Is this legal etc.

FullofQs

Is this legal etc.

Post by FullofQs »

Hi,

I was wondering if this there would be any legal problems if I use the licensed xpadder (or package it for distribution) in some application that I create?

Would this in anyway attract legal action from the OEM creating the controllers or gaming systems?

E.g. if I use it to make the M$ controller work with my PC app / game, would this be an improper use of the controller? Will there be any issues with the OEM's later?

TIA

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Re: Is this legal etc.

Post by SGTCableDog »

I'm not a lawyer but I will speak as if I know what I'm talking about. 8-)
FullofQs wrote:I was wondering if this there would be any legal problems if I use the licensed xpadder (or package it for distribution) in some application that I create?
You can use your licensed copy of Xpadder with an application you create for personal use. You must contact Jonathan if you wish to include Xpadder with your application. If your application does something illegal, it does so without Xpadder as an accomplice.
FullofQs wrote:Would this in anyway attract legal action from the OEM creating the controllers or gaming systems?
I don't see why it would. As long as you don't use it outside of its user agreement (who reads these anyway). You buy a controller, load its driver on to the computer. It provides DirectX or XInput data to Windows. These data can be used by any program that supports this method of input. Xpadder read DirectX and XInput from Windows, it doesn't bypass any Windows APIs, it uses Windows standard. Xpadder doesn't even try to fool Windows in thinking its a hardware device.
FullofQs wrote:E.g. if I use it to make the M$ controller work with my PC app / game, would this be an improper use of the controller? Will there be any issues with the OEM's later?
Xpadder is a keyboard and mouse emulator. If game/app allows keyboard or mouse input it shouldn't be an issue unless the user agreement forbids it. Again, Xpadder uses standard Windows calls to do this. It doesn't subvert the OS by any means. Generally, as long as you don't commit a crime, you may use anything you pay for how you feel fit. OEMs always have disclaimers limiting their responsibility to damages you create using their product. They don't warrenty that the product is fit for the application you intend to use it for.

In summary, there shouldn't be any legal issues in using Xpadder with anything you own.

edit: Dang, mnl beat me again :lol:

FullofQs

Post by FullofQs »

Thanks for all the info.

Ok. So from this it looks like xpadder is just a normal application (I was kinda thinking it was a driver emulator like virtual DVD or some hack into windows OS etc.). Guess that makes it fine to use as long as it is licensed properly?

BTW, just wondering if it uses standard windows API then howcome M$ hasn't released anything like this for Windows as yet? OR are the maybe planning to do so?

mnl1121
Xpadder Xpert

Post by mnl1121 »

I'd assume it uses the standard windows API but thats really a question only Jonathon can answer. As for MS, why haven't they released a million other programs? Because they just haven't i guess.

Jonathan
Xpadder creator

Post by Jonathan »

Xpadder is for personal use only. The link that M gave you is the one you need to keep an eye on.
Xpadder does use a standard Windows API for safety.
Sometimes MS ignore something obvious - for example, their Xbox 360 ChatPad driver is awesome :roll:

rY

Post by rY »

Does the Chat thingy for the xbox360 controller work with every chat program?

SGTCableDog
Xpadder Xpert

Post by SGTCableDog »

The ChatPad "thingy" doesn't work with any chat program or any other program as no driver exists for it to work in Windows. The above post implied sarcasm.

Return to “More questions”