Controller questions

Want to know if your Windows version, controller or game works with Xpadder before buying?
Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Controller questions

Post by Jonathan »

Does Xpadder work with my controller?
Xpadder works with all game controllers (gamepads, joysticks, arcade sticks, steering wheels, dance mats, drum kits, guitars, flight and mech hardware, buzzers...)
If your controller is designed for a games consoles or for PC games then Xpadder will work with it.
However, before Xpadder can communicate with your controller you need to have installed driver software for it. A driver allows Windows to see your controller and it is how joystick-enabled games and Xpadder can read the controller. The driver is usually on the CD that came with your controller. You can also download the driver from the manufacturer's website.
If your controller is not USB then you need an adaptor to convert your controller's connection to USB. The adaptor will be supplied with a driver so that Windows will recognise your controller.

How can I test to see if my controller driver is installed?
Text/Images: Show

Windows 7:
- Click the Start button
- Type "game controllers"
- Select "Set up USB game controllers"
- If your controller is listed there then it should work with Xpadder

Windows Vista:
- Click the Start button
- Click the Control Panel option on the right of the start menu
- Click the "Hardware and Sound" option (ignore this step if you are using the Classic View of Control Panel)
- Scroll down and select the "Game Controllers" option

Windows XP:
- Click the Start button
- Click the Control Panel option on the right of the start menu
- Click the "Printers and Other Hardware" option (ignore this step if you are using the Classic View of Control Panel)
- Scroll down and select the "Game Controllers" option
My controller does not appear in the Game Controllers Control Panel! What can I do?
You need to install drivers so that Windows and Xpadder can read your controller. Have a look at here for more help with drivers

If there is no driver available will Xpadder support it?
No. Xpadder is completely dependant on a controller driver. If the Windows Game Controllers Control Panel cannot see your controller then neither can Xpadder or any other program.

If a driver does become available in the future will Xpadder support it?
Yes and if there are features of the driver that Xpadder does not support by default I will try my best to add them.

Will you (the Xpadder programmer) write a driver for my controller (Wii,PS3,Chatpad,insert unsupported controller here)?
No. I'm busy with Xpadder!

Can Xpadder remap axes or alter buttons numbers?
No, Xpadder can only read current axes and buttons and simulate keypresses and mouse actions for them. Xpadder cannot change how Windows or games will see your controller.

Can Xpadder handle more than one controller at the same time?
Xpadder can handle 16 controllers at the same time.
They can all have their own key assignments so you can have multiplayer gaming without all crowding round the keyboard.
They can either all be different controllers, all be the same controller or some the same and some different!

I have an Xbox 360 controller question?
Text/Images: Show
Will Xpadder work with the wireless controller?
Yes but you first need to buy the "Wireless Gaming Receiver for Windows". This allows Windows to see the wireless controller.
The "Play and Charge" cable only supplies power to the controller - it does not allow Windows to communicate with the controller.

Can Xpadder read the guide button (the big X button)?
Only if the driver allows it to. The official driver does not but the unofficial XBCD driver does.

Will Xpadder play nicely games that already use an Xbox 360 controller?
No there will be no issues. Just make sure Xpadder isn't running when playing games that don't require it.

Does Xpadder support the Chatpad/Messenger Kit?
There was a time when no chatpad driver existed. By the time you read this things may be different! See the Driver forum for the latest info

Can Xpadder read the triggers independently?
Yes
Does Xpadder support PS3 and Wii controllers?
If a suitable driver is installed. See here for more info

My question is not here! Help?
You can email me here

Gearu

Re: Controller questions

Post by Gearu »

Help! I have a Namco JogCon and cannot get it to work properly, I have tried almost everything.
It does that 'thing' that may be common for controllers to do (I've heard of a few other input devices doing it), where it always wants to go UP and LEFT at the same time all by itself, whether it's a menu option or moving a character or car in a game.
It is recognized in control panel/game controllers (and I can't seem to successfully calibrate it) and I can get it to work normally by conning the PC into thinking it's a normal digital ps1 controller, but there's no real point in using it like that.
I've scoured the internet to no avail

N/a

Post by N/a »

is that the guncon if so does not work with anything passed old rear projection tvs no lcd support

Gearu

Post by Gearu »

JogCon is a controller with a dial wheel on it, used for driving, it has force feedback too.

I have managed to get it to work with a certain driving game (force feedback not functioning, which I don't mind), but only because it has a setting where I was able to clear/center the wheel while choosing it as the left/right steering input (function was Y-axis), if I press the analog button or unplug it I have to re-enter it as the input again (Not that I do that, I just thought that info might help)

Funny, with this game I have to turn the dial wheel so that it's concave thumb divet is on the bottom (after setting is as the input while it was at the top) in order for the wheel to be upright onscreen.

Post by Guest »

The problem I have is that some of my games specify what 'input device' is used in the game- keyboard, mouse or wheel (or joystick, etc). Would Xpadder be able to input functions from a non-selected device? Example- could I use my racing wheel, but also program an XBOX controller for additional inputs during the game? Or would the game refuse to accept the XBOX inputs because it isn't 'selected' as the input device. Or does Xpadder allow additional controllers to be seen as a 'keyboard'??

Another issue I've had, is that I've tried using a keyboard macro program (for multiple keyboard use) with a couple of my games- but it would not accept the macro assignments because the program controlling the macro was operating outside of the game. This question may tie in to my main question- as my fear is that if the XBOX controller isn't selected as the input device within the game- then it may not recognize any of the key presses assigned through Xpadder.

Please advise.
Thank you.

P.S. One of the main reasons I want to use Xpadder is because the DCS A-10 game I want to get has a TON of keyboard combinations- and being able to program many of them to an XBOX controller would be very beneficial. However, I'd need the joystick, throttle, AND the XBOX controller recognized and usable within the game.

Kloreep
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Kloreep »

Guest wrote:The problem I have is that some of my games specify what 'input device' is used in the game- keyboard, mouse or wheel (or joystick, etc). Would Xpadder be able to input functions from a non-selected device? Example- could I use my racing wheel, but also program an XBOX controller for additional inputs during the game? Or would the game refuse to accept the XBOX inputs because it isn't 'selected' as the input device. Or does Xpadder allow additional controllers to be seen as a 'keyboard'??
That last thing, basically. Xpadder has no need to interface with other programs (and indeed, cannot). To the rest of the programs running on your system, Xpadder's inputs are the same as if you press the keys yourself.

The only potential limitation I see here is that since Xpadder does, indeed, emulate keypresses, the game must accept input from the keyboard. Anything that stops the game from accepting keyboard input (e.g. the game will only accept input from either the wheel or the keyboard, not both at once) will also prevent the game from accepting Xpadder input.

Post by Guest »

That was basically my question, whether Xpadder is a form of keyboard emulation for a controller. All of my games accept both joystick AND keyboard input- but not multiple 'controllers'- such as you can't use both a joystick AND wheel. However, from your response, it appears that I could program my XBOX controller to emulate keyboard presses- which is exactly what I'm looking for. The A-10 game has so many keyboard inputs- I wanted an easier solution than fumbling over a regular keyboard.

Degi3000

Post by Degi3000 »

I have a XBOX 360 Controller for Windows and I wanna play FarCry 2 with it. The game already supports the controller but I don't like the configuration, so I made my own with Xpadder.
The problem is, that i can't deactivate the controller ingame and now both configurations are running. Example: The game configurates the "B" Button for knifing and Xpadder for crouching. When I press "B" i crouch and take out my knife -.-

Do you know how I can hide the controller from my PC so it thinks there is nothing connected but Xpadder still knows?
(If there are grammar mistakes -> I'm from Austria. :D)

Degi3000

Post by Degi3000 »

Sorry, haven't seen that I'm in the wrong thread. :/
Could you please move it?

Post by Guest »

Can you use Xpadder to 'partially' control a device- such as programming the buttons but not the axis functions?
Specifically, can I use Xpadder to program the buttons on my flight stick, but not program the axis'- so the game can control the various axis functions as normal, while Xpadder controls the button programming?
Thanks.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Guest wrote:Can you use Xpadder to 'partially' control a device- such as programming the buttons but not the axis functions?
Specifically, can I use Xpadder to program the buttons on my flight stick, but not program the axis'- so the game can control the various axis functions as normal, while Xpadder controls the button programming?
Thanks.
Principally yes, but there two conditions for that.
  • A: The game must be able to handle gamepad and keyboard/mouse input at the same time.
    B: It has to be possible to unmap these gamepad buttons in the game.
On the side of Xpadder there will be no problems with this.

Post by Guest »

The game supports joystick/throttle, mouse and keyboard input. The problem I'm having with this flight sim game, is that unless you have the specific flight stick system which the game is profiled for- you spend most of your time trying to fly while pushing multiple key combinations on the keyboard. So I wanted to know if I could use Xpadder to put many of these key combinations onto the joystick & throttle buttons. Currently I can map singular functions to the joystick & throttle buttons within the game- but not multiple sets for each button- which is what I felt Xpadder would be useful for.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Yes, Xpadder can do this with the Set feature. Also it it possible to assign buttons to trigger different key presses depending if you only tap it or if you hold it.
And you can assign different keys depending on if you press the button the first time, the second time, maybe the third time and so on with the Cycle Stops.

Post by Guest »

One more question... concerning the use of racing wheel pedals as rudders on flight sim games. The biggest problem with using racing pedals is that the throttle and brake are two separate axis- while the rudder on flight sims is a single axis; yet- flight sims also allow you to control the rudders from two different keyboard keys. So I'm thinking that Xpadder could be used to turn the brake and throttle into 'buttons' that could be used to input those keyboard keystrokes to control the flight sim rudders... is that correct?
Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Post by Guest »

Guest wrote:One more question... concerning the use of racing wheel pedals as rudders on flight sim games. The biggest problem with using racing pedals is that the throttle and brake are two separate axis- while the rudder on flight sims is a single axis; yet- flight sims also allow you to control the rudders from two different keyboard keys. So I'm thinking that Xpadder could be used to turn the brake and throttle into 'buttons' that could be used to input those keyboard keystrokes to control the flight sim rudders... is that correct?
To answer my own question... I configured my throttle and clutch as 'right trigger' and 'left trigger'- then assigned keyboard keys X and Z to them- and started one of my flight sim games and it worked perfectly. My throttle became rudder right and clutch as rudder left. :mrgreen:

hananargov

Post by hananargov »

Hi,

i've tried to insert my 360 wireless (i've bought it with the wireless receiver), but although i'm seeing the controller, the xpadder doesn't detect any of the analogue/D-pad/buttons.

i'm using - Vista SP1 x86

can you help me please?

12/26/2010 - ok, ive figured out that the xpadder was trying to detect my nostromo n52 as a controller. i've changed the controller, and it works :)

Post by Guest »

Is there any way to get more then one D-pad switch on an Xpadder device profile? I have a new Warthog HOTAS system- and have some buttons that are only recognized as D-pads. If there is no way to add more than one D-pad currently- is this something that can be built into the Xpadder software? Granted, I'm sure between a game's setup and Xpadder, I can configure the other buttons- but it would be nice to be able to add as many 'switches' as the controller has from inside Xpadder, whether it be multiple sticks,d-pads or triggers.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Xpadder is currently limited to one Dpad but unlimited Dpads/sticks has been suggested and may be included in the future.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

This is a hell of a joystick. :shock:

For my Joystick it is possible to let detect the Coolie Hat as Dpad as well as as 4 buttons. But on the other hand, it doesn't work like that with my Xbox360pad. I guess the still unreleased Trial Version of Xpadder would be really useful for you. You should keep an eye open for the release.

dk

Post by dk »

I have a PS2 controller that shows up in game controllers on Windows 7, but Xpadder doesn't detect any of the buttons. I know it works because I can use it with games.

Awake

Post by Awake »

Would Xpadder regognize a wireless presenter that is usually use for powerpoint presentations ?
I would like to use the wireless presenter to activate macros just for general computer use.

This a example of a wireless prsenter: http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-33373- ... 72&sr=1-14

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

I would say that this really unlikely. The presenter would have to be detected as a controller, but I guess it will only interact with it's own software or maybe powerpoint self.

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

primal is right unless the manufacture adds an option for general use then it wont work. i found one thats a wireless mouse presenter combonation it might work since it uses ms's intelipoint software. its worth a try
http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/Prese ... px?pid=085

donaldgordon82

Post by donaldgordon82 »

where can i download all the images for the controller.

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Controller images can be found in the Controller Images forum.

Bode

Post by Bode »

So, I'm totally new to the whole using controllers w/PC games thing, so forgive me if I sound like a moron. I've got a couple of questions.
1 - If I use XPadder, it will not affect how I control anything but my games, right? If I unplug my controller once I finish playing, I go back to using mouse and keyboard as normal when I'm just on the desktop or using Internet Explorer or somthing, correct?
2 - The biggest problem that I have is that I can't get Oblivion (I know, I'm only just NOW playing that on PC) to recognize my triggers. Will XPadder fix that?
3 - I've seen lots of people post that they have alot of trouble controlling their character's movement with the analog sticks. Will XPadder fix that?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

1. Xpadder doesn't even affect your games. It only interacts with Windows by taking controller input (from DirectInput or Xinput) and sends emulated keypresses and mouse movements back to Windows. You can create profiles (groups of controller assignments) any program or create a blank profile that won't do anything. Xpadder will silently sit in the system tray waiting.

2. We have some expert Oblivion users that can help. There are topics in the forums describing how to get Xpadder working with this game.

3. Depends on the game and the player. Since Xpadder is limited to sending keypress and mouse movement, game developers can add better native controller support, we have to use tricks to get that level of support. Xpadder has advanced assignment options that can help.

Return to “Reviews, Info and Questions before buying”