Typing with xpadder.

Alton

Typing with xpadder.

Post by Alton »

Hello I was wondering if I could type with xpadder. Like full on typing. Ive looked everywhere for a program that could do this with my wireless xbox controller but have found no luck. I am going to be purchasing a 32 in screen next week and mount it in my room. I want to be able to do everything from my controller. Everything.
Ive looked into a program called twostick and I want to know if it is possible to replicate this with xpadder. Any help is appreciated.

Heres the program http://www.twostick.org/

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Typing with xpadder.

Post by FARSTRIDER »

xp,vista, & 7 have a virtual keyboard which when the mouse cursor is assigned to 1 of the xbox controller's control sticks in xpadder alows for it to select keys or you can set xpadder to use the keyboard arrow keys to select the letters

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Wow, that's a pretty cool system. There it is really easy to remember where every key is assigned.

OK, you cannot do it directly like this TwoStick thing with Xpadder. There would be one problem, Xpadder has one set to less.
But it is possible, to make an complete mouse and almost complete keyboard (print and pause key does not work) out of your gamepad, with Xpadder. I already made a profile for this, you can download in the buyers area after purchasing Xpadder. It works with one stick and the four colored buttons for typing.
My profile is not that easy to remember I think, but if you work a certain time with it it will be no problem anymore. You can use a free program like powermenu to hold the Xpadders main window on top all the time, so that you can see what you will type. You can also make your own typing system with Xpadder, or modify mine to your wishes.
Would be another solution then FARSTRIDERs, so you can decide what you like to use.

This TwoStick gives me the idea to make such an sketch for my profile too. This would make this window topper thing unnecessary, and it would be enough to print this sketch. Let's see, if I will get something proper. :mrgreen:

Edit: Sketches are done. For German and UK layout at the moment. :D

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

Thanks for sharing this information. It seems to be a very efficient means of text entry. Like Primal Fear said, Xpadder has everything to do this but would require nine sets of which Xpadder currently has eight sets available for use. In the past Jonathan has hinted at (virtually) unlimited sets. This should be easy to add. Buyers of Xpadder can suggest and vote for FeatureX ( and now FeatureY and Z), the next big addition to Xpadder.

Alton

Post by Alton »

Thanks guys. I Tried it on my friends computer. I spent like two hours last night trying to do it. I think I might have a way.

My first attempt I left out the blank spaces (I didnt leave any like 2stick did.) I tried to set it up where If you hold the left stick to the top right youll select set 2. then from there you select the letter with the right stick. That didnt work. I couldnt get the letters to type one at a time. I kept coming up with aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa. so I figured that if i pushed (not hold) the left stick to the top left then itd select set 2. I could then enter the letter in and hit something like left trigger to go back to set one where i could select another set. Stuff like the a button would be space and the b button would be backspace. I did this with 5 sets. I got all the letters of the alphabet.
So with my system to type "hello, How are you?" i would first hit the left stick to the top left( select set 2), then right stick to the bottom(H), followed by clicking the right stick in (E), then I hit left trigger (select set 1), then i hit left stick up (select set 3), followed by right stick to the top right (L), again right stick to top right (L) Then right stick left (O). I hit left trigger (select set 1), followed by pushing left stick to the left( select set 5) then hit right stick top left (,) followed by the A button (space). and so on.

Now obviously there can be some tweaking done to make it better like maybe use d pad as backspace, comma, period, question mark, and so on. Other buttons can also be used.
Or possibly change it to where both sticks would do letters; so the left stick will select the set and then you type with both sticks the hit left trigger to go to set one again. Im not sure. But its gonna take alot of testing and planning. But im up for it. This is the main reason why im considering xpadder. I have this dream where I can walk in my room turn on my computer, grab my controller, turn on my mounted 32 in screen monitor and do anything/everything without a keyboard or a mouse ( if there were only chatpad drivers this would be a little more attainable. ugh) Ill test it some more on my friend's pc.

Primal Fear
Xpadder Xpert

Post by Primal Fear »

Alton wrote:But its gonna take alot of testing and planning. But im up for it. This is the main reason why im considering xpadder.
You don't have to do all that work, I already did it.
I have already made a good working system with all the trimmings that Xpadder has to offer. I have used all eight sets, and something we call "Tap and Hold". There is also the mouse assigned on the left stick with my profile.
You just need to download my profile here in the forum, after purchasing Xpadder.

Xaith

Post by Xaith »

Hello I would just like to add That I have a GlovePIE->PPJoy script used in conjunction with Xpadder that allows me to have 16 sets for one controller, because t considders it to be two controllers(the actual controller and the PPjoy fake one). Plus i get unique uses that have been added to Xpadder since it was free because I scripted them in GlovePIE (i have overlaping and individual analogue zones for triggers and for Thumbsticks).

YoJembo
Xpadder Xpert

Post by YoJembo »

Xaith wrote:Hello I would just like to add That I have a GlovePIE->PPJoy script used in conjunction with Xpadder that allows me to have 16 sets for one controller, because t considders it to be two controllers(the actual controller and the PPjoy fake one). Plus i get unique uses that have been added to Xpadder since it was free because I scripted them in GlovePIE (i have overlaping and individual analogue zones for triggers and for Thumbsticks).
This is interesting. :geek:

YoJembo
Xpadder Xpert

Post by YoJembo »

@ Alton

Or you could get this, which apart from the odd little hiccup is effen magic :keen: :

Or this:

FARSTRIDER
Xpadder Xpert

Post by FARSTRIDER »

i seen a wireless(rf) keyboard the other day that had a touchpad aswell could have had bluetooth for what it was worth but who can complain.

Return to “More questions”