START
Start with windows
Start minimized
Open last used profile
RUNNING
Show controller button animations
WINDOW
Minimize when closing main window
Remember window positions
Return to set 1 after minimize/restore
The rest are unchecked. This is diferent from defaults, of corse.
DEFAULTS these I get everytime I restart my computer
WINDOW
Start with windows: un-checked
Start minimized: un-checked
Open last used profile: both same checked
RUNNING
Use XInput: checked, mine un-checked
Show Controller button animations: both checked
Process non-selected controller: checked, mine un-checked
Automatically detect new controller: checked, mine unchecked
WINDOW
Minimize when closing main window: both checked
Remember window positions: both checked
Allow multi-monitor window positions: checked, mine un-checked
Return to set 1 after minimize/restore: both checked
Show bug settings: both un-checked
TASKBAR
Show taskbar button when minimized: both un-checked
Show icon in notification area: checked, mine un-checked
I have to reset these configurations everytime I re-start my computer. Does this "Conformation" window have something to do with it? If so, how do I by-pass it? I want to not get these windows. Just start playing.
PLEASE HELP,
Greg

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

have you save your controller configuration & where did you save xpadder to?

gderry

Post by gderry »

Yes, I've done everything very basic. My LogitechDualAction USB and All my profiles are located in "My Documents"
Push START
Point to My Documents
Logitech Dual Action USB there
Xpadder there
EverQuest II ,my titled profile is there.
Oh it works once I go through installation process string. But once I turn off CPU then restart. I have to go through installation process. Then re-select my LogitechDualActionUSB. And also re-select my EverQuest II profile.
TYVM for reply,
Greg

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Un-needed Installation Instructions ???

Post by Primal Fear »

Check if your Xpadder.ini (should be in the same folder as the Xpadder.exe, otherwise it's missing) or the the folder that contains theses files is write protected.

gderry

Post by gderry »

OK. I'm not sure the diference between file names. BUT, I put all Xpadder folders into a new folder, just in my C:/ drive. Still have same results. Is it something on my computer, not the program that needs to change ?
I made a .ini file put in folder with profile, but had same result. I'm going to delete all, and try again.
Thx for responce,
Greg

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

Remember, once you’ve installed Xpadder, then don’t Rename, change folders, change drives or anything like that.

If you have a problem, then throw your Xpadder.ini file away (Delete) and start again.

gderry

Post by gderry »

Like I said before sir. I did everything basic,renamed nothing.

Reboot
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Reboot »

gderry, I have 1 Folder, and I call that Xpader, It’s in that folder that I installed Xpader, I have everything that is anything to do with Xpadder in that very same folder,

If you think about it ?

Have you installed to just one, specifically named folder?
Have you thrown out your INI and started again ?
When installing, “Default save and open location” always say, “Program Location”

gderry

Post by gderry »

Yes, downloaded and saved in NEW folder v2011.06.24 folder in My documents. Since its in My Documents. Everytime I try to remove the "read-only" or write protect. I can change, BUT as soon as I re-open then check properties. Its selected read-only. After I just changed it.
So should I install it into my NEW folder v2011.26.24?
It is downloaded into NEW folder v2011.06.24. This is in C:\Documents and Settings\Greg.GAMING-AF3CAB53\My Documents
BUT when I try to un-select "Read-only" it always returns to checked.
I have not installed yet. Just downloaded

gderry

Post by gderry »

Well, I did all of the above. All in same folder in My Documents. Still get same result. I guess I'll just have to re-load everything, Logitech, Profile if I want to continue useing it. One thing is that its alot easier for me, a 1fingered typist, to use Xpadder. Just have to accept bad with the good.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

sounds like it could be a file system permissions issue with xp which can eventually get out of control(had issue like that with vista H P)

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

gderry wrote: C:\Documents and Settings\Greg.GAMING-AF3CAB53\My Documents
I find this interesting. Have you reinstalled XP and copied your user folder to the new installation? The part after the period would appear to be the computers host name. User folders are usually just the account name ie. Greg. When you copied the Xpadder files you probibly got a bunch of warnings that you don't have access to the destination folder or something like that. The install screens show because the .ini file isn't being saved because it does not have permission to write to the folder.

If this is the case you can try editing the security settings for the folder. In Explorer right click the C:\Documents and Settings\Greg.GAMING-AF3CAB53\My Documents (or select the Greg.GAMING-AF3CAB53 parent) and open the properties. There should be a security tab, if you are logged in with an administrator account you should be able to click on the Advanced button. You will now want to change permissions for your user account to have full access for this and its subfolders. I'm not positive on the procedures for XP as my XP machine isn't currently working and I have no motivation to try to fix it. :|

gderry

Post by gderry »

Well, I started in Safe Mode as administrator. Un-checked the Read-Only file. When I re-started I got the same un-wanted Installation process. When I checked the Xpadder profile properties. The Profile properties Read-Only was checked again, after I un-checked it in Safe Mode as Administarator. Go Figure.
TYVM for reply,
Greg

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Try to remove the write protection with this tool.

gderry

Post by gderry »

Thank You ALL for your replies. But I finally have it fixed. My brother bought me new nVidea 560 graphics card and windows 7 operating system. One thing I say to All get windows7. Get rid of XP, its way out-dated. Yes it'll still take you a`bit to understand things. BUT after a few hours re-learning. Its just like XP, but different ways to get to where you wanna go.
Thanx Again for replies,
Greg

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, I can confirm that.
I had some games (allegedly compatible to XP) that didn't work correctly under WindowsXP, no matter what I tried. After switching to Windows7 these games worked without any problems. And I had many problems with DotNet Framework. Windows7 is also supposed to be much safer than XP.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

its fine to use aside from the annoying video driver errors introduced starting with vista

Return to “Xpadder keeps installing/forgetting settings”